Muhammad vs. McCollum vs. 3rd Big

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, May 13, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Would like to have a centralized debate between these two players.

Let's assume some things. #1) We don't get lucky in the lotto, we've got the #7 pick. #2) The consensus top six - Noel, McLeMore, Bennett, Porter, Burke, Oladipo - are off the board.

In this probable scenario, we're most likely looking at Shabazz, C.J., or a third big man. Let's debate.

I personally have no interest in adding a third big man with such an important pick, so I'll let the rest of the board address that.

For me, it's C.J. vs. Shabazz.

I L-O-V-E LOVE McCollum. I see a lot of Lillard potential in him. I think he handles the ball, passes the ball, and sees the court well enough to be a great NBA point guard, much better than Knight at least. He's an incredible scorer...he can hit the outside three's, he can pull-up from anywhere, he can attack the basket. He's a solid athlete and he's got great size for the point position, should be a solid-enough defender. I love him man.

Muhammad is sort of the safe pick, was regarded as the consensus #1 overall pick going into the season. He's got the size, length and athleticism to be a solid wing defender. He attacks the basket and gets a lot of points. Boards good for the position. Intense. Not a great outside shooter though. Has some character concerns.

I'd be pleased to add either though, really.

Board thoughts?
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You have to take Giannis Adetokoubo if he is available.
    linwood likes this.
  3. linwood

linwood All-Star

You're living in a fantasy world. :rolleyes:

No way he will still be available.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  4. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Shabazz is the next Micheal Beasley, all talent, no character.

I'd take CJ out of these two. And I wouldn't bother adding a 3rd inexperienced big man. I'd rather pay for a rotation big in FA.
    KGREG likes this.
  5. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I'd make blueadams my financial advisor because he puts a lot of thought into his opening posts.
    With that said...I'd let Laimbeer be my gardener Christmas lights installer bulb changer oh, never mind.......:)
  6. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

I am with you regarding not going after a 3rd big I don't think it is worth it with so many other holes in our roster.

But for me I'm coming around to the idea of Shabbazz with our pick. The main reason is he is has an alpha dog mentality. His entire life has been moulded towards being a leader which is something that this current squad needs. That doesn't necessarily mean he has to always take the game winner or take the most shots but this team sorely needs a leader. He has a quality offensive game and is from all reports is committed to being a great player.

I don't get that same vibe from CJ. Being undersized at 6'3 also gives me pause. Is he Monta Ellis? It would create an awfully small backcourt, although having a larger frontcourt would partially make up for it.
  7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

CJ fits well in the same way playing Singler at the 2 worked for the team. Singler helped with floor spacing and off ball movement. If Shabazz is the alpha dog scorer we want him to be, he's not going to slip. Yes we need a go to guy to score the ball but we don't need a ball dominant mediocre scorer. We had that in Stuckey. Stuck could have gotten his points but he tried to work within the system...and it exposed his game.

On the flip side Michael Carter Williams should be thrown into the discussion and KCP. The other pass first but can't score PG was Marshall and he's sucked as a pro if you believe the fans. However, 6'5" with passable D and a passing game to boot to pair with 6'3" Knight who can D up the opposing PG, MCW has potential to make up for what Knight lacks and may never make up.
    blueadams likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

When you are picking in the top 10, you take the best player on the board, irregardless of position. You don't skip a player (Carmelo Anthony) just because you already have someone (Tay Prince) at that position. It may come back to haunt you.
  9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think we need to separate these three options into three different threads.
    ...In fact, this very post probably deserves its own thread.
    ...After putting some thought into it, each sentence of this post deserves its own thread.
    ...Actually, I should have created individual threads for each word of this post.
    ...How about a thread for each letter in this post?
    ...OK, I'm off to create separate threads for each keystoke contained in this post.
  10. BillLaimbeer

I'm thinking that each line of your post should have its own separate domain name.
  11. Slippy

Like you don't get Knight over Kwahi Leonard because you have Prince and Daye and JJ and Summers and have a desparate need for a PG? First Stuckey then Knight. I wonder if Joe's player experience makes it hard for him to really see a good PG vs. a combo guard who can pass well.
  12. Slippy

http://ball.dont.lie

.com
  13. Kerghan

Kerghan First Round Draft Pick

This is a hard draft right now due to injuries and players not dominating as they were expected to.
    There are always players that drop due to stupid reasons (Andre Drummond) and teams regret it so as the others have said you take the best player available.
    Only problem is who the hell is the best player available??
    But that being said you certainly cannot claim that the alpha dog won't drop in the draft. There is always a chance of that. Kobe Bryant went 13th after all.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

My preference is to trade the pick if McLeMore, Porter, Burke and Oladipo are all off the board, but if we end up with either one McCollum or Muhammed- I won't be mad.
  15. Slippy

That's true.
  16. BillLaimbeer

OFF THE BOARD? Won't happen. We are going to win the lottery. Number one pick, baby!
    Walter, BallDon'tLie and linwood like this.
  17. linwood

linwood All-Star

If that happens, I think you have to seriously consider that Greek guy.
  18. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If that happens, you should get the highly coveted "Wiggles of the Year" award.
    linwood likes this.
  19. BillLaimbeer

Why do you think I feel so confident with that statement? I follow Wiggles on Twitter.
  20. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

You have to wonder if he will even still be available with the #1 pick. We need to plan for him having already being taken.