Mr Big Ego needs to go

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by theWORM, Jun 19, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

:pound:

Magette
  2. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm not going to sit here and harp on billups, but his skillset, age, somewhat arrogant/cavalier attitude, and the emergence of stuckey make him fairly expendable in a move to bring back a strong 3/4/5.
  3. Capn

Capn First Round Draft Pick

I took the time to read all 13 pages of this thread. Some posts I skipped, some I took the time to read in it's entirety.

As others, I am kind of on the fence with Chauncey. With a slight lean towards trying to trade him.

The pros...
    • The ability to use his strength to post up most point guards.
    • Low TOs
    • Ability to hit clutch free throws (99% of the time)
    The cons...
    • 2 on 1 fast breaks and him stopping at the 3point line to shoot.
    • His inability to contain the "faster, more athletic" PGs of the NBA.
    • Lack of a killer instinct.
    • Confidence vs Cockiness... doing vs saying... walking vs talking
    • Ego... things have never been the same since he became an All-Star...more so when he was in the MVP race talk.
    I would not be saddened if he was moved. The only person of the starting 5 I would not like to see moved is Prince (he has shown that he can be a #1 or #2 option in this offense).
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Prince is my favorite player, but he has trouble forcing points when we need them. He's way better as an opportunistic scorer and a fast break finisher.
  5. Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho First Round Draft Pick

Couldn't agree more (except he isn't my favorite player, actually I am not sure I have one...maybe Maxi).
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Bup-Bup isn't the weak link on this team. He may be our best player. Tay is a weak link only in the way we use him. He doesn't get the ball at half court so he can create in the open [half] court.
    Rip isn't a problem either.
  7. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

All I can say is be careful what you wish for. I love Chauncey and his game and I for one will miss that big smile and just smooth persona if he got traded somewhere. The Pistons are an incredibly gifted team that has one of the best track records going and we'll see how well they do this year with a new coach. The Piston player that should be traded is Sheed not Chauncey. Sheed is just too much of a distraction and he is a truly gifted athlete but his shenanigans on the court and his constantly running his mouth and high technical count are just irritating.

Give me a player that's willing to take the last shot and carry the team on their back any day of the week. It's a rare quality for players to want to step up and either be the hero or the goat and Chauncey is always willing to take on that role.

So I'm all for making a trade but not Chauncey.
  8. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Question: Is Chauncey's ego larger or smaller than Baron Davis'?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_9686357

"Given that stalemate, it's possible that Davis, who wants to stay in the Bay Area but was disappointed with the lowball offers from the Warriors, will ask to be dealt. And the team source said that the Detroit Pistons, rebuffed initially in their attempts to pry forward Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets, are now looking at Davis as a potential target." Supposedly would include Sheed and Al Harrington as well.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

If it was Chauncey + filler for Baron straight up, I'd do it in a a second.

Don't like Al Harrington, and Chauncey + Sheed for Davis is too much.
  10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry, but I disagree. As far as coaching goes, Flip was the biggest hindrance to this team, but if I'm looking at players to bounce #1 is #1. For all the BS 3's with 18 on the shot clock and standing out at the top of the key, along with running the pick and roll only to fade out for a jumpshot even further away than where he started (nevermind the constant playing for fouls as opposed to finishing the play). Our offensive woes stem primarily from not getting dribble penetration and simply passing the ball around the arc.

If moving Chauncey results in us getting any number of players in return who are more apt to drive the lane than stand and shoot, or kick and kick, or however anyone wants to look at it. That will do 10X more to improve this team's play than simply brining in another guy to hoist 25 shots per night.
  11. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

Billups/ Prince / Max
    for #2 (Beasley) and Marion (S&T)

We are:
    Stuckey/ MLE or #29
    RIP/ Aflalo
    Marion/ Johnson or #29
    Beasley/ Dyce/ Johnson
    Sheed/ Dyce/ Samb

We could ride the Stuckey/ Beasley train for a LONG time
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Great point. I would really hate to see us jump on a trade too fast. I want to see how this team looks under Michael Curry before that. Patience is a virtue.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is an excellent point. We have a new coach and the team will probably have a different vibe this year. Why don't we wait until the season starts to see how it feels? We can see how ready Stuck/ Maxiell/ and Amir are before pulling the trigger on big trade.

As it stands, we know that we have a team capable of getting to the ECF. It is also possible that we still have a team capable of winning it all if the coaching change works and the youngsters step up. Unless it is obviously in our favor, I would hold off on a trade until December-ish.
  14. Mike Honcho

I tend to agree. The problem with our offense and defense is that we have no big man down low. You need someone in the post and it sure is helpful to have someone like Big Ben to play rover down low.

Even Kobe would tell you how much easier his job was when Shaq (or Bynum) was there.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Now I am not saying NO changes should be made. The Pistons need to have a great pickup. Throw some effort out to get a guy like Artest (at this point he is worth the risk). If things do not work again then a trade has to be made. I know things have not worked 3 years in a row but I still think the coach will make a difference in that aspect. Usually when a team remains the same it does not have the same success as the previous year.

Personally I work my *** off in anything I do. When success starts coming to me though i tend to lose that killer instinct just a little bit. When I have a coach that thinks like me or people that think like me around me I don't have that problem. I think the Pistons have that same problem.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I doubt that. I know what he could tell you though...
  17. Mike Honcho

:pound::pound::pound:LMAO!!!!!!!!!!
  18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

AAAhhh!!! :pound::pound:

You know, I wouldn't put it past Sager in a bad suit to ask Kobe that.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Can't we just package a starter with Maxiell or Amir to get an upgraded starter?

Like Sheed + Max for a Bogut. Or something like that?

(I guess we'd have to pick up E-Gadz too, eh?)
  20. Mike Honcho

Seems silly to trade Maxi when he is almost exactly the player we would like to trade for (plays D, rebounds, block shots ...) although it would be nice if Maxi was big enough to play center (especially since he barely big enough to play PF).