Home New Orleans Pelicans Friday, January 24, 2014

Discussion in 'January 2014' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Bringing this forward...

Wow... I don't even know what to do with all of this...

It's downright paranoid and absurd to claim that the coach is sabotaging the team to get minutes for Singler, in order to make him look better. If this were the case, Singler would be starting.

Jennings/Pope/Smith/Monroe/Drummond are fifth in the league in minutes played together as a five-man unit. Singler is 179th in the league in minutes played per game. While he does have a tendency to put Singler and/or Stuckey into the game after 7 or 8 minutes, nearly all coaches do this with their bench players. Very few starting squads are on the floor for the whole first (or third) quarter.

So you're complaining about the coach making adjustments if the starting five isn't playing or matching up well? I don't even know if that's worthy of a retort - it's the coach's job to watch what's going on on the court and substitute as necessary.

I agree with your assertion here - that the starters are playing even up for the most part. They aren't that terrible of a unit, really.

You talked about subs, but only mentioned Bynum and Singler (with Bynum being twice as bad as Singler recently). My contention is that Singler's terrible-looking results are primarily because of who he plays with.

Here are the totals for the season:
    (starters) Jennings/Pope/Smith/Monroe/Drummond: -40 (456 minutes)
    Jennings/Stuckey/Singler/Smith/Monroe: -37 (104 minutes)
    Jennings/Pope/Singler/Smith/Monroe: +21 (62 minutes)
    Jennings/Pope/Singler/Monroe/Drummond: +13 (29 minutes)
    Jennings/Pope/Singler/Smith/Drummond: -24 (8 minutes over 2 games)

Singler and Stuckey are -83 for the season.
    Singler and Drummond are -110.
    Singler and Monroe are -3.
    Singler and Smith are -27.
    Singler and Bynum are -49.
    Singler and Harrellson are -16.
    Singler and Billups are -12.
    Singler and Jerebko are -18.

So what's the hang-up? Why am I defending the dude?

Singler and Pope are +14 over 347 minutes. When Singler has assistance on the perimeter (i.e. someone else that can guard their man), he becomes much more effective. Again, I'm not saying that Singler is all that amazing, but when I compare these stats to Stuckey's (minus with everyone except Smith (+2)), I start to think that maybe the reason Singler shows poorly is because of who he plays with.

J-Train, linwood and basketbills like this.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Laimbrane, our Coach has stated that he believes Singler has a place on any team. Speaks real high of him. Several times. So, when I talk about obsession, I am talking about stubborness on coach's part not to try other solutions. And stubborness in regards to ever seeing that he is wrong about how great a job Singler is doing. To me, he is blind to all the times that Singler either opts out of a play, or shows to be too slight a player, or too slow a player, for a given situation. Note, we were doing great this last game. Absolutely for certain no reason we needed Singler out there at that point. What possibly possessed the coach to not only go with Singler, but never put our starting unit back in the game? Singler was the first guy he called, and the lasts guy he stubbornly took off the floor. Most coaches, from what I have seen, would have rode their starting unit a few more minutes when they were on a 30-4 run toward the end of the 3rd quarter. So call me paranoid if you wish, but they say its not paranoia if what you are afraid of happens to be real.

I watch 7 NBA teams. None of the other coaches routinely respond to any adversity by pulling the starting unit. One thing I do like about this coach, is that he does stick with this starting unit, and that includes starting Pope, a rookie. A rookie who a lot of people argued with me about before he got all these minutes. Note, we have had no injuries at all among our starters since we went to this unit. That helps build the minutes. Anyway, my point on that goes to the most recent games, where the coach has become reluctant to finish games with his starters. (And my near hatred of small ball, like he has finished with lately where we never can get a rebound when we need one.)

More response later. Got to get back to the movie - we have let it play a while so we can skip the commercials. The New Lizzy Borden movie with Ricci. Pretty good so far.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We are supposedly healthy and can't beat anyone.
    Back home in Cali .... found out this free league pass week.....no wonder my mom had it.....it's over tomorrow for those that didn't take advantage of. There were plenty of good games that were on this week....not involving the Pistons...

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

More to Laimbrane: No coach I know of otherwise routinely pulls their center for a small forward. I know we have a unique situation, but hey, we can also put Harrellson out there when we sit Drummond, and stay big up front. And by the way, that has consistently worked. There is a reason our big front line works, they guard the hoop. As soon as Singler comes in, that disapears, and our rebounding stops too.

Your stat on the pairing of Singler and Pope reflects the fact that the Pistons often collapse as soon as Bynum comes in with Singler, giving us two very poor defensive players on the floor. In any case, this coach subs in pairs, or by threes, for the most part, so it becomes very difficult to pinpoint the problem. In my opinion, as this coach has done so little to sort out his bench, he is simply not trying to. Indeed, my concern is that he does not want to, as somebody above has maybe told him not to solve the problem - but instead continue to play Singler and Bynum. Note, that it is rare to see both Pope and Bynum on the floor, as Bynum is usually paired with another point guard, be it Billups, Stuckey, or Jennings. We have seen Pope at small forward more just of late, but that is usually Jennings, Stuckey, Pope.

5. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

From the last few games, I hope most of us would have witness that trading Monroe is not the answer. I read a lot of post in here suggesting that we trade Monroe so that Smith can play in his natural position, PF. So what happen when Smith plays PF & Drummond at C in this game almost the whole 4th quarter? They are suppose to play DEFENSE that everyone feared. Being outscore 32-21 and Gordon simply just score the game winning shot with a layup.

What we need here is better coaching, not only from Mo Cheeks but the entire coaching group.

There are forumites who say we need high percentage shooters, and hey, we have good shooters. Gigi, JJ & Jorts can shoot. Even CV can shoot. But they are never given a chance to play. And when they do, the combination or rotation of players they are playing simply can't get them the ball at their sweet spot which they can make the shot at a higher percentage. Good coaches comes out with a system like the Spurs. Pop has a system and he call plays that brings out the best from his players. He uses each of his player's strengths. Danny Green was not wanted at the Cavs but Pop made him a star. Diaw was a role player wherever he plays except the Suns and Pops made him into one of the key players (other than the Big 3). Same goes for Splitter. That's what Mo Cheeks and his coaching staffs have to do. Our BIG 3 can play together, like Lee said, cuz our starting 5 have always been competitive.

Remember last season, when our 2nd unit comprising of Bynum, Dre, CV, JJ & Singler used to give opponents 2nd unit fits? If this group can be competitive, why we do not see this combination even once this season? I believe that Bynum, Dre, CV or Jorts, JJ or Gigi, Singler or Pope can be competitive or even better with opponents 2nd units instead of Bynum, Stuckey, Monroe, Singler & Jennings which Mo sometimes play them towards the end of the 1st quarter and early 2nd quarter.

We also need to have better offensive schemes with our BIG 3. Posting Smith or Monroe, the only 2 option, is not enough. We need more screens in the paint. We need screens so that Smith can cut into the lane, or Dre to cut into lane, etc. We need screens from anyone so that either Smith or Monroe can get the ball closer to the paint, etc. We need more movement from all the players, esp in the 4th quarter instead of Jennings or Smith or Stuckey going one on one and putting up bricks. Our pick & roll both offensively & defensively sucks. Need coaches to refine them for the players.

Our group of players now are good enough to win 41 games, it is just that the entire coaching staffs are a bit weak. Adding Smith, who is suppose to be a Defense guy only gave us an additional win compared to last season after 41 games. Monroe is not to blame. Once again, trading Monroe is not the answer.

J-Train and Slippy like this.
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

A lot of the 2nd unit success last year came with Austin daye and villanueva with Bynum and drummond. Orlando model.

The Panda likes this.
  7. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

8. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Mo Cheeks relies on Singler because he doesn't know how to teach his players how to play basketball. Kyle Singler is the ONLY Piston that has actually played the game of basketball on a consistent basis. Everybody else out there is playing streetball. It is bat**** crazy to even contemplate that the fact that this team is this bad is due to any one player, much less a 23 minute a night reserve. This team's struggles have almost NOTHING to due with the coach's rotation decisions, and almost EVERYTHING to due with the fact that the coach can't seem to get any of his players to play NBA basketball.

I have never seen anything like this.

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Monroe is skilled, just slow footed (fast handed). Pope knows what he's doing, he's just taking a backseat to the ball hogs.

Dre just has no offensive skills except great coordination.

dba likes this.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Which of these problems were most responsible for our 30-4 run last game, with our starters?

TaS likes this.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Why would problems be responsible for a run? That doesn't make any sense and makes me question your basketball judgment.

12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor