NBA Dress Code

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 7, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

http://www.hoopsworld.com/printer_14487.shtml

That's an article on the new NBA dress code (which no one appears to be 100% clear on). Apparently players are expected to dress professionally at all times including pre/post-game, the flights, interviews etc.

A lot of the new-generation ballers are not so hot on it, and I can see how some standard should be set seeing as how some guys plain look dumpy or ridiculous. They make enough money.

On the other hand, the NBA has basically become a superstar's league since the Showtime Lakers. It's all about personalities, as individual matchups are marketed with more passion than organization vs. organization.

I will be sad to see the end of Ben Wallace sporting a Tiger's cap on the way to the San Antonio arena for a Finals game, and wonder when the NBA starts to legislate hair, jewellery and running shoes next. After all, doesn't Nike et al want their shoes on these heavily marketed players at ALL times? Since when did Air Jordans go with grey polyester?

I for one would enjoy seeing guys dressed like pimps and the role players on min contracts wearing thrift store tuxes.

Can you see Rasheed showing up to an interview in this?

[​IMG]
  2. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Worst idea ever. The league shouldn't have the right to control the players so much. Its a fundamental freedom of theirs to wear whatever they want; maybe if they were on the job (heading into the arena and out) then it'd make sense but this doesn't.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Dress code

I heard A.I. is pissed. No more throwback jerseys.
  4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Yes A.I. is ticked. So is Sheed, antonio Davis, josh Childress, and many others.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think its totally unnecesary.
  6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You know, usually when they make unpopular (stupid?) rules like this it's because one or two people are making them look bad and they can't just single them out (players Union) so everyone has to suffer with a blanket policy. (Maybe they were mad about Maxiell sporting the pink hat) :laugh:
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

what a meaningless rule.

we are talking about adults for heavens sake!
  8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

9. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Useless

I have thought for a long time that the NBAers when they are not dressed for games, are without a doubt the best-dressed athletes of all the sports. They virtually always show up dressed like fashion plates.

And when they dress in things like IA, they are usually making some sort of statement.

Leave them alone, Stern. Just leave them alone when they are on their own time. They usually look better dressed than you do, anyway :eyebrows: .
  10. ggazoo69

Dress code

This is all about the image of the NBA. Stern probably still recoils at the thought of Pacers players going into the stands and pummeling fans. Also, I feel Stern thinks there is a racial disconnect in the NBA. He sees a lot of young tattooed black players wearing throwback jerseys and bling and he sees that as "turning off" all the white, suburban fans. I hate to bring race into this, but I think that's a large part of this dress code deal. Of course, a lot of the white, suburban fans wear the throwback jerseys, too. So what's your problem, Dave? :ohwell:
  11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, I heard about that the other day. I love it!

I can't see there being enough room in NY for Thomas, Brown, Marbury and their egos.
  12. roscoe36

Zeke is a better coach than a GM. That's stupid to force a guy to play if he doesn't want to. He says it's not charity, but it will be when Davis sulks or doesn't bring 100% and still earns his paycheck.

That's one thing about Joe D. If you don't want to be here, SEE YA LATA!
  13. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Who cares?? Larry wants to bring in another guy instead of Davis.
  14. roscoe36

Actually, Larry wants Davis. Davis is an LB guy (from Indiana), a veteran, a pro and a locker room leader.

But in an interview I heard on Jim Rome during the summer, he really wants to be in Chicago because his wife is there now, and (knowing him from when he was in Toronto) his wife is the boss.
  15. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

You are lucky I couldn't find the source of my comment. If Davis doesn't not stay with New York, Brown has already plugged in a name for his replacement. Has anyone else seen it??
  16. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

dress code is crap

will sheed be able to wear his championship belt??

the league tries to make money off of inner city youth. but once you start making the money they want you to convert/sell out. most of these players never wore suits in thier normal day to day life. why should they have to wear a suit to go play basketball.

the dress code is deep down racist. it specifically targets the way african american athletes dress. it targets the culture that they were raised in. i don't know any white specific clothing attire. but if the nba said white athletes had to wear cornrows all of america would be up in arms.

neck tattoos aren't professional either. but the league doesn't have a problem promoting iverson and making money off of him.

what about new zealand. don't they wear a unitard on the court or something?? that's unprofessional if i ever seen it.

when stern goes to visit the youth in detroit or something should he be made to wear a throwback so he can fit in??
  17. ggazoo69

Sheed's belt

Hopefully, Sheed will put that thing away and not bring it out again unless the Pistons win another one. I thought it was ridiculous to wear that thing during the playoffs. The Patriots (of the NFL) have the right idea. After winning a Super Bowl, they don't make references to it during the new season. They realize they haven't won anything. The Pistons and more specifically, Sheed, should have done that last season.
  18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

There is alot of truth to what you are saying and I applaud you for your boldness. You've got my respect. :thumb: I agree with pretty much all of your points, except we sometimes forget that when you really look at it this is a business. If Commissioner Stern thinks that everyone should wear bunny rabbit suits your option is to comply by the rules or leave. Unfortunately, there is no competitive alternative so the athletes hands are tied. That is of course, unless they decide to pull there resources together and come up with an alternative themselves creating a league where the ownership matches the faces of the players. Since that isn't happening...well quite frankly...they need to just suck it up and put on the suit. I don't find the dress code to be meaningful, but the league has every right to dictate what they consider to be in ther realms of proffesionalism for their company.
  19. roscoe36

I'm curious to know what people think about the approach that should be taken.

Is it better to make clear what should NOT be worn, or what should be?

Which is more restrictive? Which targets a particular demographic (think both ways) here?
  20. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

Particular Demographic

Interesting question. Who is the real DEMOGRAPHIC. Adoring kids & young adults, season ticket buying adults, suite & bulk ticket buying corporations, or mega millions corporate advertisers. Does it matter and why should it. Each segment has a specific set of expectations of the league and perceptions about the league. If the league perceives or wishes a demographic shift, shouldn't it react accordingly.