NBA Redistribution Draft

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by obey86, Feb 10, 2009.

1. obey86

obey86 First Round Draft Pick

I'm open to suggestions if someone has a better way to determine a winner...although this is supposed to just be more of a fun thing to pass the time than anything.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A 10 game +/- measurement would lure me in.

Add up the 10 game +/- of every player on your roster to determine the winning squad.

It would give you something to root for and it wouldn't be like fantasy bball. It would also reward defensive players, so you could think more like a real GM.

3. obey86

How about a combination? A vote for each user (6 votes each) plus each position goes head to head in +/- (5 votes) in a playoff style bracket. I don't want to use all +/- because it is a flawed stat (if a bench player comes in and plays mopup time against terrible players it can throw it off, and also a lot of +/- depends on who you are out on the floor with) Plus, allowing us to vote as well would allow chemistry to be a factor in the teams. For example, if AI and Melo have great +/- together we know it won't actually work because it has been proven. Or if a team has 3 players who need the ball in their hands to be effective (AI, Lebron, Baron Davis) we can show that that wouldn't neccessarily work by the way we vote.

4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know, I just dislike fan voting.

Can these rosters be assembled on NBA 2K9 and simulated?

What if we all pick our teams that then have the XBox determine the winners through best of 7 simulations?

5. obey86

Sure, if you have Xbox or something. I don't though.

6. obey86

Just play, we'll figure out that crap as we go.

7. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I travel a fair amount and don't always get onto the forum every day, but I'm interested if you don't fill it up. Drafting is always the most fun part of a fantasy league anyway.

With a little notice I can supply an Excel player roster and set of current stats.

Grading at the end does sound tough. +/- is one way. Sprocket points might be used too as a good aggregate of a lot of stats.

8. obey86

Sprocket points would be good but I think it would be too difficult to tally up. Once again though, the problem I have with just using an efficiency measurement is that it does not incorporate chemistry or the way players complement each other. Anyone can throw a bunch of all stars on a team but that doesn't make it a good team, look at the Suns. Personally I think a combination of +/- and user voting is the way to go as it would incorporate both aspects into it. Keep the suggestions coming though.

9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Man, you guys are really putting a lot of thought into this!

I just like doing fantasy drafts! haha

I did like TaS's suggestion of simming it out in a season. That would be cool (for everyone except the person that has to do all of the inputting!)

10. obey86

lol, thats how I feel too I just want to get it started I don't care about how we determine a "winner". If we could just get one more person we could get this going.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

bump ///

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Alright, I'm in. We can figure out the method later. Anything but arbitrary voting though. If it's going to be arbitrary, then let there at least be luck involved (xbox sim/ sprocket points/ other brilliant idea not yet conceived).

13. obey86

ok Tashawn I'll try my best to come up with an alternative method by the end of the draft but I can't guarantee anything. I can't do a video game sim because I don't have an NBA game and if we did that we would need 12 player rosters anyways (if someone else does and is willing to do this then it can work). Like I said the fun part of this is supposed to be the draft and jsut trying to find the right chemistry of players. The winning part would just be an added bonus. So let me know by later today if you are in or not Tashawn.

Either way, I'm gunna get this thing going by this evening. We'll just roll with an extra team each if we can't find a 6th person.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm in.

Not trying to be difficult. I just find the actual drafting of the players to be a lot of work and the fun part for me would be watching to see how they perform.

As a Detroit fan, winning the public opinion battle seems Lakers-esque.

15. obey86

Ok cool. Roscoe, I'm going to start a new thread for the draft portion of this. What forum should I put it in?

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

17. obey86

obey86, hitafreethrow, roscoe36, latinoking90, jammertime, tashawn

Draft thread to be moved to above forum.

18. obey86