1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

NBA Finals - Magic vs. Lakers

Discussion in '2009 Playoffs' started by roscoe36, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

I'd have to disagree. I'd say the players gave this series away. SVG drew up a last second play and the guy missed a layup for the win. Even Kobe was greatly impressed saying SVG outsmarted him. Then Howard bricked two free throws where if he just made one, they would have won.

Orlando could easily have been up 3-1 going into tonight. .......

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree it was the players not the coach. I would have taken SVG over MC in our own situation, as we had more experience players that Van Gumpy would have worked with. Not to say we would have missed those same FT's too.

The Lakers showed their superior play in games 1 and 5 and games 2 and 4 were lost because the Magic could not make the key plays in regulation crunch time and fell flat in OT. I would say the only mistakes that SVG made was playing Nelson instead of letting him have the whole summer to rehab. The not fouling the 3 ball may not have come in to play if Lee or Alston had been out there defending the Fish that saved[strike] Pittsburg[/strike] Los Angeles

After a 7 year lapse, Kobe and Fish finally get their 4th ring to tie some dude name Shaq which I still don't know why it is a big deal and Phil finally surpasses Auerbach after 2 previous failed attempts so it looks like we had a couple of egos that needed stroking here. :sssh:

3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I see Kobe got Finals MVP. He deserves it. The Lakers wouldn't have won without him.

See, I think this series was lost in game 2 when Lee missed that layup. It just turned into such an uphill climb after LA went up 2-0. The Lakers couldn't have won without D-Fish and Ariza, either, though. One superstar and an All-Star sidekick can really only do so much. You're always going to need role players. They need to keep Ariza. And how ironic is it? Last year, Stuckey, the guy the Pistons got with the pick the Magic should've owned, helped the Pistons beat them; this year, a player they traded helped another team beat them. That has to sting pretty bad.

I know most people here wanted the Magic to win, but I was always rooting for the Lakers. Phil is an excellent coach, and Kobe is a cocky bastard but he's a great player.

4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

His handling of Jameer and consequently Alston IMO was one of the main reasons the Magic lost this series in 5. His rotations were also queestionable (the benching of Lee in OT, etc). I believe the Lakers would have won in 7 regardless, but SVG tried to outsmart himself. He over-coached. I don't believe he's a bad one at all. He just needs to get out of his own way sometimes.

5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The day the champ was crowned has been a bitter day for me recently. This year that is not the case. Congratulations LA Lakers, you are a deserving champ.

It will be interesting to see what Orlando does next. If they can re-sign Turk then signing Sheed for the MLE would give them a totally different dimension while allowing them to keep their advantage over CLE. Having someone who can take Gasol 1 on 1 would have made a big difference in this series.

6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

These are my thoughts as well.
    Rasheed going to either ORL, CLE, or LAL would be huge.

If the Lakers let Odom walk and instead pick up Rasheed for a 2 year MLE they definitely have something to say about anybody who wants to dethrone them.

Allowing Howard to play off the ball more would be huge for Orlando as well.

The latest talk seems to have the Cavs trading Ben and Pavlovic for Shaq, then signing Rasheed to a 2 year MLE deal.

Personally I'd like to see Rasheed pick Orlando or LA before Cleveland and that turncoat Fred McLeod.:yellowprison:

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Perhaps they keep everybody and still find a way get Rasheed.
    Or perhaps they work a S/T with us. We sign Rasheed, they sign Odom, we then swap guys.
    This way they keep their MLE to resign Ariza, who I don't think they have full Bird rights to.

I might be wrong though.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=238

Eric Pincus is sure that they do.

8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Wow, those are some moves. It would be rough if he went to CLE.

9. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I don't know how the Cavs would address their size deficiencies in the backcourt after they do that though.

They'd be set everywhere else nevertheless.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

They really only have the size problems against Orlando though and strengthening the front court would help that as well. In the ECF they couldn't stop Howard and gave away size in the back court.

I hadn't thought LA for Sheed until you brought it up. They could let Odom walk, re-sign Ariza and use the MLE to sign Sheed.

Sheed and Odom could then do a sign and trade for their weed connects.

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree with that. But also that LA is just the better team and 4-1 is a pretty good gauge of that superiority. The Magic played over their heads in the conference finals and came back down to earth against LA.

12. hlbimage

hlbimage First Round Draft Pick

Didn't the Finals reminds anyone of how the Spurs rolled over the Cavs two years ago? Sure the Spurs swept them but still. I think with everyone being healthy next year look for the Spurs and Denver to make it through the post season on the West. On the East there are so many teams that can take care of things. The Lakers were just lucky and I don't think they can do it three times in a row to the Finals. Celtics, Cavs, and Wizard are my picks. Detroit is still in that rebuilding mode unless Joe D make a brilliant move regarding the roster otherwise the team can look for another early fishing season.

13. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I agree Denver might have a shot, but I wouldn't count on the Spurs. I know people have said this about them a lot these past few years, but they've gotten so old; one of the oldest teams out there. Tim Duncan will still be good, and so will Parker. A healthy Manu will be huge for them, but they basically have no one outside of their Big 3. The Lakers will be there if they can keep their core together. Their core is still pretty young. Really, I think a lot hinges on them being able to keep Phil at the helm (very good possibility).

In the East, the Cavs will be back. Same goes for the Celtics, and the Magic as well. The Pistons will be in extensive rebuild mode, and that will take another season or two at the least, so. If Washington can stay healthy, they should make the playoffs - but they ain't winning no 'ship, imo.

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Now that all that drama is settled and out of the way, we can all finally focus 100% on his LeBronness.
    :nerd2:

15. Walter

Not at all. Spurs swept the Cavs quite comfortably. I got bored watching those games. Orlando at least put up a fight.

16. Walter

[SARCASM]Since Elton Brand will be healthy next season, the road to the Finals in the East goes through Philadelphia.[/SARCASM]

17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I reconciled with myself a long time ago that basketball players are often times not good people, so strictly by his on the court performance, it is very hard to take anything away from Kobe. He is pretty awesome.

The nice thing about this, is that Shaq's legend continues to fade. He is one of the few elite players in the game, whose game I genuinely do not like.

I lol'd

I think Sheed wants to get paid. Joe will have to S&T him to make that happen.

18. Latinoking90

Latinoking90 Bench Warmer

How did Orlando get to the NBA Finals again?

Geez did they blow this opportunity. When they actually won a game in the series, they had to break an NBA record.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Shaq was a very frustrating player to watch if you were not rooting for his team, but he was a force. Watching Howard both dominate and flounder this post-season gave me a greater appreciation of Shaq's game.

At his best he was far more dominant than the LeBron's and Wade's we now watch.

20. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

One of the problems with Shaq is that they essentially had to write a different rule book for him. Shaq's touch fouls as he was going to the basket were hard fouls, just by virtue of his massive size and strength. But for better or worse, the NBA decided not to call those fouls. There were some games in which it seemed he was fouling on shot after shot, with no calls.