NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

My friend at work gave me a "sympathy" phone call every time Miami hammered Detroit in the playoffs. I made sure I returned the favor tonight since he is pulling for Miami. One good turn deserves another. :heh:

Great job Dallas!

2. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Miami has been exposed. Dallas is too quick for them as the west style of ball is winning out in the NBA. The Pistons are the only team that can compete with the West. Miami may win some games but hard to see them win this series. But here we go again: What happened to the Pistons? Joe needs to be watching this series.

It helps that Dallas has some thoughtful coaching. They are rotating in their centers early. They are running. They have some speed to go with Wade and are quick enough to harass him around the rim. They are doubling Shaq. They are fouling Shaq. They are tipping balls away from him. They are too quick for Walker and have him out of sinc. They are trying to stay with Williams and have kept him at bay.

On offense, Dallas has several players that can cause problems off of the dribble. They pass the ball, force a bit of dribble penetration to set up a jump shot for the most part. Dirk works his way into his spots himself at times for jumpers and he drives now and again. Dallas has been poor on the breaks but just doing them, keeps Miami out of the cozy rhythm they had against the Pistons.

Dallas is not letting Shaq dominate the boards. They have several guys hitting the boards. They are aware of the lob plays and have mainly stopped them to Shaq.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Definitely if we had a bench with speed and could score like the Mavs tonight's game would have been at the palace. Avery played 10 guys with the bench players playing major minutes and scoring to the tune of 41 points in game 2.

Our starters are still the best, but our team is not because there is a huge droppoff after the six man, accoriding to Flip that is so they only got minor minutes. If Joe is going to keep Fkp, then he needs find players that are not only productive, but ones that Flip will play,:nod:
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Avery

Flip

nuff said. :frusty:

5. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

To me, the Mavs are the Pistons of a couple of years ago. We'll be back.
  6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I can't blame Flip when I see how much quicker Jason Terry initiates the offense than Chauncey. Imagine a point guard who actually RUNS upcourt instead of waddling like Fred Sanford.
  7. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Mr. Big Shot...Big Dummy!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  8. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

just watched game 5 of the nba finals from 2004 when we won it all. every time we got a rebound we ran down the floor as fast as we could, which ran the lakers (and shaq) ragged, causing them to miss a ton of open shots. it's not like we fired up quick shots either. plus ben was a complete monster on the boards and half the time he got down the court so fast after a rebound he went faster than the screen could pan. plus he showed he could play offense.

...sigh. if we played as hard and hungry in the miami series we woulda had the same result. it's amazing what watching that game does though, i was giddy and hyper after for a couple hours like we had just won again lol
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Mavs are just too deep, playing too well to lose from what I have seen. This should be over in 5 maybe 6.

A popular misconception is that LB didn't want to run. That's not true. He specifically came in with the run mentality which was the opposite of Carlisle. The difference was, you run and then you execute the offense. You don't just run willy-nilly and forget to play defense or surrender long rebounds.

It seems Avery understands what should be common knowledge. Push with discipline. When you get a team pushing and finishing "the right way", you'll win more times than not.
  10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Always thought that Avery is a better coach than Flip. No way Mavs will lose the series, just no way. Heat will be lucky to win a game, which I predict they will. 4-1 MAVS, NBA CHAMPIONS 2006!!!
  11. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

This is kinda off-topic, and it's not meant to be judgmental or anything, but I saw this posted on a blog and I wonder if anyone saw what the guy's describing:

Just struck me as kind of funny. Seems like there's always one unintended image that attaches itself to the Finals, like that big-boobed woman sitting behind Phil Jackson during Game 1 in 2004. I couldn't help laughing whenever the cameraman did a closeup on Phil and this huge cleavage jiggling in the background. And they showed it *a lot.*
  12. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It might have been a good thing that we lost in the semis. Given the way Dallas is giving it to Miami and how poorly we had been playing of late. We might have saved ourselves a very humiliating finals. Kind of like what we did to LA a few years ago.
  13. himat

himat Bench Warmer

If the Pistons won they would of all flipped back to the same page and they wouldn't be embarrased I think. Is this supposed to be the exciting series everyone was talking about? Hasn't been fun at all.
  14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't know man, the Mavs handed it to us pretty good early in the season. Our first loss of the year if I remember correctly. And that was when we WERE playing well.

Any time the Heat are down 0-2, its an exciting series for me. I can't stand those guys!
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

oh don't pull out that game. We were dead that game and we couldn't do anything. I think the series would be very close like the second game was between the 2 teams if the Pistons had things running smoothly. Things were pretty rough though.
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

could anyone explain to me why the Mavs (a team that is not known for its good D) is able to handle the Wade/Shap combo? Why our Pistons where not able to either handle them, not to execute against them on the offensive end? Looks like the Mavs are way better then the Pistons what gives me another reason not to be optimistic about our closer future.
  17. roscoe36

I wonder if the two kissing guys are Phil Jackson and Tex Winters...
  18. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Well, I wont go into Pistons/Spurs rematch:deadhorse I'm still crying. I hate Dallas, but will support Mavs in these Finals because I hate Heat more. Besides Avery isnt really from Dallas, he lives in Woodlands Houston and is Spurs own.

I loved watching sportscasters today talking about Shaq pouting, made only 5 points, couldnt get any touches, didnt play at all in the 4th Q, and wouldnt talk to his teammates after game. He wouldnt talk to media either, so he got fined $10,000 and Franchise got fined $25,000. Media commented that as painful as it was for Rasheed Wallace to talk to media after loss, he did it with class. I love it that the Heat is going to implode. I look for a sweep from Mavs, they are too good.

I just saw Terrance Owens the latest Cowboy mistake wearing a Heat Jersey in Dallas...anything to get attention:P
  19. max

max All-Star

The TV ratings are only slightly up from last years games 1 and 2. This is from a severe drop from 04 to 05 so our Lakers/Piston series is the most popular out of the 3. Nets/Spurs in 03 continues as the most un-popular series in modern times.

If this series continues at this rate with scores under 100 and the Heat struggling to score over 90 ending in 4 or 5 games then I would love it. Pistons took a lot of pot-shots after losing to Miami for being too boring, not conforming to what the NBA wants and responsible for the deteriorating fan base.

- thats exactly what I have been wondering.
  20. roscoe36

First of all, AJ is throwing different looks constantly at Shaq. We threw one consistent look.

What can't be overlooked is the rebounding.

The Pistons rebounded sub par all year, and that caught up with them in the playoffs. The Mavs are very, very good on the boards.

They were 5th during the season in REB per game.

They are 1st in the playoffs.