New rumor: Pistons promise Mullens to take him if he is available at 15

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Jun 19, 2009.

1. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Who knows what it means? It is all rumors, and, by the way, who spread them? Who is interested? There are too many questions.
  2. detteam

detteam All-Star

That's an interesting scenario. So who at #25...Daye?
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

This is from a writer from pacersdigest.com that happened to be sitting next to Mullens on a flight.

"His favorite team he's tried out for so far was the Pistons, felt as if there might be a place in their plans for him.

When I asked him about players he'd like to emulate, he didn't have a concrete answer. He seemed to like McDyess a lot, and when I mentioned Kaman (only person that came to mind at the time), he agreed that he shared some similarities. He basically skated the question by saying there were lots of players that had features he'd like to emulate."

This is seeming more like the Stuckey talk before he was selected @ #15... the stars are beginning to line up in a consistant pattern.

Also interesting was the Kaman comparison... which is what DX used as Mullen's best case scenario (worst case was Kwame).

btw, thanks for for all of the media reports (especially G-Man)... makes for a good start to fathers day :^)
  4. kcpistonfan

kcpistonfan First Round Draft Pick

In my opinion, an athletic 7 footer who is a freshman is more desirable than a 6/8 SF/PF who was only averaging 14 a game as a junior. Both have a good chance of not having good careers, but which one has the most upside? Out of position 6’8 players are easier to come by than 7 foot centers.

I might be wrong. Earl Clark might be an All-Star in 5 years. However, I like my chances with Mullens. Lastly, I would not like him at 15 if this was a deep draft, but it is far from it.
  5. mikhail1973

It may well be that way. Big part of the draft is a crapshoot, so who knows which guy will be a better pick?
  6. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

There is quite a genius scenario that gets presented right there, all initiated by Joe Dumars promising the Thunder two bigs in Amir and BJ for basically nothing in order to influence Hasheem Thabeets (who just canceled his workout for the Grizzlies) drop to Washingtons #5 slot, where they are ready and willing to trade that pick for Richard Hamilton.

Joe then signs Ben Gordon.

He essentially turns Hamilton and BJ Mullens into Ben Gordon and Hasheem Thabeet, not to mention whatever cap filler we get from Washington to make the deal work.

In this scenario Joe still has money to go after another big to complement his defensive center.

If Trader Joe manages something of that magnitude of slickness I will be a happy camper come draft day.
  7. mikhail1973

Don't know how good this team would be under this scenario, but they'll be exciting to watch, that's for sure.
  8. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I havent crunched the numbers, but if we can afford Gordon in addition to, say, Boozer.

We'd look like this.

Stuckey
    Gordon
    Prince
    Boozer
    Thabeet

Thats if Joe doesn't get with Atlanta and trade Tayshaun for Josh Smith.
    Obviously the opinion of a move like that varies to either side of the spectrum as to whether it would make us better or not, but talk about exciting to watch.
  9. G-man

G-man Starter

10. max

max All-Star

Reading the report on him on NBA Draft. Kind of a Jekyl and Hyde deal on his strengths and weaknesses.

How can someone have "Possesses terrific hands and can catch almost every pass under or around the rim" and be turnover prone?

Part I don't like is the average BBall IQ and poor work ethic.

Better really do the homework on this guy before taking him.

Whoever we get he better be able to play at least a minor role in year 1 as this learning from the bench stuff never seems to workout for us.

Main thing is not to throw this pick away. Worst case scenario should be to at least get a solid backup out of it. Maybe you can't hit a homerun with the #15 pick but you should at least be able to get a player who can contribute.

Either that or trade up as some of the rumors are suggesting.
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

In Joe's words his staff has been putting in long hours for 12 months... Gotta believe there's more than just taking Mullens @ #15... he may not even be on the board for our pick.

What does Flip have to say about N.E. deals with the Pistons?
  12. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Perhaps he would welcome the addition of a player that knows his system but didn't "mess up his desk" on a daily basis.
  13. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

The only reason the Pistons would be looking to trade up would be to get #5 from Washington to send to Toronto along with Amir and whomever else to get...
  14. kcpistonfan

Am I alone in being bothered by this scenario? This in essence means we gave up Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Rip Hamilton, and the 15th pick for Ben Gordon, a rookie center, and one other free agent in a weak market. Not what I had in mind when we decided to rebuild. We traded CB for hopes of getting a player like Wade, Bosh,or Amare. Not an undersized SG, rookie center, and best available center.
  15. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

joe can't get rid of all the vets. that would be ridiculous.
  16. mikhail1973

The money would still be there to sign a top tier FA. At the same time, do you have a better alternative? It's not easy to pull Sheed type trades more than once in a great while. The other teams are weary of being duped and not too many are welcoming trade with Joe.
  17. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

Yeah right...I don't think anyone is worried about being duped after the Billups trade if anything Joe is probably turning down crappy offers left and right.
  18. mikhail1973

This may very well be, but you still haven't offered anything to improve the team.
    :stirthepot:
  19. kcpistonfan

In my opinion, you cannot trade away Billups, Hamilton, and let Sheed walk and come away with that projected lineup. I am as big of a Dumars supporter as you will find. However, I am putting on my shoes and jumping off the JD wagon if we come away with that roster.

I agree the roster needed to be blown up. However, if you trade one of the best PG in the game (and maybe the best playoff PG over the last 12 years) and the best mid-range shooter in the game, you better darn well come back with more than an undersized two guard , a rookie center, and a left over from a weak free agency class.

I also disagree with the notion Dumars will have a hard time finding a trade partner. With the economy in its current condition, 1/3 of the teams are willing to take a huge talent loss to clear up the books. With the amount of draft picks that we have and the cap space we better make something happen.
  20. max

max All-Star

Good points but its also about getting younger. Younger and hungrier.