New Jersey Nets Dec.31st, 3:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 26, 2008.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Held em to 75. Whenever Rip gets healthy he's probably gonna have to come off the bench by default.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Another great defensive win. Do we miss Rip? Not a whole heck of a lot. I'm guessing the leecap will emphasize we don't miss Dice much either. :)

Without Dice and Rip, and losing Sheed early, we managed to beat a hot Nets team that previously OWNED us, even if they also lost a starter (Carter) to ejection.

Big plays down the stretch when the offense and defense were ugly.

Brook Lopez has a big game, but I don't mind making all-stars out of second stringers or rookies, if we win. All that matters is the W.

Pistons really starting to come together now. You can feel the confidence and the work ethic is as good as it's been since 2005 IMO.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We just held NJ to about 30 points under their road average this year. And don't for a moment say it was because Vince Carter got ejected. Thats his problem for one, and two, NJ only had 20 points total, midway thru the 2nd quarter, when he got ejected. Just one great defensive game, holding NJ to 75 points.

I hope everyone can clearly see why we lost to NJ in the first game? Curry decided he could get away with not playing Afflalo. Tonight, Afflalo helped check Harris into nothingness in that first half. And he basically stifled Carter too. Wow, no way Afflalo can be left out of a game if we hope to have a chance to win a game. That first game, I believe that was our first loss of the season, and AI's first game.

How good is our new waive of young stars? Afflalo, Stuckey, Amir, and JMAX comprised the bulk of the minutes in this game, and we held the 3rd hottest road team in the league to 75 points. They are pretty darn good.

Amir. He got into some foul trouble. But hey, his 3rd foul was picked up playing center vs. Lopez, who is clearly quite the handful for Amir. We had JMAX and Amir in their for bigs. Anyway, Amir still only ended up getting 4 fouls, again just getting one foul in the 2nd half of the game. (Simply by backing off his defensive efforts a notch.) We outrebounded NJ. Amir was part of that with his hustle on the offensive glass. He got a dunk on fast break, a dunk on a putback, a made hook shot, and a dunk on off a pick and roll with AI.

JMAX. Nine bounds. Our best runs were with JMAX in the game. He showed a lot of ability to use his strength to keep Lopez away from the basket. His highlight was a powerful drive in score. Too bad he is not steadier at the line.

Kwame. Played about 20 minutes in this one, made a few shots. And one of about 4 f/t's. Five turns for him, same as Stuck. In all, he did not do that bad, as he at least presented Lopez with a sizeable center defending him.

Sheed only played 10 minutes before injuring his foot. I think they said his foot got kicked. They kept him out strictly for precautionary reasons. The injury is not serious.

Dyess did not play. He warmed up, but his ribs tightened up on him during warmups.

Rip did not play, still recovering from a groin injury. Still not even able to practice.

So after Sheed went down, we used a seven man rotation the rest of the game, with Afflalo and Maxiell the only guys off the bench. Kwame started the 2nd half.

Typical play in the first half. Harris drives AI. Gets past him. We have two guys behind AI covering his back. Amir swats the shot. After Amir came out, Afflalo was in so we did not need the backup.

What did Afflalo do. Just defense? Nope. Two made threes. A good hard drive thru traffic for a bucket, and one shorter shot made. 30 minutes, fourth highest tonight for us in minutes. Afflalo and JMAX were in during both huge runs for us. In both the 2nd and 4th quarters, we built about a 15 point lead, mostly with good solid D.

Stuckey. Very little from him tonight, except that he got hot on pull up jumpers from just beyond the f/t line midway thru the 4th quarter to keep a bit of a lead for us.

AI. Scoring hero tonight. Crunch time scoring hero. They cut the lead to 3. Remember that "what I called a reverse fade going from right to left." Tonight he did the same going from left to right. And with their center all over it trying to block it to no avail. Then he nailed a pullup jumper to put us up 7 with about a minute or so to go. AI did a lot of scoring in the 4th in all, 17 for the 2nd half.

Tay. You know, I don't think we overplayed Tay that badly in this game. It seems he sat quite a spell in the 2nd quarter, where we had Stuck, AI, Afflalo, JMAX, and Kwame in the game. Tay ended up with a very well rounded game. Lots of points scored, rebounds, assists. He ended up playing power forward to close the game out. First with JMAX at center, then with Amir at center. It actually did not turn out so well us doing that, but all our lead did not go away entirely. Tay did score a bucket or two around crunch time. Let me see, Afflalo was playing the D, AI and Stuck were taking turns burning energy giving us O. We got the win. It was not pretty, but we got the win. Now, if Sheed had been available, or even Dyess, I bet we would not have gone small there. But with only two choices otherwise (JMAX and Amir together, or play Kwame), you can't really argue with the decision to go small to finish the game.

The main story of this game was the 2nd quarter, where a quite plausible starting unit that we could use held NJ, as a team, to just 2 points well into the quarter. (somewhat past the midway point.) AI, Stuck, Afflalo, JMAX, Kwame. We did not score that readily at first, but we built up a sizeable lead after a while. NJ ended up with just 29 points for the first half, 11 points for the quarter.

Five wins in a row, the last few against some decent competition. (Milwaukee just beat SA by the way, and has been winning almost everything of late since they got their big three back. That was a quality win.)

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  4. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Is this first time this year Acker played ? I wonder if Curry is up to something ?
  5. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

NBA.com Pistons beat Nets 83-75

Devin Harris:
    "I thought we lost a lot of rhythm in the second, especially when Vince got thrown out,'' Harris said. "Still, this is a good measuring stick - this is a team that has been to the Eastern Conference finals a bunch of years in a row, and we were right there with them, even without Vince.''

What a idiot, Pistons were playing without Rip, Sheed and Dice. Not even close to being the team that went to the ECF and they still won. Great job by the bench :good:
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm glad Sheed's OK. I missed the game, and thought he had gotten thrown out or seriously injured.

It's funny how match-ups are. This same NJ got blown out by CHI last game at home.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LP I missed it too, but I am back home and found out that the game is being replayed right now on the FSN network (ch 663 on Direct TV) . Those with League pass can get it there.

Good to see the Pistons defense has some how turned it around. Is ugly ball back?
  8. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

its ugly ball.. but with a bit of AI stirred in, he seems to have the knack to get us a bucket everytime we needed one throughout the 2nd half.

the only thing the Nets had going for them today was the Center... who would have gotten nothing going against wallace all game long.
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The zone gave us a little trouble today. Would have like to see either Walt or Acker get a crack at it tonite. Acker has one of the prettier shots on the team even thogh his defense is suspect. We could have traded 2 for 3 until they got out of the zone.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Sheed was not hurt at all, he AND Rip are faking. My sources tell me that this is Coach Curry's master plan to keep them from reaching the Tech limit before the playoffs. GENE-YUS!!!!!
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Vince and company had not scored but a bucket for several minutes before he got tossed. Like sure, that disrupted their rhythm something fierce, him getting tossed.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

3rd game in a row where our opponent had the lowest point total in the NBA for the night. It is so much more fun watching games where an 8 point lead seems completely comfortable.

And I have to say that the 2nd quarter was an Afflalo masterpiece. He's our Bruce Bowen. He can shut down great players and he seems to be able to knock down the open 3's from the sidelines just like BB. Harris killed us last game (with 26 FTA's!) and he was off to a decent start tonight before we put the stopper on him.

Other thoughts:
    Amir had a fun flash there in the 1st quarter with the block, steal, and dunks. Also a big jump ball win to seal the game at the end.

However, I really wasn't digging the small ball when we already had the lead... and to make it worse, our only big was Amir??? I like him and all, but he's not able to handle a true C like Lopez with no help. Our lead was slipping pretty good for a while there before AI hit some extremely difficult shots.

Kwame Brown- Pretty good game from him I thought, but man was he being watched by the refs. 5 turnovers with at least 3 of them being 3-in the paint violations.

Also, I thought Acker played a nice game. No mistakes that I noticed.

Pretty weird that we just played NJ without CB, Rip, Dyess, or Sheed. We only had 20% of last year's line-up on the floor and we still played Piston basketball.

I'm really pumped up about our new defensive identity with an unselfish offensive attack and a superstar to bail us out late on the clock. 10 more games like this and we'll have our rep back.
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yeah acker had a solid 1.9 seconds :)

did anyone else smile every time Arvis took a jumper? tashawn, great point about playing the game w/o 20% of our starting lineup from last year...in fact it looked more like pistons basketball.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Absolutely.

Great jobs by Kwame and Amir not sulking and contributing after their lengthy rests.

I thought Tay really hurt DET on offense against the zone. He was perfect to put in the middle of thing yesterday.

I don't want to pile on TGRH because it really isn't about him, it is about the roster. TG comes back and AA and probably Max and Kwame are out. I can't believe what I'm seeing sometimes because they're stopping P&R's now. They're rebounding and running too. They are balanced.

TG comes back and they're going to tailor the offense for 24' J's. I do not think it is a coincidence that Sheed has been more involved offensively these last few games. I would rather this continues that have him setting screens all game.

I thought Kwame had to take a dump when he left the court with seconds to go in the game. Turns out he had the AI approved "family emergency".
  15. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Agreed that it was a solid contribution there by Acker. Don't think we lose a game with Acker getting such minutes. LOL...

20% of our starting lineup from last year and it has become a measuring stick for the Nets??? If Sheed play the entire game, I would GUARANSHEED Nets would not have score more than 40 pts in the 2nd half.

Was wondering what is with KB's FT shooting? If Shaq has problems with FTs cuz his palm are too big to shoot, KB with small hands would have at least shoot 70% from the line.:rolleyes:
  16. explosivity

explosivity First Round Draft Pick

Man the other day I was thinking the same thing and we would be very lucky if AA can turn out to be another BB. I'm very impressed with AA and to me he is almost as untouchable as Stuckey in my opinion. He knows his role and doesnt play outside of it, very intelligent player!!!!!!!
  17. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You GO Round, you are absolutely right, I thought that I was the only noticed this.
  18. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We may get our wish Delfino for the Sac game if McDyess, Sheed and Rip are all out.

It's time to see what Acker can bring, we already know that Fabio is inconsistent, I am all for it.
  19. max

max All-Star

Just watched the game. Heard most of it on the radio yesterday.

Very impressive win considering how short-handed the Pistons were. Amir chipped in big-time to help on the depleated frontcourt. Everyone looked solid.

My highlight of the game has to be those circus shots by AI in crunchtime. I have not seen moves like that from a Piston since G.Hill in his prime. I am not sure whats going to happen next year but its going to be a lot of fun watching AI as he gets more and more assimulated with the Pistons. We would have lost this one without AI.
  20. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Especally with dan crawford reffing