NBA Dress Code

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Dress Code

I personally don't see what the big deal is. There is room for some compromise but there should be a dress code. I agree wearing a suit on your way to the game and before the game and after the game is crazy but if you are making an apprearance on a TV show or a charity function and even if you are injuried or not playing and are on the bench you should be in business casual wear. I think you should dress appropiately. Some of these guy's simply just don't know what is appropiate to wear so they have to be told. They are getting paid an awlful lot of money to play basketball so if the league says suit up fellas I don't see the big deal.

Like I said there should be a compromise but I think there should be some form of a dress code and it should not be a big deal. It is not a real big deal like some of the players are making it out to be. It is more of an image issue the NBA is trying to change. Is it the right thing for them to try address and is the dress code really the answer??? Well that is another subject totally.

2. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

Dress Code

What are we talking about here? The right to wear throwback jerseys? This is nothing more than another example of NBA players being pathetically immature. Where's the travesty, in having to don a suit? You give me the opportunity to play in the NBA, pulling down that kind of Jack, I'll wear a dang Tu-Tu to and from games. They're acting like they're asking them to show up in their underwear, for goodness sakes.

We're right in the middle of people dying in hurricanes and earthquakes and these numbskull's want to fight for the right to wear Rip city or Philadelphia Flyer jerseys? They should be more worried about pulling down a dang rebound in game seven or getting Bruce Bowen off their back side.

If it's good enough for the best player in the history of the NBA, to show up looking presentable, then it should be good enough for the rest of these guys. I would think there is more important things for these cats to be worried about, like getting off on a fast start to start the season, as opposed to getting embarrassed by the likes of the Bobcats and the Hawks.

This is one of the examples of picking your battles. Save it for something a little more worthwhile.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

dress code

I'm forced to wear a suit and I'm not happy about it either. However, I don't think that I'll be complaining too much to Corporate Headquarters.

Pick your battles is a good suggestion for them. The league probably picked this issue to keep all the players busy on something meaningless.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I'd like to know what the actual policy will state. It's a question of breadth for me.

If it really is just for interviews, flights, walking in and out of the arena, etc. I have no problem with it at all and I think the NBA is well within their rights to request that of players.

But if Sheed is in San Antonio next year for game 4 (he he...an away game this time) of the NBA finals and he wants to go to the 7-11 and grab a banana slurpee 3 hours before or after the game then I think it is highly unreasonable to force him to put on a suit to do that.

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Stern's dress code

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0510/18/D05-352477.htm

Is Stern outta his mind? How he came up with this is beyond comprehension. What's next? Limitations on tatoos and piercings? (neither of which I favor for MYSELF...what OTHER people want to do is not my business) Or will it be facial hair or hairstyles?

The article states that Stern will announce penalties next week. Here is my idea. Make the penalty a small fee (by player standards)...maybe a $100 per public appearance infraction. Then have the NBA direct that money to a charity of that player's choice.

BTW...I nominate Chauncey for best-dressed in the NBA

6. Darth Tater

If Stern wants the players to abide by that dress policy there is no way, IMO, he is going to come up with anything as minimal as a $100 fine. If it's going to cost them money it is going to cost them a whole lot more. Maybe more each time they get caught.

The charity idea would be workable though, and is a really nice idea.

7. detteam

detteam All-Star

You're right about Stern. The hundie was my idea to give the players freedom to express themselves while supporting worthwhile causes. It would probably be a nightmare for Stern/NBA to keep track of, but what the hell else do they do besides deal with Artest?...the CBA's done

8. Darth Tater

LOL @ dealing with Arsetest.

9. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Why the headphone ban??

There is no reason that I have seen for a dress code. The NBA players generally, whenever you see them, actually athletes in general, look good when they are out in public. They are a bunch of young millionaires and they dress like it, for the most part.

But the real dunderhead move was to ban headphones. What could possibly have brought that on?

I have wished Sheed would not wear them so much because it kind of makes it look like he wants to ignore the fans. but I really do not think that is on his mind. I believe that mainly he is trying to get his mind centered on what he wants at the time, like getting his thoughts on the game.

The dress code is bad enough :frusty: , but the ban on phones just sucks.

10. max

max All-Star

What does this matter?

Since its here its rumored that AI caused this by showing up for an interview on ESPN wearing army fatigues.

Just another case of Sterns shot-gun approach to managing the NBA.

But what does this really matter? So they have to spend an extra 5-10 mins dressing and undressing before/after games.

11. detteam

detteam All-Star

Is Stern trying to control player advertising/endorsement contracts? What does Stern really care about what his young millionaire's wear?

Stern's need to dominate is what pisses me off. I bet he tried to slide the dress code thing into the CBA negotiations and was rejected. None of the players like it...most of the fans either don't like it or don't really care...why does Stern feel the need to impose his will? Seems to me he feels demeaned by the players union for one reason or another, and he's striking back.

BTW...replay of last nights game right now on FSN, in case you missed it

12. max

max All-Star

Sterm

detteam. anything making Stern look bad I am all for but there are larger issues out there. Like in last nights game why do the Dirks always get the cheap calls against guys like Darko?

But yes, every so often Stern seems to feel the need to create some dumb rule or restriction just to let the players know he is in charge.

Complete egomaniac. Like in his "Stern Rules" responce to the brawl.

13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Calls

Dirk's established a star presence in the NBA. The officials/Stern don't know Darko...yet

14. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

some of these rules are just ridiculous.

no headphones or medallions? Brotha can't wear a crucifix now? Not proffesional to wear headphones to work? whateva Stern. whateva.

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

in the video interview with chauncey last night you could tell he was really upset at the dress code. then he was asked what sheed and rip would do now that they can't wear throwbacks, and he said "oh you might still see them" with a wink/smile ... i'm thinking sheed and rip will just ignore the dress code. :)

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, how far can they take the threat anyway?

Suspend players for violating the dress code?

I was back and forth on it. Now I am against it. Fining players for their fashion sense is juvenile and unproductive IMO.

17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

18. detteam

detteam All-Star

I wonder how Stern will deal with Roscoe's belt next spring.

19. Darth Tater

The real question is: What will Roscoe do with the belt? Wrap it around Sterns neck or shove it up...

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is great...

Full Article