my fantasy team

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Warthog, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Well...first time playing Fantasy (although I'm writing a whole fantasy system for another site, but that's another story). My buddy said I had until Friday to pre-select the order of players that I wanted, but he screwed up and about half of us in a 10-team league had Yahoo just draft for us...no pre-ranking lol. However I think I ended up with a pretty decent team, but I was just curious what your thoughts were on it. The format is 5 starters + 1 utility, and 5 bench players.

Starting 5:

PG - Steve Nash - PHO
    SG - Larry Hughes - CLE
    SF - Rashard Lewis - SEA
    PF (/SF) - Andrei Kirilenko - UTA
    C (/PF) - Emeka Okafor - CHA

Utility:

PG/SG - Kirk Hinrich - CHI

Bench:

PG - Jason Terry - DAL
    SG - Doug Christie - DAL
    SF - Shane Battier - MEM
    PF - Drew Gooden - CLE
    PF/C - Kurt Thomas - PHO
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's a nice looking roster!
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

My Team

-chris paul
    -kobe bryant
    -peja stojacovic
    -manu ginobili
    -jermaine oneal
    -kyle korver
    -andrew bogut
    -stromile swift
    -josh howard
    -donyell marshall
    -raymond felton
    -jim jackson
    -joe smith
    -michael finley
    -corliss williamson

I dropped corliss for jeff foster, and after i clear waivers i will have dropped michael finley for jamaal tinsley. also i traded peja and donyell marshall for k-mart and Troy murphy. It looks like a stupid trade, but i needed rebounders, and i have a good free-throw shooting team, and have other 3 point threats besides peja in kobe, manu, korver, and jim jackson.
  4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Jeff Foster will be out of action for awhile...be prepared to have him benched for a month if you plan to keep him.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

yeah it said that on his player notes today. i think he'd be a good player on my team. I'm probably going to keep him unless I can make a good move with him.
  6. jammertime

Amare

Hahahaha

A guy in one of my other leagues just tried trading me Amare Stoudamire for Brad Miller. Amare is out at least 4 months and Yahoo no longer has IR.

We had a live draft and the guy grabbed Amare in one of the early rounds. I made a comment at the time how that was a big risk considering he was out for so long with no IR, now he's trying to trade me the guy.

If he were healthy I'd make the trade in a second. Of course, if he were healthy, there's no way he makes the trade proposal.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I actually tried putting Amare little higher than yahoo had him in my pre-draft rankings so i might have him on the bench, and when he got healthy i'd have a good player on my team. I didn't get him, but thats fine. I like my team.
  8. jammertime

I agree that he was worth the risk if Yahoo still had the IR position. But to take up a bench spot for 4 months is a risky move.

I especially wouldn't trade Miller, one of the top fantasy C's in the league for a guy who can't help me for at least 4 months.
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

can someone explain a rotisserie league for me? this is what i'm in - 10 man rotisserie. it says

Max Games Played: 82
    Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
    Max Moves: No maximum
    Max Trades: No maximum
    Waiver Time: No waivers
    Roster Positions: PG, SG, SF, PF, C, Util, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN
    Stat Categories: FG%, FT%, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO, PF, TECH

does this mean i can change my team daily, and that only the starters + utility on each given day are counted? i'm new to this, could use a little better explanation than yahoo's crappy one
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I've been asking the same thing warthog. Nobody seems to know. I think our novice league is like that too. :ohwell::confused:
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Y'all can change your rosters daily.

Rotissierre is just cumulative stats league wide instead of weekly head-to-head matchups.
  12. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

but bench players for that day do not count, correct? (i'm assuming that's the reason for bench players).

if i understand correctly, for daily changes and rotisserie it is probably better to have a deeper roster rather than 5 fantasy studs and 6 duds...right?
  13. Darth Tater

Roscoe,

Please bear with me on this:

OK, so lets pretend it is Monday, December 15 and only two teams play. They are the Brownies and the Flippers. But let's say I have one Flipper and zero Brownies. Do I play my Flipper that day and bench the rest of my squad or do I leave my squad blank that day and wait until a better guy on the Popeye team gets a chance to play the next day? I'm asking because I thought I saw somewhere that each position only gets 82 plays cumulatively. If I don't bench a guy who doesn't play that day does it count as one "play" for that position?

This is very confusing to me. Do my questions even make sense? Can somebody who has done this before explain it step by step to us rookies? I've played fantasy football (which is easy to understand) and I read the league rules but a lot is foggy. I really have no idea how this works. :sorry: Arrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

"If I don't bench a guy who doesn't play that day does it count as one "play" for that position? "

Yeah I'm confused as well!!
  15. MotownPride

That is exactly what that means. You can change your roster positions daily and on each given day those stats are counted. It's important to note that rotisserie play is not like head to head though. Rotisserie is a game of bulk numbers. Categories have a point value associated for each stat you accumulate. The goal is to finish with the largest amount of points for the season. In this format you do not face another manager each week and your stats do not reset weekly. In the end, the final place order will be based on who has the highest total points.
  16. MotownPride

okay, so first of all Tater you are in a Head to Head league so none of the cumulative rules apply.

There is no max to games you can have for a roster position in Head to Head play. This is because the stats reset every week for a player before each head to head matchup. Therefore your performance against another manager for the week is strictly based on:
    • cumulative stats for each of your players during that week
    • players that are in the "active" roster spots which would mean everything excluding BENCH
    As a manager, your strategy will be to determine which player should be assigned to an "active" roster spot every day based on:
    • schedule - can't get points if your player's team does not have a game that day
    • matchups - does your player have a date with Ron Artest that evening
    • health - is there a likely hood he won't suit up because he might be battlin' the flu
    • projected minutes - will the player warm the bench that game
    In most situations this is straight forward. If you have 10 players on your team that play on a day, then you place those players in the lineup if there is an available roster spot for their position.

If you have more than 10 players playing then you have some decisions to make. You will have to determine which players do not play on that day. Scheduling is very important to your fantasy b-ball livelihood. This is why it is important to monitor your opponent and take into account how many games your players will play that week when developing a strategy. It is also helpful to make sure you have players that play multiple positions so that you have more roster flexiblilty. Nothing worse than having alot of great players with no "active" roster spot to assign them to.

I hope this answers all your questions.
  17. Darth Tater

Motown,

Thank you very much!! Yes. That clarified everything for me, I believe.:hail:
  18. MotownPride

My experience has been that in a rotisserie league it can be more of a marathon than a foot race. With the max player position limitation your focus should be on quality starts versus quanity. I would actually make the arguement that the importance of having fantasy studs in rotisserie is more important because they will give you the biggest bang for your buck. The bench in this case will only serve to assist you when one of your stars goes down to injury or does not play for some other unfortunate reason. You have to figure that the average NBA player is never going to really play all 82 games, so you will need some resemblence of a bench to fill in for the missed starts.
  19. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Man I'm still confused heh. Okay, say I change my lineup daily to whichever team is playing. For the sake of argument, Phoenix plays every other day and Chicago also players every other day, in-between, so that any given day Phoenix or Chicago play.

Now, if I swap my roster daily between Nash and Hinrich, would I be done after each has played 41 games? (half the season), since I'd have 82 games at PG?

And if that is how the league is structured, then I would just leave my starters in constantly unless I know they're not playing a particular game?
  20. MotownPride

Now, if I swap my roster daily between Nash and Hinrich, would I be done after each has played 41 games? (half the season), since I'd have 82 games at PG?

Yep. That's why I don't generally enjoy playing using Rotisserie roles. Keep in mind that there is a UTIL spot (Can be used for any player on your team) in your league format that you can take advantage of.

And if that is how the league is structured, then I would just leave my starters in constantly unless I know they're not playing a particular game?

Well, you might also take them out if you think that your bench player might out perform your starter that night. Again, if your starter is matched up against Ron Artest, while your bench player will be guarded by Antoine Walker....you might want to do a roster change.