NBA rumor- Prince for Calderon trade?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Not sure how much truth is into this but there's a rumor swirling around that the Pistons and Raptors are looking to trade their vets for each other. We get a solid PG in Jose Calderon and the Raptors get Tayshaun Prince.

What do u guys think, would it make the team any better?

NBA Trade Rumors – Tayshaun Prince to Toronto... | Gather
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's not a rumor, just some blogger speculating.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Has an NBA team ever sent its captain to Canada?

There have only been 5 triple doubles in the NBA this year:
    Kobe
    Durant
    Hibbert (10 pts, 11 reb, 11 blk!)
    Monroe
    Calderon

Could be an interesting trade whether or not the rumored rumor even exists.
  4. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Thanks for clearing that up. I read it wrong and got excited lol.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Gather is an article site. Anyone can write for it. I think almost anyone can write for Bleacher Report too. So you gotta be careful. It's like reading this forum, but instead of a trade idea posted by some random dude, it comes off as being real inside trade talk.

Prince might help the Raptors, but has Joe Dumars ever shown any sign he would trade Prince? I don't think so.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Man, I got excited there for a second. :crying:
  7. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Wouldn't be surprised if Raptors wanted Prince thought. They get 10 PPG out of rookies Terrence Ross, Quincy Acy and FA Landry Fields combined. Ross was selected right before Drummond in the draft, and they gave Fields about 7m/year in the Free Agency.

Fun note: Fields is shooting 20,8% from the floor. Stuckey shoots 21,2% from deep.
    linwood likes this.
  8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

If player fits to Dumars longterm plans( somebody with potential or cheap filler, easily tradeable, a la Kravtsov) or helps to fix shorterm issues ( ben gordon trade) - trade! .But PG position is not the biggest issue and Calderon is already 30-something.

Is Calderon's contract expiring?
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yes its expiring. Sign of the times: an article site referencing another article site as if it were insider info.

I would like to trade out Prince and Bynum for Calderon. Tay is a crutch - a knee brace that provides support while never allowing the muscles to work to stabilize itself. We need to take the risk. Suffer the setback. then move forward again
    LA Dre, KGREG and roscoe36 like this.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like Calderon, if he could play some D he'd be a GREAT PG, but he's gawd awful on defense. With all that said I wish it were true, it'd open up even more cap space for us and we'd finally begin to move this ship forward, full steam ahead. Right now we're a good-bad team that will always be picking in the 7-8-9 spot in the draft.....we were lucky to get Monroe and Drummond (you all know I feel about BK7) but we still need that one GREAT franchise player that you get in the draft. To be fair that player hasn't been available in the last few drafts, but he's there to be had in this one, Shabazz Muhammed (UCLA), Otto Porter (Georgetown) and possibly James McAdoo (UNC), can flat out ball!
    brofmfa likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, we really could use true talent with no project label. Joe needs it, but might not be around to see it if we do all the necessary losing to get there.
    brofmfa and roscoe36 like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

None of those guys are the next DRose/Durant/LBJ
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Muhammed may be a bonafide 20ppg wing in the NBA and Porter may be the kind of player who flirts with a triple double every night. Can't get a read on McAdoo, but the talent is there. Have you had the opportunity to see these guys play?
  14. The Panda

The Panda All-Star Forum Donor

Not on a consistent basis. But I have seen them play. Shabazz is smart and has a good head on his shoulders. But he isn't NBA ready to bang with 250 pounders, nor quick enough to out run good wing defenders. He is also playing in high school. He could be big or bust at this point.
  15. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

The Wizards offered me Nene and Shaun Livington for Daye, Villanueva and our 2014 first round pick earlier on 2K13. Let's do that trade instead.
  16. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I would be ecstatic to get Calderon for Prince. Dude perennially leads the league in A/TO ratio, and bringing down TOs is something this team sorely needs to do. He'd be an awesome backup for Knight, and with the abundance of SFs the Pistons have, it works really well.
  17. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

I wouldn't mind seeing Shabazz attacking the basket while Knight and Singler stretch the floor. That kid can flat out get to the rim. I think that he'll be among NBA leaders in FTA per game. I like McAdoo, but he feels like a tweener- can't shoot well enough to play 3, can't rebound well enough for the 4. He feels like a poor man's Antawn Jamison. I'm intrigued by Otto Porter. He can just play ball. He's a natural passer. He's shown a huge improvement in his perimeter shooting. He could be a bonafide stopper in the NBA.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm with you all the way J! Shabazz is a scorer, but Otto has this sweet all around game- defense, passing ability, decent outside shot, decent mid-range shot, shot blocker, good help defender.........but all of that sounds very Tayshaun Prince'ish! But I believe that Otto is more likely to be a 15-17ppg scorer as opposed to Tay being a career 12ppg scorer. If Monroe pans out to become an 18&9 player at the PF spot, and Drummond becomes a beast in the middle, then adding Porter on the wing is ideal. We could possibly have one of the best passing teams in the entire NBA
  19. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Prince had some great years here, and was a huge reason that we won in '04. Just because his time here has clearly past, doesn't mean he wasn't a great Piston.

18 & 9 feels about right for Monroe.

I actually see a bit of Rudy Gay in Porter. Probably not a superstar, but a nice 3rd best guy on a championship team. It's pretty early, but I would be happy with either Shabazz or Porter. I think that Shabazz could be special. He reminds me a lot of Jerry Stackhouse, when Stack was heading into NC.