Home New Orleans Hornets Monday Feb 11 2013

Discussion in 'February 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 29, 2012.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Which is why I have serious doubts about Greg Monroe having success as a PF.

This was an off night, but it's also a bad match-up for us (especially without Andre Drummond), going forward they may be another Utah for us.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I think that Drummond being down illustrates what little height this team has. Monroe and Kravtsov. Villanueva, but he plays like a shooting guard, not a PF.

Jason Maxiell is just painful for me to watch now.

del likes this.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Watching this game I noticed something, Brandon Knight is mentally weak. When things are going well he will ride that emotion and produce good results, when they go bad- he compounds the bad with even more mistakes. He's not Austin Daye weak, but he's very Tayshaun like.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Knight's game is mostly mental, and it's whether he can control that which will determine how his career goes.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I really can't believe that we saw 6 minutes of:

PG: Bynum
    SG: English
    SF: Stuckey
    PF: Jerebko
    C: Villanueva

That is the ultimate small ball. And on the other side, Villa was actually matched against Lopez at the end before Frank abandoned it.

That was the most unfun game of the year to watch IMO. The calls were going against us every time (charges vs blocking calls were brutal). The ball was going in an out of the hoop. NO hit every open shot and about half of the fully contested or desperation shots at the end of the shot clock. We couldn't even get the out of bounds calls to go our way. Ryan Anderson looked like the best player on the planet. We were totally outsized (10 blocks to 3). Monroe was missing all of his FT's (1-7).
    Calderon's hot shooting and decent passing were the bright spots... maybe along with Stuckey's amazing ability to draw a foul every other possession.

NO's defense was really good. I still think I would refuse a Drummond for A. Davis trade.

6. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I thought after his Olympics performance, Ryan Anderson would get picked up by someone, but didn't realise NO had - let alone that he has been their top scorer. Really happy to see another Aussie in the NBA, and doing so well. Not so happy with what he did to the Pistons in this game

NO hot all night, poor D, poor refs, shots missed from 1ft, etc, etc, etc....

Horrible game. Moving on - just need to get a win on the last game before the all star break.

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It also illustrates how un-athaletic the Pistons are.

8. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Could this could be an issue of confusing cause and effect? In other words, when Knight plays well, the team plays well as a result, rather than the other way around?

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Another possibility is that the premise isn't true.

When Knight scores 20 or more, we are 7-7.
    When he has 5 turnovers or more, we are 4-4.
    When he has 6 or more assists, we are 3-10.
    When his TS% is .700 or higher, we are 3-4.
    When he plays 35 minutes or more, we are 5-8.

I can pull some of his stats that show a correlation to winning, but I can also pull a lot of meaningful ones that show little or no correlation, as it is with most players.

Usually, against bad teams, the players do well and the team does well. Against great teams, the opposite is true.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

You look at stats and see a good player. I look at the player-play and see a kid struggling to find a way to be successful in this league. The Point is too much for him, he's not a natural scorer, good enough shooter or really big enough to play the 2.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Those stats weren't trying to show that he's a good player. More that his performance isn't high when the going is good and low when the going is bad as was the contention. His performance is sort of random.

I agree that he's inconsistent. I just don't think that he has a mental problem.

He's tried to fit in at PG and it's not natural for him. He's no Allen Houston/ Ray Allen at SG. He's... a combo guard, like every guard that Dumards drafts. His good games are good, his defense is intriguing, and his bad games are way too frequent.

I'm sort of in no man's land with him in my opinion. I see some potential and wouldn't be upset if he sticks around, but I also believe that he's been really ineffective on the whole. I just don't dwell on him too much because he's on a rookie contract and he's one of the handful of players on the team who produces on occasion. Calderon is superior offensively and at running the offense.

I hope that Knight can find a way to utilize his best attributes at SG (3-point shooting, slashing, fast breaking, and staying in front of his man on D). I'm willing to give him some time to adjust to the new position after being handed the franchise for 2 years at starting PG. Calderon needs to be in sync with everybody for the offense to run well and has barely had time to practice.

My worries about Knight are mainly related to his jump shot. His shot is accurate when he's set, but seems inaccurate when he's drifting or when pressured (partly due to his low release point). Most of his 3-point makes seem to be when the defender drops off of him to sag or go around a screen and he can freeze and then jump toward the hoop. He got a lot of those at PG when he was up top dribbling. At SG, he needs to be on the move and he needs to catch and shoot much more often than shoot off of the dribble. So far, it has been my observation that he's struggling with those.

And I agree that Knight never could seem to grasp the P&R. He's 63 for 175 this season when he P&R's and takes it himself (36%). Bynum is close to 50% for comparison.