Mr Big Ego needs to go

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by theWORM, Jun 19, 2008.

1. max

max All-Star

Eveyone is making such good points both ways about this - Still on the fence though.

Guess I could go either way but it would be dissapointing if we came back with the exact same team next year. They might not even be enough anymore to make it to the ECF, who knows. Have to have a lot of faith in the young guys and in Curry to play/develop them.

Wish we knew more about Amir Johnson, I still do not have a good read on what kind of player he will be yet.
  2. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'll second the amir part... if he would have gotten the mins he earned last year i think we'd be alot more clear on what we need coming into next year... same can be said for AA.

can't find it now, but the comments made by brez on flip sure go along with what we all say about flip being afraid to play anybody besides the starting 5.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed played for Mo Cheeks in Portland right before getting traded.

Did Billups become less effective in Flip's system that relied heavily on the PG? I think yes. He was more effective under LB where he was more of a role player. CB leads the team in terms of being introduced last and being featured in ads. That's where it ends though.

He can punish people in the post, but over the last 3 years their offense has suffered because they can't feed the post. In the rare event that they could actually get him the ball inside, he either fell down making his move or had the ball knocked away. Also, he is way more likely to drive hoping to get fouled than to score. Shooting was an after thought.

No one could argue that CB is a better player than Rondo, but Rondo fit much better. KG, Allen & Pierce along with Sheed, Rip etc are older type players. Having a young player who makes mistakes but makes hustle-ish plays may be a better fit at this point.

They can not come back counting on CB, Rip & Tay all being key contributors any more. They are too slow and too easy to guard now. You don't need 1 for 1 PG value for CB. If they got a scorer like Melo say, the burden would not be as high on Stuckey. Getting a legit lifer backup PG to go with him could make them better overall.
  4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Right on, my sentiments exactly. You put it in perspective for me RM, I am just plain old sick of him.
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I would disagree on Rip. He's not easy to guard by any means. I am not sure there's a defender in the NBA who can drastically slow him down. But his game is different from Tay and Chauncey.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I totally agree with this.

Additionally, I REALLY want to see Carmelo Anthony on this team. It could backfire...but I would take the chance.

I'm also hoping the Pistons can hang on to both the Brahma and A.J. (We already know Stuckey is safe).

I don't care which or how many of the starters they give up as long as it might improve the team.

I guess the scariest one to drop is Billups. I'm not a CB fan, but I realize he's valuable. It sure worked out well having those three guards during the Bad Boys era.

I definitely think they need to make a change or two. Besides, this team bores me as it is.

Good points being made by people on both sides of the debate. Guess I'll just keep my butt on the fence and hope for the best.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Really? What if you jump his screens and/or get physical with him?
  8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This is why a trade should not be made until the season starts to roll. Both CB and Sheed play very well under coaches who keep them in check. If Curry can be that coach than both players become values to the Pistons again. I think CB's struggles have more to do with his role change rather than his age change. Chauncey has had the same burning out effect in 06,07, and 08. If those were truly due to age why would it happen in 06 after he had another Finals MVP performance the year before?

Is it too late to get that type of Chauncey back? Maybe or maybe not. That's why Joe should be very patient.
  9. FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH

FORTHELUVOFSMOOTH First Round Draft Pick

Robert Michael when has Chauncey ever said anything at the wrong time. You guys always take what he says out of context. He's not arrognant, or cocky that's just his confidence showing. I'm so sick of you guys bashing him. He may not display his emotions that way you want him to but take a closer look. After the Game 6 lost you can tell he was hurt. He might not have been as emotional as Dice or Sheed but you can still tell it was there. It is so stupid to sit here and discredit what his family situation is keeping him out of the Olympics. Didn't he miss a game against the Clippers to fly home to tend to family issues. Didn't Chris McCosky speculate something was going on early in the playoffs. So to all of you Chauncey-Haters I hope he does leave and that this team suffers at the PG position. If it's Stuckey I hope he becomes a turnover machine. It's like y'all don't even know him anymore, and this disheartening.
  10. max

max All-Star

If does not work out with Carmello then he can always be traded. There will be a demand for him either way.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

On point.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

G, you're too much, thanks for not going " gay man love" on me.
    ... Detroit Basketball is guard driven. Not Center, PF or SF. I'm for whatever gets us over the top. Rebounding seemed to be the issue this P/O series. Maybe Camby is the guy.
    Amir is the kind of guy where you get him the ball near half court and let him go til they stop him. But we'll try and turn him into a Nazz.
    ...You people need to go to Vegas if you need to gamble. Moving CB is high risk. But that doesn't mean JD can't swing a 3/4 way swindle to improve this team.
    ...I know like most of the talent JD has given away we'll watch it from afar and say, Damn we could still use that.
  13. max

max All-Star

Its a risk either way. I just don't see a safe route anymore, that is if you agree that what we have is not working anymore. Comming back with the same product and putting all your chips on the new coach would be a huge risk in itself.

For the past 3 years Dumars has been betting on the core and has been losing. I still think we are going to see something big, just has not happened yet. When Dumars has done overhauls in the past its been over summer to give the team some time to gell.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

The risk to me is picking up Melo simply because he plays SF and they've been beaten senseless by SF's lately.

Billups can play, yes. Same goes for this core. What if they had added an athletic SF with some strength to backup Tay? One that could keep in front of Pierce? Would that have helped the rebounding? If they had that would they be able to focus on keeping Rondo outside and stay closer on KG as well? I don't know where they're going to find someone like that, but you get the point.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Ernie...Boozer ?
  16. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

You got to be crazy if you think Utah will give Boozer to anyone. :stooges:
  17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Then that's who we need...
    I'm still willing to see what different coaching can do.
    Forget all the trades.
  18. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

That pretty much sums up what I wanted to say.
  19. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

Easy there killer! Don't hate on Stuckey just because of your love of Chauncey. Chauncey is CLEARLY a great player, but there is no argueing that he is aging and no argueing that the Pistons need to make some sort of change. Chauncey has great trade value, thats why all the trade Chauncey talk. Besides, his "family issues" are the cause of some of this trade talk (specifically to Denver). I don't doubt that he is having family issues, my guess is that all married men the in the NBA probably go through it to some extent because the NBA life has to be hell on a family.
  20. himat

himat Bench Warmer

My worry is that we won't get equal value for him. I still think he can be the best playoff PG again because of the coaching change.

There is no way Carmello is worth both Chauncey and Tayshaun. Everything we criticize Chauncey for, Carmello does twice as much. Carmelo rarely uses his size and shoots jumpers instead of posting. The guy rarely passes. He doesn't play defense or crash the boards. He doesn't hustle. And he is not a leader.

In Chauncey's case. I say we wait until November/December. He is a player that is made or broken by the coach.