NBA Rumor Central

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Jun 19, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This thread is designed to keep folks up to date in recent rumors about Trades and Free Agent signings.

If you run across a piece of info that you'd like to contribute just post the relevant information and the source (links are good too).

Here goes:

Mlive Sunday, June 04, 2006
    Wallace reiterated on Saturday that he wants to re-sign with the Pistons. However, he also indicated that he wants to be a more integral part of the offense, with a role similar to the one he had during the 2004 championship season when then-head coach Larry Brown made it a point to get Wallace the ball more.

The Pistons are probably going to use some or all of their mid-level salary cap exception to find a backup to Billups, who looked worn down physically and mentally in the playoffs. Billups played more minutes this season than ever in his career, and the heavy workload appeared to take a toll on him in the playoffs.

Detroit News Tuesday, June 06, 2006
    The Pistons are likely to make a run at free agent Bonzi Wells, a former Pistons draft pick, who played in Sacramento last season. Other free agents who would fit the need would be former Piston Mike James, recently of Toronto (although he might command too much money), Philadelphia's John Salmons and Memphis' Bobby Jackson.
    A player such as Portland's Juan Dixon also could interest the Pistons, although his contract runs through 2008 so they would have to broker a trade.

Washington Post:
    Wizards Notes: Several teams have shown interest in restricted free agent Jared Jeffries, but according to one league source who was in Orlando for the pre-draft camp, teams are not optimistic about landing Jeffries because they believe the Wizards plan to match any reasonable offer. Jeffries has averaged 6.1 points and 4.8 rebounds in four seasons with the Wizards and has carved out a role for himself as the team's best all-around defender. The free agency period opens July 1.

Journal Times - One rumor that was circulating at the pre-draft camp was that Danny Ferry and the Cavaliers may shop guard Larry Hughes this summer.

Hughes was signed to a monster deal last summer by Cleveland, but was injured for a large portion of the 2005-2006 campaign.

Gery Woeful was told by members of 10 different teams that had interest in acquiring Jamaal Magloire.

“There was quite a bit of dialogue,’’ Larry Harris said with a grin.

The prevailing opinion among those interviewed was that a deal involving Magloire would likely be finalized by the draft.

Charlotte Observer:
    Both the Toronto Raptors and Portland Trail Blazers , amongst other teams, have been talking with Charlotte Bobcats ' coach-general manager Bernie Bickerstaff about point guard Brevin Knight at the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp, the Charlotte Observer is reporting.

"There's a lot of interest in Brevin," Bickerstaff told the Observer on Thursday. "Most of the conversation includes him.''

Knight is considered expendable with the emergence of last season's lottery pick Raymond Felton.

"If I'm going to play just a little bit of minutes, I'd rather be on a playoff team," Knight said during the season. "So if (the situation) changes, we'd address that."

Bickerstaff did say that Knight will be able to have some input on any trade, but will not be given the power to veto a deal should one arise.

Boston Herald:
    Indiana may be talking with the Timberwolves about a Jamaal Tinsley-for-Ricky Davis deal.

DraftExpress.com:
    One rumor has them sending Lamar Odom to Chicago in return for the rights to the #2 and #16 picks.

This trade might have to be consummated after the draft, when Chicago has cap space to take on a bigger contract. Moving Odom’s $40 million contract would give the Lakers room to explore the talented free agent class of 2007. This may be where the obvious Brandon Roy to Chicago at #2 smokescreen started from

New York Post:
    The Nuggets are prepared to trade any player on their roster exempting Carmelo Anthony. Any team can have Kenyon Martin essentially for nothing, no joke, if you classify $71 million over the next five seasons nothing . . . Orlando is looking to obtain an established off guard in case it loses DeShawn Stevenson to free agency.

The Lakers are looking at Kwame Brown exclusively as a center, meaning Andrew Bynum can be had.

Deseret Morning News:
    According to a note in Sunday's Akron Beacon Journal citing unidentified "plugged-in league executives" as sources, the Memphis Grizzlies "are in trade talks" with the Jazz about Boozer.
    Earlier this month, the New York Post reported the Jazz were among "the biggest talkers" at the NBA's pre-draft camp in Orlando and that Boozer's name was among a half-dozen or so "on the loose lips of many down here."

Draft Express:
    Multiple sources say that the Phoenix Suns are looking to package their two first round picks to move up in the draft (@21 & #27) to the teens.

Seattle is looking to trade out of the draft. If Sheldon Williams is not available at #10 this is the action they will most likely take. The asking price is a solid 2007 1st rounder and cash/or cash and a pick in this years early 2nd round.

The Portland Trailblazers are looking to package their #30 & #31 pick to move up to one of New Jersey’s #22 or #23 picks.

The New York Knicks are reportedly looking to shop their #29 pick to a team looking to move up. One of those teams is the Miami Heat.

Orlando Sentinel:
    The Orlando Magic are confident they can re-sign starting shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson, who has become an unrestricted free agent after opting out of his contract.
    Stevenson, 25, wants the best deal, and there is speculation he is seeking all or a portion of the Magic's mid-level exception, which can start at about $5 million a season. That seems too high a price for the Magic.

"We're not worried," Smith said. "This is a great place for DeShawn, the right team. He knows it; his representative [agent Rob Pelinka] knows it.

"It's a matter of coming up with something now."

Philadelphia Inquirer:
    King said guard Willie Green did not pick up a $744,551 option on his contract for the 2006-07 season by Thursday's deadline and became a restricted free agent. Asked whether the Sixers would try to sign Green, King replied: 'We're going to do our best.'"

Philadelphia Daily News:
    "Jay Williams, the former Duke guard attempting a comeback from a serious motorcycle accident, was scheduled to work out for the 76ers this morning at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine... A source indicated that Williams was scheduled to work out tomorrow for the New Jersey Nets and Monday for the Boston Celtics."

Journal Times:
    "There are still whispers Bucks center Jamaal Magloire could end up being traded to the Toronto Raptors, and that super-sub guard Mo Williams could accompany him in a blockbuster deal."

Orlando Sentinel:
    "Smith said the Magic would like to pick in the 6-7-8 range -- spots currently held by the Timberwolves, Celtics and Rockets -- which would create a different set of available players... To exchange picks with someone in front of them, the Magic would have to part with either a player like Keyon Dooling or DeShawn Stevenson, or a future first-round pick, or possibly the rights to Fran Vazquez..."

Washington Examiner:
    "An Eastern Conference source said the Wizards he’s heard mentioned in trade talks are Brendan Haywood, Jarvis Hayes and Etan Thomas. But he has not once heard Antawn Jamison’s name come up."

Chicago Tribune:
    "Little-used center Kelvin Cato is a free agent and mentioned the Bulls as a team he believes he can help."
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yummy. I could spend all night commenting on some of these rumours. I've seen some, and others are new to me.

Magloire + Bosh with Mike James, possible playoff team.

Boozer is an injury from retirement and Gasol is not a true center. That makes no sense to me.

It would make sense for the Pistons to get a backup for Billups over help like Bonzi, but Joe needs to think BIG with a possible Cato (we have his Bird Rights and can pay him the most) Sign and Trade to Chicago for Duhon/Hinrich and pieces, or Knight and a S&T Melvin Ely. Now that is shoring up the bench darnit!

OPEN THE DARN CHECKBOOK!

Seattle screwed up with Evans, Radmanovic and Nate McMillan. Throw in their arena issues and now wanting to sell their pick, this team is going into the tank. Although I like Robert Swift and he would be worth raiding for.

merc: You should PM LanierFan and ask him to stick this. I don't want to mess with his turf. :)
  3. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I'm startin to warm up to the offseason. No offense Roscoe, but I kinda like the idea of Mo Pete and Mike James in our backup guard positions. Mo Pete in a S/T, and James with the MLE.

Then beg, borrow, or steal a legit big man with some mus-kle. Sleepers include NY's Jackie Butler, or Andrew Bynum if we can swing it.

Last but certainly not least, get Flip some mo assistant coaches like yesterday! Maybe promote Lambier or Mahorn; get some REAL bad-boyz to look over his shoulder. :eyebrows:
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yah i'd definitely rather S&T cato to chicago instead of ben :D
  5. roscoe36

Not rumour, but fact, the T-Wolves Rashad McCants has had microfracture surgery and will be out 4~6 months, but if we've learned anything about this from Amare Stoudemire, he's probably done for the year.

Which brings me to the rumour, that Mike James could possibly end up in Minnesota, because former Raptors GM Rob Babcock, who traded Rafer Alston for James is back with the organization and Kevin McHale is old pals with James' agent.

And speaking of McHale's pals, the Wolves and Celtics are sharing workouts. Danny Ainge attended a Wolves pre-draft workout, and McHale is scheduled to attend a workout in Boston...
  6. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

What's up Hatter! I think I'd rather have Delfino off the bench than Mo Pete. The former Spartan is a solid role player, but I just don't see him at the same level talent-wise as Delfino. The only possible improvements over Delfino, that I could see, would be Bonzi (this year) or Grant Hill (next). I could see reasonable people going either way on Wells vs. Delfino.
  7. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

On Wednesday, the Racine (Wisc.) Journal-Times reported Utah, Atlanta, Toronto and Golden State are "among the teams that have been linked" to trade-target Jamaal Magloire and that the veteran center seemingly gives the Bucks "the ammo to acquire either Troy Murphy from Golden State or Carlos Boozer from Utah."
  8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

ESPN:

The Hawks have interest in Allen Iverson, and the Sixers have interest in moving him. Sixers GM Billy King is a big fan of Williams and needs a young player to eventually replace the aging Chris Webber. Would the No. 5 pick and Al Harrington (via sign-and-trade) be enough for the Sixers to part with Iverson?

One rumored deal has the Warriors trading Dunleavy, Murphy and the No. 9 pick to the Lakers for Lamar Odom and Aaron McKie.
    Another has the Warriors sending Pietrus, Murphy and the No. 9 to the Bulls for Tyson Chandler and the No. 16.

The Jazz have been trying to package Boozer in a trade that gets them up into the top 10, with the goal of getting Brandon Roy or Randy Foye. But no one's biting.
    One possibility might to be to package a future first-round pick (their own or the Knicks' future pick owned by the Jazz) in a trade for Seattle's No. 10 pick. The word is that the Sonics are trying to keep costs under control right now so they can sign Chris Wilcox. Still, it's unclear whether Foye would be on the board at No. 10.

The Nuggets are interested in trading Kenyon Martin (to the Knicks or Timberwolves) and Andre Miller (to the Celtics) to clear cap space or move up in the draft.
    There also has been talk of Marcus Camby going to the Bulls in exchange for Tyson Chandler and the No. 16.

The Heat are trying to use Dorell Wright to move up in the draft to get their hands on a Pat Riley favorite -- Guillermo Diaz.

The Suns are willing to do a bigger deal if they can get into the top three. Leandro Barbosa can be had. The Suns love him but aren't sure they can afford to re-sign him next summer.

Knicks president (and new coach) Isiah Thomas had just about everyone on the trading block along with the No. 20 and No. 29 picks.
    However, unless Channing Frye is included in the deal (he won't be, according to a Knicks source), they probably won't be moving up significantly in the draft.

The Lakers have been shopping Andrew Bynum and Chris Mihm. Lamar Odom can be had, too, but the price is significantly higher.
    Their target in the draft? Brandon Roy.
  9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Clearly a match made in the heavenly emptyness of Isiah's head. Mark this one as done.
  10. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Rumor has it that the Grizzlies are looking to shop Shane Battier:eyebrows:.
  11. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Is it true that Shandon Anderson, and GP are thinking about retiring and the Heat are trying to get Michigan Gaurd Daniel Horton on the roster? I heard that on 1130 don't know it's true though.
  12. roscoe36

Rumour has it that the Spurs are going to make a serious run at Pryzbilla.

Also, KG is now working as a player consultant with the T-Wolves front office.

The Kings will make a run at re-signing Bonzi Wells, but view him as a "Power Two guard", and with Kevin Martin under contract, and Quincy Douby just drafted, may not want to make a long term investment in the former Jailblazer. Teams rumoured to be interested seriously in Wells are Detroit and Denver.
  13. roscoe36

14. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

15. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

I don't see Lindsey going anywhere but the Pistons or retirement, but Delk to Denver is interesting. I'm not sure what he'd give the Nuggets that Boykins wouldn't, though...

Miller's been on the trading block for a while, but I think the first order of business for Denver has to be finding a taker for KMart's contract.
  16. roscoe36

Updates

Wells has several suitors

Golden State has the inside track on Speedy Claxton.

Kenyon Martin is on the block.

Al Harrington is leaning towards Indiana.

One of Jamaal Tinsley/Anthony Johnson is probably on the block.

Devean George is looking around...

Hornet guard JR Smith is probably on the block.

Philly is pissed at Sam Dalembert. Problems with the coach late last season ...

DeShawn Stevenson's negotiations with the Magic are at an impasse.

Mike James is being actively courted by a couple Texas teams not in San Antonio.

Mavs and Nuggets looking at Reggie Evans.

No one seems to want Flip Murray...

Knicks tendered Jackie Butler a qualifying offer of approx. $1 million. He is now a restricted free agent.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Wasn't he with Houston already?

Man...I wish we had him back. He's Lindsey's younger brother.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The bad thing about these rumours updates are that "no one is leaning toward the Pistons" and the Pistons have no inside track on any of the top FA's. The good is that Ben Wallace's name was not mentioned, so we have to assume that he is still in the good graces of Joe's clutches.

Hopefully this is wrapped up in the next day or two, because we cannot afford to spend to much time on this deal and miss out of the avalible FA. (ala the Sheed summer of 04 saga)

The Lakers used a conference call approach with Phil, Kobe and Magic on the call to convince Vladimir Radmonivic to switch from the red locker rooms to the purple & gold ones at the Staples Center.

If the Pistons need to do the same it pursuade someone worthy to sign here once Ben's deal is done, then by all means lets do it.
  19. roscoe36

I've always wondered how the locker rooms work.

Is there a Laker room, a Clipper room and a visitor room?

Or do they swap colours?

Or do they treat the other team's as a visitor room when they are at home?
  20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I believe there are three main locker rooms to accomodate the Lakers, Clippers, and NHL Kings. I am not sure about the Sparks and LA Avengers as they may use one of the other teams locker rooms as long as their is no over lap in seasonal play. However they may need additinal needs so I am not really certain, but I will find out for sure and report back accurately.

Also of course there is a visitors room for all of their opponents they play, so they may have their locker room too.