Away New Orleans Pelicans Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Discussion in 'December 2013' started by roscoe36, Oct 21, 2013.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Looks like damon Jones still has the trillion record with 12T (in a finals game). If cheeks knew Siva was so close, he probably would have left him in to make a run at it.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Jennings can't guard ANYBODY!
    Smith cant either. I forgot who said it but Smith is almost Ben Wallace bad on offense!
    Dre looks tired 23 games into the season.
    Pope's shot was getting better.....then it just went away again.
    This frontline isn't working anymore, since film and scouting reports are out on us. One of the three eeds to go to the bench and I don't care who it is.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Pistonpowered gives Singler a B:

The defense in general was abysmal.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Who plays SF when you do this?
  5. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Why not give Peyton Siva some run at 3?
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bynum could if he was taller. I agree with you. Go with Siva.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Mejia.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Think how many near steals Siva could get as a SF?
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Would it be a bold move to bring in Swin Cash...or is she too old?
  10. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Was expecting this, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch.

Ugly, ugly game tonight and we didn't deserve to be even close. I understand there has to be growing pains with this team, but it looked like we had turned a corner last week, but no.

Smith has become 50% less of a player since joining us. I have been happy the way he has been team orientated (other than the bricks), but he has played twice as many games where I feel like we have chained ourselves to an anvil and chucked ourselves in the river than where I thought we got good value from an all round player.
    Jennings has reverted back to shoot first (because we are so woeful) from the facilitating he was doing and he just doesn't get how to feed the right people at the right time.
    If you'd told me that I would be asking Stuckey be played instead of Singler last year I would have slapped you in the face. I don't know who I dislike more - Singler for stinking it, or Mo for playing him.

And I don't think there is a word for how bad we are on D. What the hell?!?! This was meant to be the promise of this lineup, but instead we are the WORST in the NBA. The only time it looks decent is when Harrelson is on the floor.

Seriously. What. The. Hell?!
    We go from beating the Heat, to losing to the goddamn Davis-less-Pelicans.

I am so disenchanted right now :crying:
    Lee356 and linwood like this.
  11. Woody

Woody All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tell us how you REALLY feel.
    linwood and del like this.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

CV, and Gordon pretty much round it out. Of course, you well could add crazy stretches where we played Tay or Daye at power forward, or JJ at power forward. All pretty bad choices by the coach. While Singler is not as bad as Curry, I'd put all the others ahead of him.
  13. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

From jump it was obvious our big 3 had trouble with the likes of Smith, Aminu and Anderson. None of these guys are perennial top scorers but they rolled hard to the basket and was largely uncontested at the rim.
    PopcornMachine's GameFlows
    Singler is in for both the 7-0 Detroit run and the 9-0 Detroit run. He had 3 blocks. I'm not going to say he deserves more credit because frankly, he needs to put up stats and not just the intangibles or whatever. He rarely makes plays. That's a problem. I think he plays good positional defense off ball that limits the rampant cutting to the hoop that afflicts the starters but when push comes to shove and a play needs to be made, he doesn't have it in him.

But the problems of last night belong to the team as a whole. Pick and Roll defense is garbage. People need to cut more when Moose gets the ball. We go 1 on 5 too often. Jennings needs to learn how to run a team. It was great seeing all thos off balance shots go in but on the other end Jrue effortlessly lays one in...and Singler wasn't playing.

Drummond needs to figure stuff out. Was he tired or just out of position all the time. We need him to play big but NO had the game plan: start out away from the basket and cut hard. He's great but he should probably come off the bench and play big minutes. Moose is kind of lost until he moves to C later on in the game.

Jorts is getting in, Siva too. I think Mitchell belongs in the D-league where he can develop but if he gets some burn and Singler watches from the sideline, I wouldn't complain.

I thought KCP did a good job on Gordon. Jrue is a tough cover for anyone.

I wonder if Stuckey holding his thumb at the end of regulation was why singler was in. Would have preferred Stuckster.
    roscoe36, basketbills and Lee356 like this.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just wanted to point out, since Singler was minus 7 for the game, care to mention all the negative runs he was part of? We have recently enjoyed a couple of wins, where our defense was pretty darn good. Singler was not in either much. Yeah, the intangibles. With playing no D, scoring few points, and not helping out with rebounding when part of the front line, just how much was Singer responsible for any of the positive runs? From what I see, its more like others, like Stuckey or Jennings, pour in the points, while Singler just finds ways to give them back up.
    The Panda likes this.
  15. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We score very easily. Smith and Jennings for all their perceived and tangible faults and shot selection are not the reason we are losing., It is that we are giving up so many easy baskets its laughable. Someone else said it, but the team is so easily fooled by simple plays and picks. I think teams "dummy" and misdirection are actually working as the preliminary play option. How may times does the roll man have no one by him. The Bosh dunk. The Pekovic dunk etc.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

I thought Drummond was making a concerted effort to block shots last night as he's been urged to. It often left him out of position.

Drummond was the runner up for the EC player of the week last week but now he's too tired to start?

Sent from the new and improved Tapatalk 2.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Are we watching the same team? You do realize that one of the reasons why teams are scoring so easily is because Jennings can't stay in front of his man. Many of their ill advised bricks turn into running opportunities. Smith gets outplayed by his counterpart EVERY NIGHT! That's cool when we play Indy, Miami and Portland......but you can't keep up with Trevor Ariza, Wesley Johnson or Aminu either?
  18. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

:cold:
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I only watched the 1st half of the game and the overtime, but I want to correct something. Pelicans didn't go on a big run as soon as Singler entered the game. It was when Stuckey came in for Drummond and we started playing small ball (Jennings-Pope-Stuckey-Singler-Moose). When we have both Drummond and Smith on the bench, we have no inside defense and it's a layup drill for the other team or wide open threes when we scramble all 5 players in an attempt to cover a guard who dribbles a little too fast towards the basket. I'm not saying that Singler is an awesome player or anything. I'm just saying that pinning this loss on Singler alone is not fair.

The guy who buried us is Ryan Anderson. A guy who is crazy good from 3 pt land. Attempting to cover him with Moose or Smith was a joke. Moose is bad defensively and Smith is a lazy defender at the perimeter. Put Drummond on him, or even Mitchell. An athletic big guy who would at least bother him.

Drummond was also very disappointing defensively. He knows how to block a penetrating guy as a help defender, but he's clueless when the other team switches and he's covering a guard. So many times the Pelican guards would just dribble and jack up a jumper and Drummond wouldn't even raise his arm as a deterrent. He is good, very good, but he still has a long way to go.

Jennings was sloppy with the ball. He was forcing it too much.

But, this was a pure coaching loss IMO. We played small ball for long stretches. We failed to exploit our one big advantage, the size in our front court. Instead of dictating the style of play, we succumbed to the type of game Pelicans wanted to play. Terrible, terrible, decisions throughout the game.

Finally, the group that finished the 4th quarter should've been allowed to play the OT. That's the group of guys that got to tie the game, those are the guys that can win it. They had the momentum.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We just have too many flaws. I think was Chauncey that said you have to take SOMETHING away defensively, you can't be bad on the perimeter AND giving easy lay ups and dunks. Jennings just can't guard anybody and it causes the entire defense to scramble to cover for him. Now couple that with putting our second worst defender, Moose, in a pick and roll with Jennings.........smh......
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.