My favorite moment in Pistons' recent history...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Pwn Toney, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Fave moment

One of the most memorable Piston events of recent memory to me was when we won it all last year.

I was sitting in an eatery, kind of a restaurant only smaller, here in the Philippines where the popular teams get all the fans and last year's Lakers was as popular a team could get.

I was the lone Piston fan getting jeered on everytime a Laker made a shot and got jeered again when Kobe made that shot to rescue them from Game 2.

At the end of every game from there on out, I was putting a finger to my lips as I left the shocked crowd of Laker bandwagon fans with a smug smile on my face and popping a can of coke in lieu of champagne to celebrate the PISTONS' 5 game sweep of the Lakers. :eyebrows:

2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

OK...I'm going with an obvious one...but I've watched the replay of Tayshaun's block on Reggie Miller about 50 times and that play will live forever. The defining moment of the championship season. The whole thing, the look on Reggie's face..the way he kept the ball inbounds for Rip...a masterpiece.

3. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Favorite moment

That would have to be my favorite Piston moment as well. Not just 'The block heard 'round the world,' but, for me, it was the whole game. In that game we blocked 18 or 19 shots, and actually came within one block of the NBA record. "The Terror Dome" was in full effect that night.

That was also the "Guaransheed" game. So, you gotta love that as well!

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I remember the shot and I remember the guaranshee. But I had totally forgotten they were in the same game. Man, I'll bet Sheed took Tay out for dinner that entire week!

5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I think I like Tayshauns block on Reggie more than Chauncey's half-court prayer to send Game 5 against the Nets to overtime probably since we ended up beating Indiana that game. Still those are my favorite recent Piston plays.

6. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

My Favorite Piston Moment

Actually I have a couple from the same game. Game 1 of the 87-88 NBA Finals. Pistons go in as tremendous underdogs and most experts have them getting swept. Pistons jump out to a decent lead and just before the half they play for last shot, they find Laimbeer in the corner for 3! Its like 3 seconds left in the half and kareem throws a lazy inbounds pass and Zeke steals it near half court , takes a drbble and swish another 3 at the buzzer. The whole bench storms to the locker room and kareem and magic, and pat riley are shown looking at the scoreboard stun, down 17 points.l

7. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Piston Moment

Same game(1 of 87-88 Finals). Magic sets up on the right side of the box, runs a pick and roll with Micheal Thompson, thompson rolls to the basket for easy dunk when out of nowhere Rodman comes form the weak side and pins attempt on the glass. Very next possesion Lakers attemp same play but from other side of the court, once again Rodman explodes form the weak side and pins shot on glass. Pistons announced to the world in a big way that night that the Bad Boys were here and would have to be taken seriously.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

moments

I have 2 other moments that were pretty great at the time. The first was the time that Joe Dumars hit 5 straight 3-points (4 from the exact same spot) on consecutive offensive sets.

The other was when Terry Mills hit 11 straight 3's over a 2 game span and tied/set the NBA record.

If I remember correctly, both were in the Teal uniform days, and I was watching from my dorm room.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

i have to agree with Bill. The celebration of the NJ Nets after scoring 71 points (and, if I remember correctly, losing by double digits) was one of the greatest moments.

That couple of weeks was amazing. Just seeing the looks on players faces as they made the excuses: "It's not so much them, we just had a bad night" etc... was priceless.

10. Darth Tater

The one play that sticks out in my mind more than any other (well, there is "the pass" and the phantom foul on Laimbeer...but I'm talking good memories here) was a play against the Lakers in the finals. I just cannot remember whether or not it was the year the Pistons won.

During a very close Finals game Joe Dumars intercepted a pass or grabbed a loose ball and while in the air and out of bounds (by the basket to the right of my tv screen) he either passed it to a teammate or threw it off an L.A. defender. I wish I could remember more. The Pistons won the game but I can't remember if it was the year they won the championship or the year they lost. That image of him flying through the air and making that heads up play is the one image that always burns through my mind when I think about the Pistons.

11. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

championship year

I think it was the year that they won because Joe Dumars was the NBA finals MVP for that performance..and I kinda remember that being one of the plays that they said summed up his performance that year.

12. Darth Tater

Motown

That sounds about right.

Do you also remember that crazy/great shot he made the day his dad died (he didn't know his dad had passed at that time...they waited to tell him until after the game). Anyhow, after he made it Isiah turned to someone and said "That was his dad who made that one."

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Oh snap! I forgot about that. Yep, I remember it well. Joe Dumars has always been such a class act...that was perhaps one of Zeke's best calls. :)