NBA Playoffs....Are you fired up?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Apr 25, 2012.

?

Are you fired up for the NBA playoffs?

Poll closed May 5, 2012.
  1. YES, I WILL WATCH EVERY POSSIBLE GAME! I AM SO EXCITED, I WILL ANSWER IN ALL CAPS!!

17.6%
  2. I love the NBA playoffs. I will catch a few games here and there. I'll definitely watch the Finals.

29.4%
  3. I'm fired up to watch my 2nd favorite NBA team and root them on to a championship

23.5%
  4. I'll watch some action if I'm bored and the remote happens to stop at the right time and channel

23.5%
  5. The season ends for me on Thursday, April 26 when the Pistons season ends

5.9%
  1. max

max All-Star

LBJ is a lot stronger than Jordan was when he was losing to the Pistons. Lebron may have just went right through guys like Rodman.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Jordan was pretty strong. Young perimeter defender Rodman v LBJ would be quite a match up.
  3. max

max All-Star

LBJ is 6'8" 250 Jordan in 2003 was 6'6" 216 but I know he did not weigh that much in 1990.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

I thought MJ played heavier than that (225 ish) in the mid-90's after he started lifting, but I am probably wrong. He was still extremely strong which is a point that the Kobe nation misses when the compare the 2.

I would feel a lot better having MJ on my team trying to absorb the Knicks, Pistons et al beatings than James.

James is certainly strong, but he doesn't really use his size to overwhelm people in that way. He uses it to complete and 1's on reaching defenders.

Rodman had the size, quickness/agility combination to offset that on the perimeter.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Don't forget Rodman was also defending Centers.. bigger and stronger then then LBJ ever thought about being... and Rodman had a way of getting into your head.. as mentally weak as he's been on the biggest stage, I have no doubt that Rodman would slow him way down if not shut him down. All this is assuming the rules of that day, now you get a foul called on ya for looking at a star.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was the older Rodman though who was doing that, the beast who tossed Shaq into the scorers table. I think the younger, pre-tattoo Rodman could cover James today.
    round likes this.
  7. max

max All-Star

Its kind of funny how everyone assumes the stars of today would wimp out back then. Jordan had more tenacity though.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Seems like all of the Pistons, not just Tay, stepped aside in 2007 when Lebron was waltzing to the hoop in games 3-6 of the ECF. He didn't seem as fit is as he is now back then, but then again I wasn't analyzing his BMI then.
  9. round

I watch Todays stars... moan if they get looked at... Wade? omg he is such a crybaby.... Even some of my beloved pistons I get so annoyed with during there title run crying and moaning about every single call.... In today's game you hit them a few times today and there done going to the hole, nobody has guts....

How do you think LBJ would have delt with the Bad boy pistons if they defended him that day he went for 25ish straight points.... he would never had gone to the hole... he would have settled for jump shots and we know what sort of jump shooter he is.

I am not sure what the reasons are.... but if I had to gues its the fact that the league started changing the way stars were treated with Jordon. I don't remember the stars of the 80's getting the kind of calls that they did with Jordon forward. I think another part is that the lack of 4 years of college ball toughing players up where there is really no "star" treatment at all might have something to do with it.

Today's players are without a shot better physical specimens then they were 20 years ago... can jump higher, lift more, and probably run longer.... but they lack so much in skill... and the lack of the use of that grey matter between there ears makes me have to say an 80's all star team would beat the 2010's in a best of 7 series 4-2 at worst case...
  10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That game 7 between Philly and Celts was fun to watch. I'm very impressed with Brendon Bass on both ends of the floor. There was a pick-and-roll where Bass ended up on Holiday on the perimeter. Holiday tried to drive to the whole, but Bass was so quick on his feet that Jrue couldn't get around him. I was very impressed.

That young Sixers team was fun to watch. They might have even pulled off an upset but they forced too many fancy circus shots. This was a very good defensive game.

Boston seems to live and die with KG's presence on the court, but it was Rondo that said "screw it, I'm winning this game and there ain't nothing nobody can do about it" in the end.

So, the best two teams in each conference made it to the conference finals. No surprises so far. On the East the two teams I hate the most are playing the ECF. A Celtics win will make me just a little less violently ill, so go Boston I guess.
  11. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I don't see what the "James would wimp out because of the more physical defense" is based on (I do see where it's coming from though). I can see why people call him a choker jada jada because of the 2011 finals and the final Cavs game against the Celtics, but from what I've seen he's pretty tough when it comes to taking hits and keep playing his game (compared to the other guys today).

Not that I approve, but there's also a difference between trying to gain an advantage by whining to the ref and being "wimpy". I bet Jordan, Isiah, Bird etc would have been the biggest whiners in NBA history if they felt it would increase their chances of winning. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin are two of the biggest whiners in the league right now and those guys are close to as tough as they come.
  12. max

max All-Star

They did tighten up the calls to lighten up the physical play but thats understandable as it's not supposed to be a full contact sport. Getting to the point where they had to start issuing head gear and pads.

They actually were a lot more blatant with the star treatment back then. Look at that bad call on Laimbeer in game 6 of the 1988 Finals for example. Bird, Magic and others got all the calls. They have cleaned that up a bit which is probably why the Wade's of today complain so much. Back then there was not so much early hyping of players. Jordan had not "arrived yet" when he was losing to the Pistons. Believe me Bird got a lot of those calls that Jordan did not get in the early days.

Overall I am not too unhappy with how reffing has evolved over the years. Seems like there has been an honest attempt to clean it up and be more far across the board. Plus someone was going to get seriously injured with how physical it was getting. Its not fair to the players to expect them to take that kind of punishment without gearing them up.
  13. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Get off the crack pipe man. That first sentance ruins whatever semblance of an argument you think you have. Players today, for the most part, are faster, more explosive. They know how to break down more types of defense, know more plays. Bigs have the ability to play back to basket, but can also stroke from range and face up.

It's not about physicality, or remniscing about how players used to get hacked. Its about playing the game. Bad Boys starters foul out in the first quarter in this year. But by the same token, could you imagine the damage that players like Ibaka, Chandler, D Howard could do if they played in those circumstances? Laimbeer would look like a little boy, no two ways about it.
  14. round

I give up.....
  15. max

max All-Star

I don't buy the argument that players are stronger and faster than they were 20 years ago. Maybe 50 years but not 20 0r even 30. Lamb was 6'11" 260 and Howard is 6'11" 265 so I would say they would have been evenly matched. Howard would have the speed advantage but if Sheed could get to him then I am sure Lamb would have.

Good game so far. I keep forgetting that San has home court given how OKC seems to be the favorite.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is very insulting. Surely there was a way to make your point without being inflammatory. Verbal abuse is not tolerated here.
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I thought that this was a bit harsh too.
    In Panda's defense though, I think he thought that he was addressing me.
    ...It's pretty common knowledge that I'm "on the pipe".

...and on a totally unrelated note, here's a tweet from yesterday compliments of MWP:
    [​IMG]
    linwood and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Its just a saying?
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of course it's a saying. And it comes across in a very insulting tone. In many places online, flippant rudeness is considered the norm, acceptable or even funny. In this forum really the only thing you're asked to do, other than obey laws, is be respectful. One thing that I can't accept is for people who have contributed years to building a good atmosphere on the forum to be driven away by hostile posts.

Sometimes the written word doesn't convey the tone intended as well as the spoken word. In those cases, it's incumbent on us to be more careful when we write something that could come across as insulting. Are there a lot worse things out there than what you posted? Well sure. But please be mindful of how slang or banter reads with no additional spoken context.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  20. linwood

linwood All-Star

Back to the playoffs!

The Spurs just look absolutely unstoppable right now. Durant scores 31, Westbrook 27 with 8 assists, and Harden pours in 30, and they were never really in the game. It's gotta be disheartening to play so well and be down 2-0. I'm sure that both Brooks and Spoelstra are losing sleep over Pop right now.

He must look something like this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nemo likes this.