NBA.Com Premier Championship

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by MotownPride, Oct 8, 2006.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dude, you I reckon you should try and trade Curry off your team. He doesn't contribute in anything other than points and FG%. He doesn't even grab 6 boards a game, he has pretty high TO's for a big man and his AST, STL & BLK numbers combined is a paltry 1.5! You might be able to swindle someone based on his name and points production.

I think your trade was pretty good. However owning 3 GSW players can be pretty nerve-wracking considering how Nellie likes to mess with his lineups constantly.

I'd probably go with Ginobili even though its only 2 games. With Duncan being out his production should increase, while Azubuike is a bit of a gamble right now. Moore isn't much chop despite playing 5 games.

Good luck bro!

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, Curry has slown down a bit. His value is not as low in our league as in Yahoo because turnovers are not factored in. Its a 8 cat league. I've already conceded the blocks category so he really is only killin' me with inconsistent rebounding and FT%.

The waiver wire is very thin so there's not much I can grab. (which explains why Mikki Moore is still on my roster) I've been actively searching for an Azubuike, Curry taker but it hasn't happened yet.

On the trade, it was definitely a sell high for Billups. I feel fairly confident that Ellis's and Jackson's place in the lineup is secure.

Oh yeah, I opted to play Ginobili based on the same criteria you mentioned. (I guess great minds think a like) Thanks for the feedback webz. Its appreciated. :)

3. MotownPride

Just pulled off a trade.

Moved Curry and Azubuike for Okur and D. Stevenson.

Now my starting lineup looks like this:

PG - M. Ellis
    SG - J. Johnson
    SF - D. Wilkins
    PF - S. Jackson
    C - M. Okur
    Util - M. Ginobili

Bench - M. Moore
    Bench - D. Stevenson

Not bad considering my starting lineup at the beginning of the season was:

PG - Billups
    SG - J. Johnson
    SF - Azubuike
    PF - M. Moore
    C - E. Curry
    Util - M. Ginobili

Bench - K. Perkins
    Bench - D. Wilkins

4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd have to say that you got the better end of that deal for sure.

5. webz

That's a great trade Motown. Now you just have to hope Okur stays healthy. Stevenson has been stepping up with Arenas out as well. Good job. :thumb:

6. webz

Just been checking out this league you're in Motown. First in your division, doing well. Looks like you have this weeks matchup in the bag against another division leader. Way to go!

Did you recently trade Joe Johnson for Turkoglu? I reckon thats a pretty good trade, the only downside I see is that Orlando's schedule of games during the fantasy playoffs is pretty brutal. Do you have a trade deadline in this league?

I'll have to see about applying for the D-League next year. I think you put in a good word for me too considering you've never beaten me in a head-to-head matchup. haha.

7. MotownPride

Ha.... lol.

Thanks for following my squad, bro! The trade deadline passed last week... The primary reason for the trade was to give myself more flexibility with my lineup given that I had so many SGs on my team. I also get a boost in FG% and 3's (slightly). Not to mention, I was expecting a drop in assists from Johnson due to the Bibby trade. The schedule difference is a bit of a concern, but I think that my team is so stacked compared to my competition that the differential will be neglible. Considering we have so much offensive guard-oriented heat, its remarkable that we've lingered around the 50% FG mark for three weeks straight. Having checked the stats, there is noone in the league able to beat us at this point. We are just praying for good health in the playoffs. I'm also "banking" on the fact that Marcus Banks will evolve into a more prominent role in Miami come playoff time. It will give me a nice secret weapon along with Stevenson from the bench. Thaddeus Young was a great wire pickup for me as well.

My lineup for the playoff run:

PG - M. Ellis
    SG - M. Ginobili
    SF - H. Turkoglu
    PF - S. Jackson
    C - M. Okur
    Util - T. Young

Bench - M. Banks
    Bench - D. Stevenson

Not sure what the D-League entry requirements are anymore. I will definitely shoot you a recommendation if its possible. ...right after I finally whip your butt this week! :)

8. MotownPride

Been kinda out of it lately. I apologize for the late reply. Thanks for the support Jammer!

9. MotownPride

Finished with the league's top record. Number one seed in the playoffs.

Wish me luck!

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Way ta go Mo! :thumb:

16 playoff spots?

11. MotownPride

Yep. Just like the NBA...

Thanks!!!!

12. MotownPride

Only higher seed to make it to round 2 in the playoffs off the strength of a 10-10 night from the free throw line courtesy of Manu.

Just a couple more weeks to the promised land...

13. MotownPride

So, just in case I didn't tell you guys....

I ended up losing in the semis. My team literally did not show up to play. So is the risk when playing the fantasy b-ball playoffs at the end of the regular season. As a semi-finalist, I did however qualify for NBA.com Premier Championship III! I am deemed a "Legend" this time around and will be playing against a brand new group of managers (minus the other 3 managers from last year's final four)

This year they have a couple new rules, but most remain the same:

Going Head-to-Head (Most Fantasy Points is a Win) this season. Reason for that is simple: Ties. No one wants to lose because of a tie-breaker, especially in the playoffs. The scoring is the same as the standard scoring format for UFC leagues as well as the one used on NBA Stock Exchange.

Points Scored 0.5
    Total Rebounds 1.5
    Assists 2
    Steals 3
    Blocked Shots 3
    Turnovers -2
    Field Goals Made .54
    Free Throws Made .25
    3 Pointers Made 1
    Field Goals Missed -.46
    Free Throws Missed -.75

Roster will be:
    PG
    SG
    SF
    PF
    C
    UTL
    BENCH
    BENCH

The draft will not be snake. The draft order will be the same each round. Draft order is determined by each manager choosing a team and a franchise player. Those managers who choose lower ranked players will receive a higher draft spot.

So to me the strategy is simple. Attempt to get a strong sleeper pick so that you can pick high each round. Player rankings have already been determined (using rotowire's current draft kit).

I'd love to get some suggestions from you guys.

Since I am a legend, I luckily get 3rd pick (for team selection).

So which team would you select and who would you make your franchise player?

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't understand picking teams.

15. MotownPride

Oh, okay I will explain.

In this league, there is a manager for each actual NBA Team meaning that 30 managers compete together in the same league. Team selection order is based on performance from the previous year. The top 4 from last year get to pick their teams first. The new managers who were selected based on winning their respective D-Leagues last year, then pick. Their team selection order is based on winning percentage from the previous year.

When you select your team, you then need to chose a franchise player. That franchise player must play on the actual team you selected in real life in order to be eligible.

Here is an example:

Based on my record from last year (3rd Place), I get to pick my NBA team 3rd.

(1)Cleveland - Franchise (Lebron James)
    (2)Boston - Franchise (Rajon Rondo)
    (3)
    I pick the Detroit Pistons.
    I then choose Rasheed Wallace as my franchise player.

Based on the picks.
    • Cleveland, Boston and Detroit can no longer be selected
    • The draft order throughout the entire draft will be Boston, Detroit and then Cleveland based on our franchise player's rating
    • There are no restrictions to eligible players after the first round has been completed (franchise player round)
    Does that make sense?

16. webz

Do you get to see player rankings before you choose your franchise player?

I think the best way to do it would be pick the team last. Get yourself together 10 or so sleepers who you think are likely to break out, do some research, see where they are ranked, then when you have picked your super sleeper the team choice takes care of itself.

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'd go with Amir as your franchise player...he should put you at the top of the draft :MusicBigGrin:

18. MotownPride

Exactly! That's the strategy I'm taking. The listing has already been posted so I'm checking them all out now. If you're interested I can send you the excel spreadsheet. I'm soliciting all the feedback I can.

Amir Johnson is barely on the list so he would be an instant high pick but I'm looking for a player with a much better upside. A player that will be sharing time with multiple players is not a good look. I need to predict a starter. Someone who could turn to a Monte Ellis or somethin'.

19. webz

I wouldn't pick Amir. It maybe doesn't have to be a deep sleeper. Guys who are coming into good situations this year as well. ie.

Time-share guys now with the job to themselves - Jose Calderon comes to mind.

Guys behind injury-plagued guys on the depth chart - Spencer Hawes maybe? Brad Miller can't stay healthy...

It all depends on how they are ranked.

I haven't started doing any research for basketball yet, but yeah, send through the spreadsheet, I'd be interested to see who you are looking at.