NBA Prospect Watch: Nick Stauskas

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 1, 2014.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I was thinking today..

What's the difference between Nik Stauskas and Ray Allen?? The comparison people are going to make is J.J. Reddick, because both are white, but the more accurate comparison IS Ray Allen.

Nik Stauskas: 6-6, 205, 20, sophomore, 0.422 from 3.
    Ray Allen: 6-5, 198, 21, junior, 0.466 from 3, #5 pick.
    J.J. Reddick: 6-4, 190, 22, senior, 0.421 from 3, #11 pick.

*Looking at the stats above, it is important to remember that the NCAA moved the 3-pt line back a foot to begin the 2008-09 season.

Nik is an inch taller than Allen, two inches taller than Reddick. Nik is 7lbs heavier than Allen, 15lbs heavier than Reddick. Nik is one year younger than Allen, two years younger than Reddick.

Stauskas isn't a 'great' athlete by modern NBA 2-guard standards, but I don't think he's a below average athlete by those standards either. I mean, really, how many ankle-breaking freak athlete 2-guards are there in the NBA today??

Idk how tapped into the UofM Bball scene you posters are, but around Ann Arbor, Nik is already a local legend due to his off-season workout habits. In his one off-season here, he put on 15lbs of pure muscle and totally revolutionized his game. He went from a skinny spot-up shooter who couldn't dribble, couldn't pass, couldn't penetrate or guard anyone to save his life to the Big Ten player of the year. He went from 11 pts/g, 1.3 ast/g, 44.0% 3-pt --- to --- 17.5 pts/g, 3.3 ast/g, 44.2% 3pt.

The dude might not be the world's greatest athlete. But he's got great size, length and strength for the position, and at least average athleticism for the position. He's smart, he's tough, he's scrappy, he's a leader and he's going to give tremendous effort on the defensive end (which is about 90% of the battle in the NBA). He's gone up against, shut-down, and outscored a ton of NBA 1st rd pick wings: Oladipo from Indiana, McLemore from Kansas, Harris from MSU, Hood from Duke, Young from Kentucky, Hollis-Jefferson from Arizona, Dekker from Wisconsin, etc. As a 3rd or 4th option on an NBA team, he's going to shoot well over 45% from 3. He won the player of the year award as a sophomore in the best conference in America, certainly the best defensive conference, and did so shooting 44.2% from 3 as his team's #1 option. I think he's going to be a guy who busts his ass off every off-season and improves his all-around game for the next ten years. Great kid. Great intangibles. Comes from a good family. WILL win the NBA's 3-pt competition next season (I've seen him casually make as many as 24 3's in a row in warm-ups, touching the rim maybe 2 or 3 times.....like lay-ups). He's a great teammate. An amazing passer. Handles the ball well enough to run the point in stretches. Can surprise NBA teams with his ability to attack the rim and finish--or dish. Rebounds surprisingly well.

I love the kid. If he's there at 8. There aren't a lot of people I'd take over him.

The Panda likes this.
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think Doug McDermott gives you a whole lot more than Stauskas.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stauskas hit 54 consecutive 3-pointers in the rain (and a little breeze) and he can dunk in important basketball games. That is good enough for me. Tack on work ethic, big 10 player of the year, big game experience, and the fact that he's a wolverine...

Maybe we can trade down for him and get a replacement 1st round pick next year to make up for the one that we lost? He's projected #17 and let's say that we get the #7 pick (optimistically). That might not be good enough for another team to give up a future first rounder... but what if we tossed in Siva, Mitchell, and Jerebko?

4. BillLaimbeer

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Some good players on the board for sure. Would be a horrible draft to not be a part of for Det.

I don't know about Kyle Anderson. Seems like he'd get burned regularly on D if he were playing guard. And if he were playing SF, seems like he wouldn't handle the ball enough to matter. Would he be like a Boris Diaw type?

6. linwood

linwood All-Star

How's his Korean? Can he strip the gears off of a ten speed?

Sent from outerspace

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

"He's projected to go at #17 here.", and "This one has him going 25th.", are the same things they were saying about Giannis Anketaboutiou last year.

I'm on board. I hear Danny Ainge loves this kid.

blueadams, S.J. and coynejeremy like this.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think Doug McDermott might be the better fit tbh. He apparently has enough bball IQ to smarten up Jennings and Smith.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Anybody who can shoot would be useful.

10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Wow I really like his stroke. Off hand doesn't influence at all and he keeps his arm perfect. Nice high release. Wish he would actually jump when he shot, those little hops won't cut in against NBA players.

11. BillLaimbeer

Plus, that court in the video is only the high school 3-point line. Anyone can make 54 threes in a row during a rainstorm with a high school 3-point line.

linwood likes this.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He was practicing his Josh Smith two pointers.

blueadams and linwood like this.
  13. BillLaimbeer

He just needs to shoot with his eyes closed and the percentages would be on par.

S.J. likes this.
  14. blueadams

Mcbuckets is a bencher. Which is fine. Too small to be a o
    Pf. Too slow to be a sf. Bencher. Stauskas has outside all star potential as a starter. I wouldn't worry about projections. Just take your best on the board. Or you miss out on Gianni's.

15. BillLaimbeer

If Stauskas is so much better than McDermott, why does every mock draft/projection/big board/etc have McDermott getting picked about 10-15 spots before Stauskas? Perhaps the experts aren't actually watching the games.

linwood likes this.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

His nickname is slo mo. That's a red flag.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Actually, that's not his nickname. I just watched some clips. Both guys can bomb it, that's for sure. The question is, who is less of a liability everywhere else. Don't know the answer.

18. blueadams

Don't like that crap Linwood. Where was Giannis projected last year? Or Anthony Bennett? There are a lot of NBA GM's/scouts who suck at their jobs dude. A lot. And really suck at their jobs.

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If the experts were so right, there wouldn't be such a big need for us casual internet analysts.

Nemo, linwood and blueadams like this.
  20. blueadams

I think it's clearly Nik. 6-6 is great defensive size for a SG. The improvements he made physically (gained 15lbs of pure muscle) and athletically (hard to describe--but amazing) in his first off-season with a real S&C coach is very encouraging. I think he could put on another 10lbs without losing (perhaps gaining) speed. 6-6, 215lb SG. Come on man. It's not even close. And I feel he's athletic enough right now, already, to effectively guard almost any NBA 2-guard. He's been the man on the best team, in the best conference (definitely the best defensive conference). He's been through all the big time pressure situations, and come through. He's won all his big time individual matchups against big time players. He has a complete, rounded game. He's been coached and developed (on and off the court) by the best staff -- at that -- in the biz. Smart. Tough. Scrappy. Insatiable work-ethic. Leader. Great teammate. Great kid. The absolute worst-case scenario is he's one of the top-5 shooters in the game and coming off the bench for 10 years. Has an NBA skill that can't be taught and won't go away. Best case scenario is essentially a bigger, stronger, tougher, more competitive, more complete Ray Allen.

linwood likes this.