NBA Finals: Just What the Dr. (Stern) Ordered

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Well, it looks as if David (Behind the Scenes) Stern got the matchup he sought. Three superstars in the finals! Shaq, Wade and Nowitzki. You've got up-and-comers in Howard and Diaw. You've got old vets vying for their first rings in Walker, Zo and Payton. Not to mention that I believe this is the first trip to the Finals for both teams. The subplots are immense. ABC will be pleased. Everybody wins here, right? No more boring basketball predicated on defense that will have the fans clicking off the NBA Finals in favor of reality TV or "That '70s Show" reruns. That's not to say Dallas hasn't improved its D under the Little General and that Miami can't play a little D, too. But from Stern's point of view, this works out pretty good. If only that pest Mark Cuban wasn't a factor. Yeah, Suns vs. Heat would've been better for the league. That matchup would've been a real scorcher. What say you, Pistons fans? How do you feel about this matchup? Will you watch?
  2. Reve

Reve First Round Draft Pick

I am watching and rooting for the Heat.
    Watching the Heat play against other teams I never got the sense the NBA wanted them in the Finals but I knew they wanted White Dirk in the finals. Nothing brings the ratings up like getting a white guy in the Finals.

The Mavs got every benefit from the refs when it mattered. So did Dirk and for that reason alone I want them to lose.
  3. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I won't watch a second of the Finals but hope the Mavs will win. There are too many unsympathetic figures on the Heat roster. Zo, Payton, Walker to name a few. They trump Mark Cuban for me.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Steve Nash isn't white?

Anyhow, while the NBA very well may have got what they wanted, I don't think Stern could blatantly say "No fouls on the white guy". I could see him telling refs to call "everything" or something like that. But I don't think that helps the Mavs against the Suns.

I think Dirk and his team is just playing really well. Not all teams fold after a great regular season.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm not watching. Mavs in 6. Damnit the Mavs or the Heat will be defending champs next year.:mad::smash::faint::puke:
  6. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Basketball season is over for me.. I am NOT watching the Finals. Hope Dallas win though.:P
  7. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I may sneak a peak, maybe. It`s funny that you mention Stern, you are correct that he got somewhat the Finals he wanted. He really wanted a Lebron and Kobe Finals, or God frobid, Shaq vs Kobe Finals.

John Thompson had Stern on his radio show last week and they were talking about the rule changes Stern put in place recently. Of course he mentioned the league needed to eliminate the physical play and increase the offensive flow of the game.

Stern was very pleased with this years playoffs, the play of Lebron, Wade, and any other offensive prowess was given praise and admoration.

The days of the good hard nosed in your face, "no free chili" defense may be over. I have never seen a team that lost a conference final (Phoenix Suns) get praised more for losing by almost everyone, in my life. Don`t get me wrong I like Phoenix, and their style of play is entertaining, however, is it fair for that style to be favored and stuffed down our throats by the NBA brass and media alike?

Until this high powered offense, and slacking defense wins a championship, let`s not label it GREAT yet, just fun to watch, at best.

As was stated in this forum and by others the league is changing, and nobody is happier than Mr Stern!!
  8. Reve

Nash might be the MVP but the NBA wants to make a star out of Dirk.
    Nash will always be a great passer but they want Dirk to be the face of the NBA.
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't buy this conspiracy stuff. If Dirk was supposed to be the face of the NBA, why didn't he win the MVP?

I think people sell him short. He lead the league in efficiency. He's able to dribble, pass and shoot from long range. He's a legit superstar, playing superstar ball in the playoffs.

Is it such a surprise they are in the Finals?
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm very surprised. I thought the Spurs and Pistons would be close to locks to have a rematch this season.
  11. roscoe36

Did you watch Dallas play San Antonio? Did you watch Dallas play Phoenix?

Dirk has made big play after big play.

I'm tired of fans being so homeristic that the only way another team can win is if the league helps them. Dallas is playing GREAT basketball right now.

Now if the Suns had Amare and a healthy Raja Bell, it would have been a different story.
  12. Reve

I don't agree. He didn't win the MVP because Stern doesn't control the NBA reporters votes but he controls the NBA refs.
  13. roscoe36

Then why do you even watch NBA basketball if you think it is fixed?
  14. Reve

I have an opinion and I shoukld be allowed to express it. You are just bitter that the Heat beat us so you want to find a reason to root for Dallas. Its typical of the young fans to act this way.
  15. roscoe36

You are allowed to express your opinion. And since you wrote it for public discussion, please discuss it. Why do you follow a sport that you believe to be fixed?

I'm a 20+ year fan. If you think that is young....
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

:laugh:. You think Roscoe's a youngster?:wacko::pound::loco::rofl::laugh:
  17. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Ignorant.

Nobody told you not to express your opinion. It would be nice however, if you supported it with logic. Where you got this opinion is beyond me.

As for young...Micro ain't no spring chicken. (Not that I have any room to talk).
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I love my Pistons and really didn't know how good they would be even out of the shoot at 8-0, but when I saw the mavs handle them in game 9 by 37 points, I knew then that the only stopping the Mavs from getting to the finals was a major injury and I waited in anticipation thinking that the rematch in March was a preview of the finals. Yeah the knock on them was that they didn't have the defense of the Pistons or Spurs, and they had an unproven coach, but as the season wore on they still did not faulter and darn nearly caught the Spurs for the best record in the west. Bottom line is they got there and we didn't. They had consistent bench and overcame their injuries and we didn't.

Stern wanted Shaq/Wade and either the Suns or Mavs. No fixes in place for him, just hopes and prayers. The Pistons and Spurs the regular season conference winners led the excitement by making believers in all of us that they would provide the June highlights, but fortunately for Mr. Stern's association, the ratings will be up as the two neophytes to the finals arenea will be on display. Go Mavs...hopefully we will see you or the Suns next year.
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

You think the Spurs are done?:eyebrows:
  20. Reve

I feel that the NBA does control what the refs do to some extent. If Stern doesn't like a ref he can fire them. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that he says to them, We would prefer to have A certain team that has the ratings on TV in the finals over a different certain team that doesn't.
    What I have to laugh at is you all believe the NBA wanted Shaq in the finals but you can't understand what I am coming from by thinking that way about Dirk.

The fact remains this thread proves a lot of you are bitter about the loss to the Heat.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.