New 3 point rule... Shape of things to come?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by LA Sam, Oct 22, 2005.

1. LA Sam

LA Sam Second Round Draft Pick

Here is part of the article, the full text is here

Why The NBA’s New 3-point Rule is Ridiculous

Recently, the NBA’s vice president, Stu Jackson, announced that it would change its rules for the 3-point shot for its developmental league, National Basketball Developmental League (NBDL). The experimental rule, which will be instituted on November 19, will make all field goals worth 2-points, until the final five minutes of regulation and overtime, when the 3-point line will become a factor.

This change was inspired by the increasingly low field goal percentages posted in the NBA and college games. The NBA has had a 3-point shot for baskets made from beyond 23 feet, nine inches (22 feet in the corners) since the 1979-80 season, and the number of attempts has steadily risen over the course of the quarter-century in which the rule has been in effect. If you look at the game overall, including the collegiate and high school level, since the inception of the 3-point shot, it’s being taken with an increasing amount of frequency, which in part has driven shooting percentages south, Jackson said. The 3 have become a real focal point of offenses, and we would like to turn the clock back and see what the game is like without it and the effect it has.

2. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

The part of the article I liked best was that the author pinpointed the 19'9" college arc as the reason so many players today are trey chic. I also liked his sarcastic suggestion that the easiest way to increase scoring was to move in the free throw line.

Changing rules in the middle of the game always seems like a bad idea. Maybe a deeper three line, without the corner shot. I know that hurts Bruce Bowen, but a league rule that penalizes someone else for a change wouldn't bother me. :)

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Unfortunately I don't think a deeper three point line would discourage players from taking the shot. You can thank Thunder Dan for that. :) I just think that will only serve to make field goal percentages even more atrocious if that's possible.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Street & Smith's this year had an article on this.

Did you know that the leading 3 point shooter (by %) in the first year was 39/88? That's about the same % as Bruce Bowen shot last year to lead the NBA.

Btw, moving this to NBA Stuff....

5. max

max All-Star

Rule Changes

I can see this one comming. If they experiment with it there then its bound to hit the NBA eventually. They were talking about this a few years ago.

I wish they would stop changing the rules. Just leave things alone.

If some teams let bad shooters take 3's then don't mico-manage it. Stern is such a control freak. This would also take away from players who are legit shooters.

6. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Now That Brown Works Near Stern in the Big Apple

did LB have any influence on this decision? We all know what Mr. B. thinks of the 3 point shot.

I doubt he had much influence since Brown would probably be retired before the 3 point rule in changed in the NBA, assuming it will be.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is another good reason why the DL is a good idea.

The NBA can expirement with rule changes, etc. in their very own "minor league" before bringing them to the NBA.

The NHL does this with the AHL especially. Removing the red line, no touch icing, the goalie trapazoid, tag up offsides, etc. were all experemented with in the AHL ahead of time.

The NBA needs to continue to develop the DL along these same lines.

8. max

max All-Star

3-rule

This has been on the table for a few years now.

I wonder if the main reason scoring is off is teams hanging onto the ball too long. Mid-90's coaches like Fratello and Doug Collins started using it as a way to limit the total no of shots in a game to give their teams a better chance.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

score this

That's dumb. The 3-pointers are one of the best parts of the game.

Another way that they could increase scoring would be to make the game longer, or make the basket bigger.

10. NYCpistonfan

NYCpistonfan Second Round Draft Pick

the #s

the numbers often get left out of the equation.

shooting percentages are down when you add the three's to the over all shooting percentage ( and i think down on two's alone also) but:

shooting 33% on 3's is basicly equivalent of 50% on 2s
    based on 100 shots

if you make 33 3's you get 99 points
    if you make 50 2's you get 100 points

Other factors make the eq. 3's not as good for your team. 3's often result in long rebounds ( not good ) and 2's more often result in fouls ( good )

I don't like a shot being worth one thing one min and another the next!
    but maybe they just want to get the rooks to get the fundamentals first hence the change in the D league

11. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I second that.:frusty:

This is dumb. You are going to drive the scoring down and create more blow outs and lopsided victories. In today's NBA the 3 pointer is a weapon. It is a momentum changer and a crowd pleaser. Teams are never out of the game when you have a good 3 point shooter in the game. You could be down by 25 points and hit a couple 3's and be right back in the game.

If you want to increase scoring which the league does based on there attempts to ruin good defensive teams with their new rules just move the 3 point line in and make it the same length as the college game.

12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

get rid of the 3

Hell no! that would be stupid, move it in if you want a better % but dont get rid of it. or here is an idea make the paint a 3 and everything else worth 2
    wait shaq would average about 55 points a game:doh:

I wish they would just leave the rules alone baseball does not change the rules every 5 or 10 years why should basketball