1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Nba prospect watch - Caris Levert

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Mar 17, 2014.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Just wanted to make this Giannis-like call now. I don't think he's going to declare. But if I was an nba executive. And Caris levert was available in the 2014 nba draft. I'd take him as high as #4 overall.

He's young for his class (a 19 yr old soph). He arrived on campus at 6-4. Is now listed at 6-6. Is probably closer to 6-7. And might even still be growing. He's never going to look like magic Johnson. But he did put on 20 lbs this offseason. And he is going to continue to get bigger and stronger.

He's an outstanding athlete. A great outside shooter. Very long. A shut-down defender. Handles and passes the ball well enough to be an nba pg. "Gets skinny" and gets in between defenders like no one I've ever seen in attacking the rim. Started off last season as a redshirt too! In all my life I've never seen a player display such an incredible rate of improvement, and to every aspect of his game. There's also a real jalen rose / Jamal Crawford-like smoothness to his game that I love. Intelligent. Relentless work ethic in the offseason. Great intangibles. Great kid.

I think he's the best pro prospect on Michigan's team and in the big ten at large. I think he's a better pro prospect than trey Burke was. I think he has the potential to be an nba all star point guard. And, depending on who returns next year, he's a strong big ten - perhaps national - player of the year candidate.

If we lose our pick this year, he'd be a great consolation prize in the 15 draft.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good article on mlive about him. Couldn't paste here on my phone though. Summary was that his dad was a good player and competitive, never let up on him on the court, but switched it off when they were done. Then dropped dead suddenly one day. Mom kept him in line.

Basically, it was the portrait of a good kid who's competitive instincts were cultivated by his dad and who respects his mother. Naturally quiet, which was one off Brandon knight's traits.

3. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Jordan had The Shot, Elway had The Drive, Blue had The Call.

blueadams and Walter like this.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like Levert, but would rather see him play one more year at the collegiate level.

Joe will never admit, but choosing either Tim Jr or Burke, would have been better choice than the Pope, but that is why the draft can cost scouts and GM's their jobs.

5. blueadams

Or Giannis. I think LeVert goes back to school too.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Why is everyone so high on Giannis? I follow his box scores and his numbers are abysmal.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You must not watch the games.

linwood and blueadams like this.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I hear he makes a killer spanakopita.

linwood and BillLaimbeer like this.
  9. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's tough to put up numbers when you're on a 2nd unit consisting of chuckers like Mayo and Butler. Larry Drew's rotations are a mess. 10 guys every night get 20-25 mins. I'd take Giannis over Pope at this juncture.

10. BillLaimbeer

Coach is clueless. Has agenda against winning. Plays guys that do not belong in the NBA and guys that are too short.

S.J. and Laimbrane like this.
  11. webz

Which is exactly what they want. The guy has perfected the Tankston offense. Or you could also call it the 'No Try-angle'.

12. roscoe36

From what I can tell, there is no difference between Giannis and Pope.

Looked at 36 mins stats, Pope is marginally worse than Giannis.

Giannis
    [​IMG]

Pope
    [​IMG]

13. webz

Both guys can affect the game on the defensive end which is their biggest strength right now. It will be whoever can get their offense going that will determine their rise. But Giannis is still growing and nearing 7ft tall amazingly. I guess people's ceilings for these guys are Durant and Afflalo. You can guess who would be who.

blueadams likes this.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think Pope's ceiling is somewhere between Doug Christie and Thabo Sefalosha.

kpaav, S.J. and roscoe36 like this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

I think Pope is still adjusting to NBA speed and size. I think he could be an Afflalo-type.

16. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I think Pope's next ceiling should be the Sistine Chapel.

pass99 and S.J. like this.
  17. roscoe36

WOW NEMO.

18. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

It's all based on athleticism, potential, and heavily based on his story. Everyone loves an underdog, and he's an underdog's underdog. Plus he's just so darn likeable. Great highlights, too.

His ceiling isn't Durant - he'll never be that pure a shooter, and doesn't seem to be a leader. But he'll probably be a pretty good one.

19. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I don't think Pope is another Afflalo. I think he is a much better defender.

20. blueadams

It sounds like you've probably read enough about him, Roscoe. Just watch the kid play. Remember that he's only 19 years old. Remember that he's only been playing organized basketball for about 4-5 years. Remember that he's still growing. And remember all that you've read about him. There's no doubt he has the best superstar potential of anyone in his draft.

In terms of ceiling.. He's probably never going to develop the refined offensive skill of a Durant, but he might have even more raw talent.. If he works hard, he could completely revolutionize the wing position defensively and be the leading or second leading scorer of a championship-level team.. BUUUT..

You never really know with poor, African/foreign-born players. I mean this in the least offensive and most objective way possible, but.. You just never know what's going to happen to kids that grow up near-starving-to-death once they start getting million-dollar pay-checks, 3 meals a day, clothes, shelter, their family is set, etc. Does a guy say, "Hey, OMG, this is great - a million dollars a year! - I love living rich in America, I'm so happy and so is my family... I love American women, cars, music, concerts, vacations, etc." The dude could hardly work at all and make another 20 million dollars. A very, very, very nice life. Does he really love the game?? Does he really love to compete?? Does he really want to be the best?? I can't emphasize this enough ~~ I wouldn't blame him for a second if he just cashed his checks and enjoyed life. But in terms of ceiling, it's the first question I ask. And, really, I think it's just kind of an impossible thing to predict.