NBA Prospect Watch: Nick Stauskas

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Giannis comes of the bench behind the mighty Bette Middleton on a team worse than the 76ers. Looks like you blew it big time! Also, I'm not sure GMs can have 10 picks spread over 10 different threads each season.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Players with real nba size and speed, like singler, would totally shut nik down. Final four mvp vs big ten mvp? Please.
  3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stauskas could be the next Jimmer.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  4. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

u guys are wrong, again--bc u don't watch enough basketball.
    Mogilny likes this.
  5. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Fair enough. If Nick ends up a bust does it cancel out your giannis pick?
    blueadams likes this.
  6. blueadams

haha. DEAL!
    Mogilny and kpaav like this.
  7. Mogilny

How does your Shabazz pick affect this? Or the McLemore and McCollum picks?
  8. blueadams

I never gave Shabazz or McLemore full endorsements. I was merely interested them at a point. I was all Burke or Giannis at the time of the draft; McCollum if both were gone--and he's looked good since getting back.
  9. linwood

linwood All-Star

At rhis point, Giannis is more exciting than "good." I do agree with you about the experts though.

Sent from outerspace
    roscoe36 likes this.
  10. Mogilny

Before Laimbeer beats me to this:

You mean merely interested like:

11. blueadams

Giannis is also on the bench for a team that's tanking. Take a look at where he ranks among all NBA 2-guards in some defensive statistics--and in such limited minutes too. Dude's the closest thing to superstar potential in that class. And it's not even close.
  12. blueadams

Dude. That was early into the draft research process. I liked McCollum as a Burke backup scenario up until the draft (esp. bc Burke was expected to go in the top-3). And he's actually looked great since getting on the court for Portland (remember he was injured).

But Giannis didn't get on the scene until later in the process. Then I fell in love with him. Learned how big of a lying scumbag Shabazz was. And saw McLemore play Michigan.
  13. BillLaimbeer

I think if you start a new thread for 8 to 10 of the top draft picks each year, you have a good chance that a couple of them may end up being pretty good.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  14. blueadams

Well. Giannis was indeed "my guy" at the time of the draft and after last season. Burke second. McCollum as a backup to Burke. Never anticipated MCW being good.

And to qualify my Stauskas projection. I think he's a best case Dan Majerle to Ray Allen starter. A worst-case Kyle Korver-type shooter off the bench for a long time. By the looks of what's going to be available to us in the draft at #8, I think I'd take that.

Without thinking too much about the top-top guys..

The center I've never seen because he didn't play in the tournament (from Kansas). I'd watch some youtube's if it wouldn't be a waste of time at this point (if we get lucky in the lotto I'm all over it).

I'm sure that Parker is going to be good. Great? Who knows how hard he'll work. But I'd be surprised if he's bad.

Wiggins. I'd again have to watch some youtubes (if it was ever worth it). Didn't do much at all in the two or three games I saw. A threat to amount to nothing in and of itself. But I'd have to watch more to predict.

I think that Randle is going to be great, maybe the best of the class. He's like a DeMarcus Cousins or Zach Randolph with perimeter skills (not shooting, yet, but handles, attacking, a little passing). That's a freakish skill-set to possess. And he seems like a game'r to me.

Exum. I've seen tape of. Doesn't strike me as a star. I was wrong about MCW, though. He appears to be a little better going to the basket, in transition, finishing and passing. Not a good outside shooter, though. Looks weak and soft. Could be another MCW I guess though. I'll have to watch more as the draft approaches.

Smart. I like his game. Worst-case, Rodney Stuckey who cares--which isn't a bad thing at all! If he ever develops a shot he could be a star (still waiting for Rodney to).

Vonleh. Saw him in person once, on tv once. Kind of like Chris Bosh was in college, but thicker. Never really does things that are great.. but attempts things that would be great.. which makes you think that he might be capable of them. I'd have to watch more. Always tough to predict these types, though. If he works his ass off he could be great. If he doesn't he could be out of the league in 5.

Gordon. A very poor man's Blake Griffin. Seen him in person once, on tv once too. I'd be surprised if he's a stud. Could be a solid rotational big though. Or an average starter. Another works or doesn't work guy-prediction.

The Saric kid. Need to watch more of him. What I have seen hasn't impressed me, much. But I do need to watch him. He could be in play for us.

McBuckets. I'm actually higher on him than the draft experts. Might not be big/strong/athletic enough to guard great 4's, or to rebound with them, or to score inside against them. Might not be athletic enough to guard great 3's. But most 4's and 3's in the NBA aren't that great. They're Josh Smith's or Kyle Singler's. I like him a hell of a lot more than I liked the other great white hopes--Morrison, Reddick, Jimmer, etc. Smart and plays the game tough too, coaches son. Idolizes Larry Bird. Attempts to copy his game. I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up being at least a useful rotational guy.

Haven't seen this Nurkic Euro Giant. 6-11 280 though. Gonna have to.

Cauley-Stein didn't play in the Michigan game (Kentucky). So I haven't seen him.

This Capela dude I haven't seen either. But a Euro-trained African (like Giannis), so I'm gonna have to check him out too.

Ennis from Cuse I like a lot, actually--and is of interest to us. Saw him play one game with a die-hard 'Cuse girl I was out with. He played really well. Carried them in the clutch. Attacks the rim very, very well for a player his size. Definitely need to watch more of him.

Harris from MSU I've seen plenty. Better on-ball defender than you'd think. Not as great an outside shooter as you'd think. Doesn't do much with the ball in terms of attacking, or even passing. If Izzo wasn't such an a-hole he'd have taught him some PG skills. Could be a good player off the bench for someone, if his shooting holds/improves. Could be a bad defensive starting two-guard, if his shooting improves. Could be an okay up top pass or shoot (not drive) PG if he's taught the skills.

Stauskas we know.

Warren from NC St. I haven't seen. But I've got a smart bball fan friend who swears by him.

Anderson from UCLA I haven't seen more than parts of one game with, but he looked too skinny and bad defensively to me, at first glance.

Payne's got some potential as a Ryan Anderson type. Real potential, actually. But Izzo never developed him.

Hood from Duke I saw, but he didn't stand out in the game, would need to watch more.

Young from Kentucky strikes me as having overlooked star potential.. but I'd need to watch more.
    Mogilny and BillLaimbeer like this.
  15. BillLaimbeer

Good post. Don't get me wrong. I am a huge Stauskas fan. My point is Stauskas is projected to be picked around slot #25. The Pistons will pick around slot #7 or #8. In drafting terms, this is called a humongous reach.
    linwood likes this.
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I really like Doug McDermott.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What would be a fair trade for a #25 draft pick? Pope?
  18. BillLaimbeer

The Pistons need more scoring.

McDermott scored 3,150 points in college (2,090 more points than Nik Stauskas).
    linwood likes this.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Pistons don't need college scoring though, they need NBA scoring.
    The Panda likes this.
  20. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Slide down a trade for Nick Stauskas...
    If not, then take Gary Harris...