Nets and Heat

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by professor, Apr 7, 2006.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Not that I care too much because both clubs are really just playing for some nice parting gifts, but I've decided I would love to see the Heat fall into the 3rd playoff spot. I mean, I don't really like the Nets at all either, but maybe my hatred for the Heat is a little fresher since they are the more recent pretender. But also they just seemed so damn cocky after last season so it would be sweet to see them really put in their place.
  2. linwood

linwood All-Star

I must say that Miami has done an excellent job of stepping up to the rival plate.

After the the Nets lost KMart, and Indiana lost Ron, I was afraid that the Pistons might not have a legitimate rival. (Spurs don't count, because it's hard to hate the Spurs)

When I say legitimate, I mean not only must they be competive, but they must have loathsome players, cats you just despise because, lets face it, a hero is really only as good as his villian.

With the Nets back in business, I think you have two obvious choices in the Kiss-Blowing, Wife-parading, Troll-flaunting Jason Kidd, and the Too-good-to-play-for-the-Raptors, Phone-it-in, snake Vince Carter. The smug, trash-talking, little-eared Richard Jefferson deserves honorable mention.

The Heat have the Foot-shufflin, Elbow-throwing, Self-nicknaming, Shaquille O'Neil, and the Cryin-baby, GQ-Posin, flopping, whining, Walton-Masturbation-Fantasy Dwayne Wade.

I think these two teams are the true contenders. A point could be made for Orlando, but I don't think they meet the first criteria of being competitive.
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The Nets scare me. I think they could definately take us to 7 games in an Eastern Conference finals and if we don't show up to play could beat us.

Pat Riley ruined the Heat they were better last year. He out smarted himself bringing in hired so called guns Walker, Williams, Posey and Payton. Fatone Walker can't shoot with a hand in his face, Payton is too old and Posey and Williams can't stay healthy.

It would be nice to see the Heat and Nets beat eachother up before one of them faces the Pistons. :nod:
  4. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

:laugh:

i don't think the heat OR the nets are legit. pistons will be in the finals again.
  5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice...LMAO
  6. max

max All-Star

The Nets are the cinderella team this year. They are on pace to win 50-52 games. Their previous high in their East dominance was 51 wins and that was against a much weaker conference.

Looking at them this is a better team than 3 years ago. They have a legit Center in Kristic, Carter has found his old game. Kristic/Carter are more than Kenyon Martin. Jesfferson is off to a career season. Plus they have a bench.

Ironically their main achillies heal may be the one guy that their team is based on - Jason Kidd. Kidd has slowed down and I wonder how much he will have in a tough playoff series.

At any rate I can see the Nets and Heat beating each other up in the 2nd round as we put away Cleveland or Washington in 5.

Thats the advantage of having the #1 seed. Its huge this year.
  7. R05C03

R05C03 Second Round Draft Pick

Dudes, The nets Will Go 2 The East Finals Against pistons
    Period
    I Had A Dream About It...seriously
  8. linwood

linwood All-Star

Oh man, I am soooo excited! I can't wait for the playoffs to start!
  9. Sycamore Sam

Sycamore Sam First Round Draft Pick

That's why they are called dreams!:frusty: I dreamt I won the lottery...That was in '89!:laugh:
  10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I didn't see the games last night, but it looks the Nets are in a tough spot, and Shaq somehow turned in the worst performance of his career in Game 3. NJ is going to have to show a lot of heart to avoid going back home down 3-1.

And while the Bulls might still end up losing their series 4-1, the fact that they exposed Miami as badly as they did last night certainly makes it clear that the "on" switch hasn't been flipped yet for the Heat. A lot of people seemed to be taking Shaq's word for it that he would emerge in the playoffs after biding his time in the regular season, but his awful game last night has got to be the most alarming development yet for Miami. Not that anyone should expect him to be anywhere near that ineffective on a regular basis this post-season, but if he can't consistently dominate even against the Bulls, that spells big trouble for the Heat.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Shaq has now become the Shed. He's washed up.

His best game of the year is only in the low 30's. And his next 10 best games are in the 22-28 point range. He is a shell of his former self. I wouldn't trade Sheed or Ben for him. His only move is the elbow to the face of the defender. If he got the same respect from the refs that McDyess gets, he would foul out by halftime every single game.

If you really think about it, he wasn't himself when the Pistons trashed the Lakers in the Finals in 2004. Now it is 2 years later, he's 2 years older.
  12. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He is two years older, but he's also much thinner now, maybe 40 pounds lighter than he was in the '04 Finals. Although maybe his weight doesn't matter that much anymore, since there doesn't seem to be any circumstance where he can consistently produce for more than 30 minutes in any game, if that. It's not just the FT shooting that makes him unreliable in the 4th quarter.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I 'm more impressed with the Pace doing the Nets. Go Pace.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is my point about Shaq with supporting data:
    This year (career average) - comments
    • FT%- .469 (.528) - 2nd worst of his career
    • Reb- 9.2 (11.8) - worst year
    • Assists- 1.9 (2.8) - worst year
    • SPG- .39 (.66) - worst year
    • BPG- 1.76 (2.5) - 2nd worst year
    • PF- 3.9 (3.4) - 2nd worst year behind rookie year
    • PPG- 20 (26.3) - worst year
    So in summary, he is having his worst year ever by a wide margin in nearly every category. Good luck turning on the Diesel when you need him!
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice work TaShawn. Those familiar with me know I have been singing the "Shaq is washed up, it's Wade now" for some time.

The beauty of all this is that Shaq is virtually untradeable, and the Heat are on the hook with his contract (and declining skills/health) which will handicap Miami from being a bonafide contender going forward.

The best moves are sometimes the ones you don't make. Like trading for Iverson. Like signing Webber. Like keeping Grant Hill.
  16. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And that's with forty fewer pounds (or however many it was). Add them back on and I'd guess about 0.5 - 1 incremental games missed due to injury for each incremental pound.

And if the Heat don't make it through the playoffs this year (or maybe even if they do), Shaq shows up for camp 25-30 points heavier next year.
  17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

If you look at Shaq's stats per 48 minutes, his numbers this year do come closer to his career average in some of those categories, most notably in rebounds. But that's the key issue: he can't be as productive for as many minutes per game as he could in the past. It was reasonable to guess that his weight loss over the last couple of seasons would help him in that regard, but even that doesn't seem to have made much of a difference. He keeps getting slower and less durable every year, regardless of whatever fitness level he manages to work himself into.
  18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

No doubt Shaq is declining, but a declining Shaq is still a tough matchup for the rest of the league. Regardless, a decling Shaq and an exceptional Wade still will make for a tough out in the playoffs for years to come. Don't let the cakewalk against Milwaukee fool you. We WILL be challenged by Miami. I can't see Miami winning more than two games against us though. Not gonna happen.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Shaq fouls out on average every 46 minutes and 9 seconds. And depsite all his massaging of the refs in the press, he gets away with murder in there.
  20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Maybe this thread should have been titled

Pacers and Bulls!!!!!!!!

Who would have thunk it!!!!!!!!:doh: