New rumor: Pistons promise Mullens to take him if he is available at 15

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Can anyone name any impact players that could be available at the 15?

2. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

First, I believe Kwame Brown is decent, but in need of some consistency, just like everyone else on the team. He is capable of being an impact player. I also believe that impact players can come off the bench. Will Bynum, in my opinion, is an impact player. I thought, because of Hunter's defense, he was an impact player. Unfortunately, being an impact didn't come every night.

Everywhere I'm reading says Mullens is a project with a poor work ethic, in a mediocre draft class. We need someone Kwame can back up, not the other way around. Unfortunately, Chandler possibly has a "Hill" ankle. But, I would look for a starting center in the free agency.

Everyone is getting down on Tay. He's been called an over rated defender along with other negaitve comments. I haven't look at the minutes or number of starts, but I believe tay is the team's iron man. Injuries? Absences? Has he ever had a decent back up? There are a number of players who play out of position, but it seems tay is called to do more for the team than any other Piston. the majority believes he has more value as trade bait than a team member. I don't think so. In saying all of that, if I had to choose at #15, it would be Earl Clark. The only reason I would trade Tay is if he is holding the team back from "running".

3. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Perhaps Joe wants to draft Mullens because he heard a rumor that BJ's name is also his nickname. :gun1:

The way I see it, if we are going to waste the #15 on a ridiculous pick there may as well be a ridiculous reason why we did it. :)

4. blackhawk

blackhawk First Round Draft Pick

Giving someone a promise makes a draft prospect happy. Past experience tells me the Pistons are not an organization that cares about making players happy. Most recent example is Rips extension and trading Chauncey two days later!

Would assume that "the promise" puts us in a better position for a reason too complicated to figure out at this point.....perhaps it convinces someone ahead of us to draft Mullens.

We can sit here and talk about Mullens all day but if you ask me I will guarantee that we will not draft him IMO. Sports business, like any other business requires a certain level of shadiness in order to be a step ahead.

5. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

It keeps the kid from working out from other teams that might otherwise pick him before you do. Many times (not always though) a kid that receives a "promise" from an NBA team promptly shuts it down until draft day.

It keeps an underclassman that is on the bubble (stay in school or commit) in the draft by ensuring him and his agent that he will be a first round pick.

Stuff like that.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We were in need of a big man in 2003 and our # 2 selection was the worst top 5 draft pick so far of this short century. Why duplicate it again on a project? We have drafted projects in Darko, Amir, Sharpe and Samb and none of them have panned out or made an impact on this or any team.

Either take the best player available and use him as trade bait or take the best forward available who can possibly start by midseason.

I would rather go with Darren Daye's son if we are going to waste a pick on a project...at least he has some NBA DNA in him as oppose to some one with poor skills.

7. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

1) I agree completely

however.......

2) How dare you forget about TRENT PLAISTED?!?!?!?

8. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

That's definitely a possibility as well. Maybe the promise wasn't that we would draft him, but that we would draft him for someone else.

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

But wouldn't that be a disadvantage to the kid...wouldn't he usually want to be drafted higher?

Plus...don't teams sometimes go back on their promises? That could cost the kid several positions on where he was drafted too because teams wouldn't draft him if he didn't work out for them. I dunno. I agree with Max. I don't get it.

10. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Not unless they want to ruin their rep with agents going forwards in their career as GM.

That's big.

You're only as good as your word.

Screw one agent/kid, and none of them trust you going forward. Word is bond in this business if you want to stay around for a while.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is a good question... we saw this two years ago from DX (Stuckey)... at some point you start believing certain sources.... DX does a little more homework... Joe would be naive to think that this wouldn't leak out to the media (from the draftee?).
    Of course we don't know the possible smokescreens that could possibly weedout some potential trade partners.
    We have seen this script before... and they didn't lie.
    For the record I'm a 100% ok with drafting the freshman Mullens.... worse case is that bigs tend to garner nicer trade returns.... we did get Stuck from Darko after several years of towel waiving.

12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Even the usually disregarded Peter Vecsey was the first one to report the Pistons aqcuisition of Rasheed Wallace.

Broken clock territory?

I don't think so.

13. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

Once again, this draft is extremely weak. As a result, anyone taken here is going to be a project. You cannot compare this pick, number 15 in the 2009 draft, to Darkos #2 pick in one on of the greatest draft classes of all time.

In my opinion, if you have the worst front courts in the NBA (with current projected lineup) why not take a 7 footer with the 15 pick. No one has answered the question proposed by another poster, who do you take with the 15th pick who is better or ready to contribute right now? Only one I could see with enough of a college resume is Tyler Hansbrough. However, there has to be a reason so many scouts want to pass on him.

14. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Earl Clark

15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

EXACTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTLY.....NAME ONE BIG MAN who dominated in the NBA AFTER NOT dominating in College!!!???

16. detteam

detteam All-Star

Dwight Howard

17. G-man

G-man Starter

18. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well if you're gonna be a smart-bum about it you might as well go back to the OG, Moses Malone.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

20. max

max All-Star

Thanks all. It does make more sense now. Something like if Dumars does promise to take him then it may influence the draft to have him fall down to #15.