1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

NBA Summer League Tracker

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Jun 21, 2007.

1. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good post. It will be interesting to see how this first year shakes out.

2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Durant was soft in college. I saw him play enough to know that he avoids contact like the plague. Some people like physical contact others don't. Durant doesn't like physical contact. No hogwash about it.

Thanks for commenting on my post. Have a nice day and enjoy the Pistons game today.

:hoops:

3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

is there any way we can watch these games? i see the pistons are playing at 6 tonight

4. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

NBA.com : Summer League 2007

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good job Cloud.

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I've got a few PMs about where to post NBA Summer League and where to post Pistons Summer League.

I'm moving this thread to the NBA Summer League to the NBA Stuff forum because we should have a lot of BBSC posts here for discussing the Pistons SL and games in the Pistons General Discussion forum.

I realize it's not an elegant solution, but it is somewhat of a solution without sorting through dozens of responses that span lots of topics.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

By avoiding contact Durant has/will develope better court vision and footwork. His game isn't power.
    If you bump into Oden you might find yourself displaced 2 to 3 ft. away from where you were. His game is power.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First side line report from your roving PF reporter

Me and the wife rolled into Vegas about 2:30PM yesterday with the temps hitting 110 degrees. Luckily for us the AC was working in COX Pavilion as we sat down at the at the beginning of the second quarter of the Mavs-Sonic games. The early crowd of curious onlookers were there to see Mr. Durant and based on my observations, he is long way from winning rookie of the month in November. Yeah he was the high scorer for the game, but 18 pts on 17 FGA reminds me of Kobe's early days.. As far as playing defense abd banging, it was almost non existent for the number 2 overall pick. It was almost as if the Sonic braintrust said to avoid contact to avoid injury as Durants boney legs and frame initially looked under nourished in the NBA world. On most defensive sequences he stood on the outside watching his fellow players bang for rebounds.

#5 pick Jeff Green played tentively but allowed the focus to be on Durrant. The Sonics also had Johan Petro, Julius Hodge and former Detroit Mercy player Jermaine "I can't sing" Jackson there to hone their skills. The Mavs Maurice Ager, was clearly the crowd pleaser during this game as the former Spartan star had a series of dazzling dunks scoring 17 points and was the only player to have an autograph table set up after the game for the fans to meet him and get signatures. The Mavs first pick in the draft, Nick Fazekas, (#34 overall) had a terrible game shooting wise (1-7) and his parents who were sitting directly behind us were groaning on every miss.:(

I will provide highlights of the next two games we saw on the next post.

9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good work Dre.
    Hopefully you, Low and myself can hookup at one of the games and start a Piston uprising. I got first dubs on a picture with CB if he shows up.

10. buddahfan

It was good work and thank you LA Dre very much. We all appreciate you taking the time to post your observations. Maybe you can a job as a freelance Piston writer for the DetNews on-line edition and replace McCosky. I see that as a big improvement.

TheeTFD:

But don't LA Dre's comments about Durant support mine and go against yours? Just wondering.

11. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Thanks for the report, Dre. Stay cool and keep 'em coming!

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Buddha, Durant may not have Piston DNA. So maybe the test/evaluation isn't comprehensive. We know he doesn't have power-benches 185 one time-but bball still isn't always about power.

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

My wife cannot bench 185.

I could probably put her on a program that had her benching 185 within the year.

Would she be able to play basketball better?

Not likely.

14. LA Dre

Second game summary.

Team China vs Memphis Grizzlies.

The Las Vegas tourism bureau knows how to satisfy their visitors from overseas>> by bringing in Team China to diversify the crowds at the these summer NBA League games. Great idea as the Asian population at the game was in full force as they were there to support their fellow countrymen and it seems everyone in the house was waiting for a surprise visit from Yao Ming himself. Some youngster even yelled there's Yao and a bunch of folks stood up looking. Alas no Yao sighting today other than a tall teen in a Yao Rocket jersey.

But Team China had an ace in the hole that must have furiated the Bucks organization. Yes there wearing # 11 in the Team China lineup was the Bucks #6 pick Yi Jianlian. He received a nice ovation from the mixed crowd as he was introduced in the starting lineup.

Team China scored the first 3 points on an and 1 situation but watched the Grizzlies quickly score the next 10 points as Rudy Gay proving that his rookie year was no fluke dazzled the crowd with dunks and Dr. J like swoops to the basket. Meanwhile Jianlian practiced some of his post moves and outside shots and finally got Team China back in the game. His first couple of shots were blocked as he tends to telegraph his moves but based on what I saw he could start in the Pistons middle right now!:good: The bio says he is only 19, but he has more skills than any recent 19 year old big man we use to have on our squad:sssh:

The Grizz #4 pick Mike Conley Jr. is very fast, but they had another little guy out there by the name of Klye Lowry a second year player from Villanova last year that was just as quick and seem to run the offense and score when needed. Not sure what he did last season, but the Grizzlies braintrust has a couple of future stars there if they decide to let Lowry develop with PT like they will let Conley do. Of course since this is the summer league it could have been the competition that made him look good.

The Grizz pulled away to a 22 point half time lead as Team China missed a ton of shots in that second qtr, but made a run in the 4th to close the gap back to 8 before losing 86-77. Gay finished with 21 pts, Lowry, 13 and Conley 12. For TC, Jianlian scored 23 despite sitting out most of the second and third qtrs. Team China's other center a 7 footer by the name of Wang Zhizhi was the game's high scorer pumping in 27 points, many of them in the 4th qtr rally.

The game was disrupted midway through 4th qtr when Greg Oden and the rest of players for the next game went to change. A crowd of kids quickly converge on him to get autographs and it took awhile to get everyone's attention back to the game.

15. LA Dre

Celtics vs. Trailblazers

This final game of the summer schedule brought in a lot of fans with their Celtic and Trailblazer garb as well as fans or alumni of The Ohio State University. The late crowd was more vocal than the earlier fans because their future seem to be on the line here. Prior to the game you saw the likes of Doc Rivers, Danny Ainge, Nate McMillan, and Mo Lucas hanging out and signing autographs for the younger fans.

Once again Oden got the largest ovation during the lineup announcements. His first act of enforcement was to block three jump point shot from the left wing for a goal tend.:laugh: :confused:. Those sitting around me questioned why he would attempt that and only surmized that he wanted to let us know that he could block and he has arrived. He quickly got three fouls in the first three minutes and sat down until the second qtr. On the other side of the ball, Glen "Big Baby" Davis, the C's #35 selection in the draft also picked up 3 quick fouls in the first 4 mins and had to sit awhile. He is a mound of energy and appeared quicker and less nervous than Oden (at least last night he appeared to be) and I only wished he could give at least 30 of his listed 289 pounds to our own Amir Johnson.:) He does have the energy, but way to early to see if he will become the next Barkley, Corliss or Oliver Miller:laugh:

Of the Trailblazers other draft selections, only Taurean Green the #56 selection seem to have a flow of the game, but missed a lot of shots (but surprisingly was able to grab a few of his own rebounds). Not much play out of Petteri Koponen and Josh McRoberts. Gabe Pruitt, the guy who accused the Pistons of hanging him out to drive in the draft room looked kind of decent out there for the Celtics, but didn't make enough of an impact in his first game.

I left after the end of the 3rd quarter, but Oden had 8 fouls at the time and 4 points and fouled out with 10 fouls. La Marcus Aldridge had a real good game and if he and Oden can form a good tandem over there the next couple of seasons, then those twin towers can challenge for the ring by 2010 if not sooner.

Looks like this game is getting ready to be televised on NBA-TV right now, so you all can view and form your own opinions. I will be back over at the Cox Pavilion in about 2 hours to get ready for JMAX, AMir, Stuckey, Afflowlo and Co. Hopefully Amir is here with his agent and he and Joe can sit down tomorrow at MGM and ink his contract:nod: . Later folks.

Oops, forgot to mention that the Celtics probably won this game due to the added
    "veteran" play of Gerald Green and Rajon Rondo as well as the inspired play of Leon Powe.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

She could hard foul better. She could take it to the hoop better.:)

17. buddahfan

Durant will get his points in the NBA. The league will see to it that officials enforce a no touch policy with regard to him, a lot more so than someone like LeBron who can take a hit and keep coming at you and as a result he will get a lot of foul shots on what would not be fouls for someone like LeBron, Duncan etc.

On defense Durant will be able to use his height and length to defend somewhat against shorter opponents provided they can't go around him.

I do not like his over all game for reasons I have already posted. He will do great in fantasy league and probably become a "Stern created Star". All things being equal if normal contact would be allowed in defending him, Durant would be a bust.

I think I have made my point clear as have Durant supporters.

18. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thanks for the reports Dre, they are awesome.

I watched Durant play yesterday. Other than watching the future stars, the summer league game I saw was some truly horrible basketball. I can see why you left after Oden fouled out!

19. linwood

linwood All-Star

How much can your wife bench?

20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Now what's the latest on YKW?:)