NBA Finals: Dallas Mavericks vs. Miami Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LanierFan, Jun 4, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The NBA got roasted on all of the national radio shows yesterday (except Dan Patrick's, but then he's a master hugger).

Credibility in sports is a major issue.

Interesting points I heard, was less outrage about the foul (which is stupid for reasons further in this post) and more about the backcourt violation and the fact the referees wouldn't discuss the botched timeout seeing as how it was a deadball situation.

I'm really tired of superstar calls. I don't care if "that is the way it is". Once you treat one player different, then it becomes ok to treat one team different. One coach different. One teammate different. Eroding any consistency.

It's why Danny Fortson fouls out in 16 minutes, and Dwyane Wade shoots 25 free throws. A totally uneven playing field when the differentiator is meant to be talent and effort.

2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

4. 1989

1989 First Round Draft Pick

Another 250K. Coupled with the 200K he was fined earlier these playoffs that's almost half a million in recent weeks!

Stern treats Cuban as his personal cash-cow.

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

And Integrity/Credibility!

6. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

:hail:

7. roscoe36

Jordan would have made the damn shot and enhanced his godhood. Not flop like a chicken.

8. roscoe36

Finals Chat is open. I am boycotting this game, and possibly the rest of the Finals (got a movie to watch for both game nights). But it's there if you want to watch the sick drama. Btw, if Danny Crawford is refereeing, kiss this game good bye for Dallas...

9. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

TheeTFD
    I'm glad Stack busted Shaq's azz! Stack was straight-up NOT HAVIN Shaq's bullyin tactics at money time. I appreciate that. He did what Dampier should have done.

I think the league is afraid of what an angry Shaq might do to another player in a fight. I'll tell ya what! If Shaq and Stack got into it, I'd put my money on Stack all day long. Stack ain't no joke and Shaq ain't no superman. It ain't the size of a dog in a fight.....

10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Great column by Bill Simmons.

I found myself wondering how Games 3 and 5 in Dallas were even that close. By a rough estimate if you take 5-10 pts for Wade(superstar cookin') and 5-10 points for Shaq (superstar cookin') and 5-10 pts for home cookin', well none of us should be so surprised that they lost all three. Dallas would have had to win in reality by 15-30 points to beat the Miami team with all that help they got.

I'm not saying Dallas didn't play poorly in places. I'm saying that the bar was much higher for their performance than it was for Miami before they ever even got on the court there.

It's very painful to feel that this game I have learned to love may be stolen from me because of the ugly money hungry power grabbing control freaks in the NBA. Anything to increase their profits. Shame on them for making a sham of the NBA Finals. Shame on the television and corporate media for being mouthpieces for that same ugliness. It's sickening.

GO MAVS. PLEASE WIN THIS GAME. IT'S IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO.

11. max

max All-Star

That was a very enlightening article. I am glad that game 5 is getting talked about. The NBA always seems to get away with these things by relying on the ignorance of their audience. It takes sports writers and talk show hosts to point these things out.

People should be upset. Its like the NBA wanted a new series to fit their "New NBA" so bad that they are losing their composure trying to make it happen.

I liked the part where the ESPN guy pointed out the dangers in a superstar system. If your team does not have one then whats the point of watching?

Wade is a great player and its unfortunate that the league is almost forcing us not to like him. He can be one of the greatest players but who can like him now? Who can respect him? Its going to be very interesting this summer if Wade tries some of these uncontrolled flops in the International Tourney.

Unofortunately I also think the author is right in that the league will clean it up for games 6,7 and the better team Dallas will win the title. Then all this will get swept under the rug - until next year.

12. max

max All-Star

By the way - unless you are participating in determining the TV ratings ( survery, equip hookup ) it really does not matter if you watch or not.

As far as I know the Finals ratings are going to be determined as they always have been and the only way they can be which is by taking a random sample of viewers. Unless there is some new technology that can track what all TV sets are tuned to.

13. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, that is one of the best sports articles I've ever read. Its like the guy was inside my head. Its so nice to see an article like that written on such a widely viewed and respected site as espn.

My favourite part of the entire article was:

..."I've been fascinated by Gary Payton's mini-renaissance -- not that he's good again, but how he figured out that he is NOT good and adjusted accordingly."

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And Cuban also matches each fine dollar for dollar and donates the money to charity. So when you factor that in, we're talking about almost a MILLION dollars for the playoffs alone!

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Dallas is in the midst of a pretty huge collapse, from the last minutes of the 2nd quarter up to well into the 3rd now. They're very much on their way to losing this game, and handing the title to Miami.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Could be the best thing for the Pistons...
    let's hope the Heat spend the summer partying... and come back fat n sassy next year.

17. roscoe36

It matters to me.

18. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Do you honestly think that the Heat are better than the Pistons, whether "fat n sassy" or not?

Of course, they weren't better than the Mavs, either, but that doesn't matter.

19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons didn't prove they were the better team when they had the chance. Dallas, although hurt by the referees a lot this series, couldn't overcome losing three in a row. Very disappointing performance on their home floor. I'm just glad Michael Doleac got a ring. That guy really deserves it. :laugh:

Those of you who said Riley improved this team with the trades, go ahead and take a bow, but I think the rule changes and Wade's penchant for attacking the basket were the biggest factors. I wish the Pistons had a guy like Wade. Oh, that's right, they could have drafted him and instead drafted Darko.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The target will be on their back as well as the pressure. We can all say that this is the weakest champion of the past 5 years, since they pretty much played only 2 good games and were given the other two victories.

Like Bill Simmons said, the future of the NBA has taken a step back with the Heat winning...

If one player can control the game with a multitude of fouls called for him, because he initiates the contact then we are back to the MJ days (Magic and Jordon) when the superstars get all the calls no matter what the other team does.

They will be the favorite next year of course with the Suns +Amarie, Pistons, Spurs, MAvs and Cavs will be fighting it out to the end.

Coach of the year Avery could not stop his players from those jumpshots. Even though Wade was spectacular and we have to hear about him all summer and the beginning of the next season, I think it was Zo's presence and the blocks that intimidated the Mavs into to relying on the jumpers. J terry the hero of game 1 was horrible in game 6 (7-25 shooting and 2-11 from beyond the 3 pt arc).