NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

You're right. The National media really favors the Heat to win. I guess I'm surprised that so many people here believe the Mavs will win. The Heat are playing really well right now. What happened during the regular season is pretty much ancient history.

I hope you guys are right and the Mavs prevail.
  2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I am going to watch this series selfishly with the Pistons in mind. How will Dallas guard Shaq and what will that tell us about what to do with him in the future? Same with Wade. What will Dallas speed do to Miami? Answers will tell us what we were missing or at least give us a direction. I won't underestimate Miami. Even at our peak, I had given them at least a shot at us. I hope Dallas wins out of solidarity to my Laker friends who don't want to see Shaq laughing at them with a trophy.
  3. max

max All-Star

Something is telling me the Heat will lose some of their magic from the Piston series and the shots will stop falling for them. Shaq's bound to slow down and have trouble keeping up. Dallas is the kind of team that will force the tempo and make their shots which will give Miami trouble setting up their defense. In other words I do not see this settling down into a half court game which will benefit Dallas. Miami got a little too comfortable with Detroits poor shooting.

Botton line - Norwitzki has to make his shots. Miami has no answer for him.

Dallas in 5. At least I hope its short so the Networks can appreciate a good old fashioned Piston 7 game series.
  4. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Dallas will look at what succes teams have had guarding Shaq. The best way they guard Shaq was to run him and Mourning off of the floor. I don't see the Mav's running out of gas like the Pistons did. Avery seems like one smart and determined cookie. I expect the MAv's to win. Yes I did call the MAv's to come out of the wwest, this year and last year. I see that one sports sites that the majority takes Miami.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Stack choking as usual. I can sleep now. All is right with the world....

Seriously, if Dirk had any help, they would be up 20 on Miami.
  7. max

max All-Star

So this is the new NBA? Dallas wins 90-80. Someone forgot to give Riley and Johnson the memo.

Have you ever seen a Finals game close out with so many bad passes, dumb turns and missed shots? Wades shots were not even close. But he does have the sinus infection, lets see what ailment he comes up with for Sunday.

Not to vent but why was that more enjoyable than our series last season? Only difference is they did not have all the sports experts telling people not to watch because it was going to be boring. if ours was a series for the "purist" - i.e. not for the average fan then what is this so far?

Nothing against Miami or Dallas as they cannot control what the analysts say. There has been a lot of mud slinging for the way the Pistons approached the past 2 Finals ( even from our own DetNews's McCosky ) and I am watching this and trying to figure out why its supposed to be so much better.
  8. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

MAVS WIN!!!

Shaq will give excuses that they did not go to him more. Wade and Walker took too many shots.

All I can say, keep it up MAVS!!!

SEND ZO & PAYTON INTO RETIREMENT WITHOUT A RING!!!
  9. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hey roscoe, no chat during the NBA Finals?
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Zo and Payton no points....Heat bench...2 points...Walker and Wade 11 TO's ..Shaq 1-9 FT shooting

Heat had a nice 1st qtr and kept it close... but won't win this series though without bench and poor Ft shooting. Dirk and Howard had a bad shooting night but JT was hot enough to get them back in it in the second and then helped extend the lead in the 4th. State of texas 5-0 in their last 5 NBA Finals...Go MAVS
  11. max

max All-Star

I concur. For any other better reason than to root for Stack.
  12. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I even went to check the chat line because there was some banter on the DetNews forum.
  13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dallas did what I expected the Pistons to do: run them and use speed and atleticism. What a difference fresh legs make! Notice that Dallas shot nothing but jumpers in the 4th quarter and STILL pulled away from a tired Heat. One other difference, Dallas would pull up and shoot the short jumper and not dribble all the way in like Rip and Chauncey to get nothing.

They weren't afraid to foul Shaq. They got hands on a lot of those interior passes. They substituted early and often. Miami's early thrust was met. It was Miami expending energy to stay in the game in the 3rd. It is only one game but Miami is in trouble.

We can see what the Pistons need from this series--we can see what was wrong.
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

:thumb:

Nice win. Maybe you guys were right and Dallas can beat them.
  15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Great chance for Miami to steal a win in Dallas last night, with Dirk and Howard bricking everything, but Terry was white hot, and the Heat couldn't capitalize when the Mavs started choking badly in the middle of the 4th and went several minutes without scoring. If Dallas can settle in to their offense from the beginning of Game 2, they should be in solid control of this series.
  16. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Michigan fans know the game, and realize that Miami wasn't that impressive against Detroit.

Dallas, and their long bench hitting Miami in waves, is going to sweep this series. Hope Flip is watching Avery and taking notes about adjustments and player substitutions.
  17. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

I will be floored if the Mavs sweep. I really don't think they are -- or could ever be -- that dominant.
  18. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

No sweep. Miami will win games, because all it takes is two or three Heat players having decent games to help out Wade and Shaq.
  19. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Chat is open.

Chat is open you guys. Didn't you see Roscoe's note at top of page?
    Cmon, doesn't anyone want to chat? We don't have to do a play by play of the horrid Heat and the Mavs. We can talk about our beloved Pistons as usual!
  20. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Been mega-busy the last few days, but I'm down for some finals chat come Game 3. Good to see that the Mavs are crushing tonight, I didn't get a chance to watch until well into the 4th quarter.