NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Is there anything about Stack's prior history or personality that would support the idea that he was intentionally trying to hurt Shaq? While Stack is up in the air trying to foul Shaq to make sure he doesn't score, he doesn't have the luxury to be selective about where he hits him, and he knows that (in light of Shaq's enormous mass) he has to hit him harder than he would an ordinary player. I think you need the clearest evidence of intent to injure before you suspend a key player in a finals series. I don't see it here. And I am not even sure that Stern would say that there was a clear intent to injure. I think Stern is applying a less stringent standard.
  2. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Here is a link to an interview with Stack regarding the foul and the suspension: http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/basketball/14844283.htm

I think Stack makes a persuasive case in his defense. On the other hand, he does allude to some "prior history" that I had forgotten about -- namely, his foul on Joe Johnson in last year's Dallas-Phoenix playoff series. Johnson was attempting a breakaway dunk when Stack fouled him hard. When Johnson hit the floor, he broke the orbital bone in his face, and was out for a week or more before miraculously returning to play in the playoffs. Stack was called for a flagrant foul in that instance, but to the best of my recollection there was no suspension. This prior incident may well have influenced Stern in this case, but it does not change my mind that this suspension is unjustified.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I'm rereading this whole thread to try to find some solace for my wishful thinking that the Mavs aren't in as much trouble as I worry they are. Trying to make sense of it always give me an illusion of control.

Basically I'm hoping the last 1.5 Mavs games aren't the beginning and perhaps middle of a Mavs meltdown for the series. Too soon to call a confidence-killing, spirit-destroying meltdown but...

I'm concerned. I didn't care that much earlier in the playoffs who won if we didn't. But once again, the media hype has made me really nauseated at the idea of Shaq and Wade winning a ring together.:frusty:

CMON MAVS! GO MAVS!

MAY THE BASKET LOOK LIKE A SWIMMING POOL FOR THE MAVS!
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I am concerned too. The Mavs had this series and now Miami is looking good. I will wait to see. It looks like these games at the elite level can change dramatically with a lucky shot, a poor call, etc. Then it snowballs.

Dallas has to turn up the speed. Hopefully the extra day of rest will help. I think Stackhouse is as much a liability as an asset so I am not bothered by his absense.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Chat is open for Game 5 folks! COME ON DOWN!
  6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't even think the officiating had been that bad for most of the game, in spite of the big FT discrepancy in Miami's favor, but that last foul on the Mavs was THE WORST call in playoff history. BAR NONE.
  7. roscoe36

Nice phantom foul call on Dirk, Wade kicks his legs against the defender, and wins it at the line in OT.

FTs were 49-25 for the Heat.

NBA referees are so bloody incompetent, it makes me want to puke.

Dirk is kicking and shoving equipment in the hallway as he walks to the dressing room. ANGST Dirk!

Forget Howard's screw up, Wade should have never been shooting the foul shots. Typical crap, a BOGUS call that decides the game in OT.
  8. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Where was the foul on that last drive by Wade??? WHERE???

I am not saying this game was fixed but my God, WHERE WAS THE FOUL?? That was great defense by Devin Harris on a couple fo plays.

This is crazy, they let Wade get away with anything he wants, he gets calls it took Jordan 5 years to get!!!!

Dallas will win the next two at home............Let`s kick some a&& Mav`s.
  9. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Didn't watch, but it does seem a mite outrageous that Wade matched the Mavs' FTA by himself -- the freethrow disparity was massive. And a phantom call in the waning seconds to decide the game on top of that?

*sigh*
  10. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I think I'm going to take a break from the NBA. Maybe in another decade they'll have shifted back to 'encouraging' good basketball again and it won't seem such a disgusting charade.

A complete, Webberesque chokejob from Howard (and Dampier ... and Nowitzki ... and Terry) - but good %%%%ing lord.
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We need to boycott the rest of the finals. There was no foul on Wade at the end and refs do not make calls with 1.9 seconds left. I just wasted 3 hours for nothing.
  12. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

[​IMG]
    Palm - palm - walk - no contact - to the line.
  13. roscoe36

Don't even get me started on Wade palming or double dribbling.

I think I will take a break too. No more Finals for me. As a fan, this is insulting to watch.
  14. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Roscoe and Ahb, right. This was an insult to all basketball fans. No more finals for me. It was an outrage. The refs do not make calls with 1.9 seconds to go and then there was no foul any way. That was too much. The NBA is ruining this wonderful game.
  16. 1989

ahb, thanks (I think) for posting that video.

In the dying seconds of a NBA Finals game, I simply cannot understand how a foul was called on that play. (Well, I can understand -- but it doesn't make me feel any better about it....)

As recently as six weeks ago, I didn't really have anything against Wade and the Heat. Now I get all queasy just thinking about how much of a darling he's become. :P He actually makes me appreciate MJ more (at least the '84-'93 MJ who had to battle the Celts and our Boys back when things were suitably rough), and y'all know how I feel about him.
  17. roscoe36

Watch it again. The best part is, the foul was called on Dirk, not Harris.
  18. 1989

Either way it's ridiculous. Even leaving the particulars of the situation aside (1.9s, game 5 Finals), contact was almost non-existent. There was no reach-in; he wasn't hacked; he got the shot off cleanly.

A sickening call no matter how you look at it, but that's the NBA.
  19. max

max All-Star

Should call that game "The Foul" Wade ran out of gas in OT and was looking for fouls almost everytime he attempted a shot. The NBA is not supposed to let big games be decided at the line. There was no foul on that last play. Even if the ref thought there was it was so obvious that Wade was looking for a call instead of trying to get a shot off. Game should not have ended like that. Only going to add fuel to the conspiracy theorists.
  20. 1989

I've seen an alternate angle now, and it does look like Harris got him on the elbow. So I guess it isn't completely preposterous.

I also read that Wade set a new record for FTs made in a Finals game -- a record that Bob Pettit has held since 1958! I'm not sure what to say about that except :puke: