NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Get me at least 1 7 footer on this team. We had two in Dale and Sheed, but Sheed can't play that great of D on Shaq plus he was really injured. Than Dale was never used. The Mavs have 2 7 footers (Damp and Diop) rolling, doubling, and fronting Shaq the whole 48 minutes. Next year get a big 7 footer to gaurd Shaq and have Ben come in and sometimes front and try stealing entry passes. Force the others to shoot. Ben is just too small sometimes and even though he can try harder than Shaq it won't work out.
  2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Perimeter speed on defense. You can't double-team Shaq if guys like Payton and Williams are getting layups and uncontested shots off kickouts.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Yes, yes, some of you knowledgeable Pistons fans please answer TWOTIMESRALPHI question. I was thinking the same thing watching them last night. How are they able to contain the Wade/Shaq scoring machine where we couldn't?

This is my guess. Avery's adjustment and substitutions, being able to go 10 deep on the bench, and a those two real big guys, Diop and Dampier.

But please I hope someone else will answer this. Watching the Mavs play the Heat so well is a little demoralizing remembering how we played the Heat. :mad:
  4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh while I was formulating my post a few of you came along and gave some answers. Thanks!!:)
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dallas defense has been better than ours. They are younger and rested for one. They have the two bigs that can bother Shaq. They give Shaq different looks. They have speed and make the entry pass harder to Shaq and they tipped away some passes. They bother the lob to Shaq. They have sound coaching.

On Wade, they have some speed to stay with him. When he gets in the lane they are quick and have quick hops to bother him.

They are too quick for Walker as Walker winds up forcing up a lot of shots. They are better staying with Williams.

Dallas has been really leaping in a tandem for rebounds--not just the center.

The Pistons can play this style with a fresher team, coaching and not in the over-confident yet tight role that they were in. We absolutely can compete with Dallas. We do need a perimeter guy, a deeper team and at least a strategy for Shaq. Dallas is doing what I expected the Pistons to do. Miami will probably come out and get a game. But they are in big trouble.
  6. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Bingo!!

The Mav`s can get away with doubling Shaq because of their quick defensive rotations, and disguising where the double is coming from.

Every time Shaq touched the ball he knew he was going to be doubled but he didn`t know where the double was coming from. Was it a guard, a forward? From the weak side?

Thus, when he tried to pass out of it, he was unsure and tentative resulting in several turnovers.

When he did successfully pass out of the double, the Heat players looked dazed and confused as they clanged shot after shot.

I was reading an interesting piece in the Miami Herald that said the Heat was built to get by the Pistons and perhaps play the methodical Spurs in the Finals. Meeting a deep, quick Mav`s team caught them totally off guard and unprepared.

Time to panic, continued the article. I love it!!!!!!!!!
  7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chat is open (Game 3).

Chat will be open every night of the Finals.
  8. max

max All-Star

Game 3 Miami wins by 2. 100 points is yet to be broken.

I just figured out why the NBA is losing ratings - the announcers are sub-par. Hubie Brown is usually better but that Mike Breen guy is such a Heat fan. Perhaps its me. Maybe there is something about the Heat that you have to love that I am just missing. Root for Wade against another boring team from the West.

I was hoping for a sweep. Dallas needs game 4 so this does not become a series.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dallas let this one slip away. They were in complete control, up by 13 half way through the 4th, but then went ice cold and let Wade get red hot.

Shaq was a non-factor in crunch time yet again. You don't have to watch the Heat long (even on mute, so you don't have to hear the "Be my daddy Wade" announcers) to see who's team this is. They don't even look to Shaq in the 4th anymore. Its all Wade, all the time.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Mike Breen and the rest of the ABC/ESPN (Saunders/Legler) crew are Shaq/Wade lovers so of course they are loving the fact that they can see these two for possibly 2-3 more games instead of one.

The Mavs in some respect are just like the Pistons, go into scoring droughts, make silly jumpers and never can sweep anyone, (except Memphis) But they do know how to adjust and come back based on their performances this year vs the Spurs and Suns, so I am hoping that all this talk about the Heat being back in it is put to rest if the Mavs go up 3-1 after Thursday. I mean if Dirk makes his one FT or Shaq misses his two like he had been doing this could be 3-0 and all the 41 points by Wade and the accolades attributed to he and Shaq would be for naught. If Wade entered the 4th qtr with 5 fouls, I would have been taking the ball at him to draw # 6 before he had a chance for his 4th qtr heroics. He may have had 4 entering the 4th, but I know he had 5 with a little more than 5 mins left.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Remember that Shaq said in an interview after the Pistons series that he got a phone call from a close friend the night before the game, and his friend told him that he could do it and encouraged him.

They asked him who that friend was... and he said Hubie Brown.
  12. max

max All-Star

I never thought I would ever say this - bring back Bill Walton.Actually with so much at stake how can TNT and even ESPN field better announcers?

LADre - I do not know too much about Dallas but it does seem like they can really fall off at certain times of the game.

Drama Queen Wade went into the 4th limping.
    So far....
    1)Food poising, 2) Sinus infection, 3) Minor collision injury.
  13. #1Burn02

#1Burn02 Second Round Draft Pick

Hearing Pippen after the game on sportscenter saying how much Wade reminds him of Jordan is disgusting.:puke:
  14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh My God, I'm sure Pippen went on and on and on about how much LeBron reminds him of Jordan all season. I said it before, Scottie Pippen is building a career out of being Jordan's teammate, going around saying how much better these guys are than Jordan.

He better watch out. Charles Oakley is going to come and get him talking like that all the time. Scottie Pippen must be jealous of MJ or something.
    Wait until he starts saying that Dirk reminds him of Jordan.:laugh:
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Both aren't even close to Jordan. If Michael was in this league now at his prime:faint2::scared:. MJ played when even the best didn't get too many calls. Nowadays if you look at a star player you'll be hit with a foul.
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Weird game...the Mavs were crap in the first half, destroyed the Heat for much of the second half, and then choked like dogs in the last few minutes. Miami started off great, but then they could barely even get the ball across midcourt for much of the second half. And then it comes down to Shaq making FTs while Dirk misses one!

I don't think Miami's going win too many games with 20 turnovers, but their big advantage on the boards largely neutralized that. Still, if Dallas gets their act together a little bit for the next game, I think they'll probably win it.
  17. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

No excuse for Dallas losing this one. They let Wade go 10 minutes with five fouls on him. It never should have come down to Dirk having to make two free throws. The Mavs should have won going away. Now they have given the Heat hope.
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Don't be fooled. The Heat played their eyeballs out and barely won. They looked spent. They can play a big quarter but can't keep up with the Mavs for a whole game.

Shaq spent what he had against the Pistons and Walker has been re-exposed. Mavs need to get back to harassing Wade.

I would be surprised to see the Heat come back Thursday with the same effort.

The league wants the Heat but hey, everyone can see they don't have what it takes. Unless a miracle happens, this may be the end of the Shaq era.
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Mavs are still setup to win. They just need to steal one in Miami to have two chances to closeout on their homecourt.

If anything, they took Miami's best punch in the first half, and roared back. They were one play from winning the game. I wish I could say the Pistons played the Heat that close.
  20. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Mavs don't need to steal one. If the game 4 & 5 is played fairly (without Stern's call), Mavs will win the next 2 games at Miami. Knowing Avery Johnson, he will never keep quiet about Mavs' plays the last 5 minutes. He would condemn his players thru the media after the collapse in the 4th quarter. He would have made better adjustments in the 4th. But we all know better, Stern has made the decision to finish the series after 6 games. So, Mavs to win the series 4-2.