NBA 2011-12 - around the league

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Brap, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

Boston at the Knicks on right now. Boston looks like an old-also ran team to me. They look old, like a team that won't hold up over the compressed season. And they're featuring Chris Willcox off the bench - ugh.

The Knicks look explosive. I don't see a team featuring two offense only players like Melo and Amare winning any championships, ever. But they're going to give teams fits this season, nonetheless.

One thing that seems obvious to me. In comparison with a guy like Amare, the Pistons have absolutely nobody who scares anybody as an inside scoring threat. I'm not sure how critical that is long term. The Celtics had no-one who dominated inside on offense either, and they won a championship. (Garnett is NOT an inside player on offense.) Still, it's worth noting that the Pistons lack this right now. Maybe Monroe can develop into that player in a few years - but more likely, we'll be drafting someone who can fill that role.
  2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I saw this game and Rondo was espectacular.
  3. Brap

Brap Starter

I hope Knight turns into a player with similar point guard skills to Rondo. He's certainly long enough, fast enough, athletic enough and with that same freaky wingspan. His IQ and feel for the game? Well, we'll have to see about that. Of course, Knight will likely be a much better outside shooter.
  4. Brap

Brap Starter

Kevin Durant is tremendous. Not new information, I suppose.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That was an amazing win by Rose Chicago today. What a comeback. Rip was plagued with fouls it looked like.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

His winning shot...a moon ball over a player who got a hand up and stands 7'1" .........was glorious....
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Rondo's PG game at Kentucky was legit, can't say the same for Brandon. Rondo has a very "sprecial" feel for the game that very few have.
    linwood likes this.
  8. Brap

Brap Starter

Rondo was merely ok his first year in the nba. He played two years at kentucky. He was the 21st pick and didn't start for a couple months on a lousy celtics team.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think that is accurate.
  10. Brap

Brap Starter

I edi
    I edited my comment shorty after I posted it. He came on some in the second half of his rookie year. He was a gawd awful shooter who showed potential as a point guard. 2nd team all-rookie in a very shallow draft for guards. (In other words, aside from Brandon Roy, Rondo was in a crap guard class so 2nd team all-rookie was no biggie).

I think Rondo is great. But he didn't start out that way.
  11. Brap

Brap Starter

I caught some of the Okl- T-Wolves game last night. Four impressions: K-Durant is the best player in the league. Rubio is incredible - best passer in the league since Jason Kidd. (As great as Paul and D-Will and Rondo are as point guards, Rubio is the best passer of all of them. I'm not saying he's better or as good as they are, just that he's best passer.)

Okl has an outstanding team - very balanced. Perkins helps them a lot and they've got other physical guys too, plus with Durant, OMG. They are my pick to come out of the West.

T-Wolves have amazing building blocks in Rubio, Love, Williams. Could definitely be a playoff team.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Rubio sure looks to be a awesome passer but I'd hesitate to put him infront of those guys. And I'd add Nash to the list ahead of him.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The fact that Adelman is hesitant to move Love to center is a really good indication that the Pistons are way undersized.

I'm glad Rubio is in the league. Exciting player if nothing else. From a pure fan standpoint, it really is valuable to have the small market teams have some players that are worth watching.
  14. Brap

Brap Starter

The Pistons are going to be one of the five worst teams in the league. I don't mind so much AS LONG AS we see good development from Monroe, Knight, Stuckey (at SG), Daye and JJ. In the meantime, for the first time in forever, I'm going to try to enjoy the rest of the league, and follow guys in the league I admire - while rooting against Miami and Boston (I hate those two teams).
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

...or you could simply concentrate on providing some killer halftime entertainment.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rough start for Okur so far. Nets are down 96-60 to the Hawks.

Okur has played 15 minutes.
    0 points
    2 rebounds
    1 assist
    0 blocks
    1 turnover
    5 personal fouls
    -15 plus minus
    0-4 shooting with 3 of them being 3-point chucks

TMac is 5-10 though!

The Hawks actually look really good on paper.
    TMac, Pargo, Radmonovic, Pachulia, Willie Green, and Stackhouse off the bench! And their starters are extremely solid. Sleeper pick.
  17. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Didn't Jerry Stackhouse retire 2 or 3 years ago?
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Miami Heat seems to be struggling against the zone defense of the Celtics. I'm sure all teams will try this against Miami. The Heat will eventually figure it out.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Nope. He made 3 FG's last year and he decided that he would bring his talents to ATL.

By the way, speaking of over the hill vets, a pretty pathetic game from Jermaine O'Neal tonight as the Celt's starting center against the Heat.

22 minutes
    0 points
    1 rebound
    1 steal
    1 turnover
    4 fouls
    0-1 shooting
    L

What was he doing out there?

Luckily, they now have Chris Wilcox who subbed in for him and had 0 points on 0 FG attempts in 9 minutes.
  20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Is this a joke?