New Sheriff in Town...Rodney Stuckey

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by armygirl, Jun 3, 2008.

1. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Stuckey doesn't just need the minutes. He needs to be the focal point of the offense. His development has allowed Joe to be as bold as he is. He can trade either Billips or Rip and not really lose anything. Whoever he gets for one of them is a big gain. Yes, there is a risk that Stuckey won't pan out. But the current big 4 won't get us any farther as they lack speed and are getting older as a unit. Some risks are justified.

Since Rip would seem to match better with Stuckey, Billips may be available.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We will be a pretty poor 3-point shooting team if we lose Billups and Sheed.

I would rather lose Rip and let Stuckey and CB spend a little time at the 2 if needed.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problem is, Billups doesn't have much upside, but he is going to keep making more money.

I think that if Joe can get a 4 or a 5 for Billups, he's gone. Stuckey is clearly ready to play NOW. Maybe not more than 30 MPG, but certainly more than 15 MPG.

4. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

I think Joe has to think ahead, and as some have suggested, Joe D. can be faulted for waiting a year too late to make changes that should have been made a year ago, and would have been easier to make a year ago (when players had higher trade value). I have regarded Chauncey as untouchable, but on the basis of longer term considerations maybe he should not be.

5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Stuckey at 30 mpg actually opens time for AA. However, who will be the PG backup?

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Micro, agree with you assessment. The kid has come on fast. He will be a better shooter next year following the normal development of a rookie in the NBA. We lose range not having Billips but overall, how much do we lose if what he showed in the playoffs is real? Yes, it's scary to make the move but their is a big upside. We would get a good player for Billips (assuming it is Billips and not Rip).

Look at it this way. Suppose we keep Rip and Billips. Won't there be dissension as early as next year about who gets key minutes???

And, it is not just a question of playing Stuckey but making him a main player in the offense--changing the offense to suit Stuckey. I could easily envision friction among the guards.

Now, everyone, is the kid really that good????

7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Hot Rod will be fine getting 15-20 CONSISTENT minutesnext year. He will get additional work against weaker competition and blow outs. We have the back-up PG we have been looking for and I think he will bide his time until the team is his.

At some point players have to sacrifice for the good of the team. That is why Joe kept talking about "charactor guys" during his presser.

8. Smoooth

Smoooth First Round Draft Pick

I have faith in Stuckey, but who will back him up if Chauncey is to be traded?

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's funny that at the time, "all we want" is a good backup, because once we get one, we want to trade the starter and start the backup. Poor old Michael Finnegan - begin again!

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That was mostly hot air by JD, he aint giving up his general and second best shooter.
    GGGOOOAAALLL !!!
    So keep dreamin'
    Sheed, Dyess and Rattler might go.

11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Everyone is in play. The Iverson & Anthony experiment is dead, I'd move Billups to Denver for AI in a heartbeat, then I'd package Tayshaun and Dyess and ship them to Mia for Marion.
    AI/Stuckey
    Rip/Stuckey/AA
    Marion/ Rip/ AA
    AJ/ Maxiel
    Sheed/ FA(Diop)/ Samb

Dyess would be the toughest to lose but his contract works out to make the numbers Jive. With a front court of AJ, Sheed and the Matrix, rebounding would no longer be a problem, This lineup is fast and mobile, AI can run the point with the right team and coaching, we'd never have to worry about the team not giving their all on the court, and we'd actually begin to score POINTS IN THE PAINT!!!!!!!!! Although we would have to find some more $$$$$ to go with Billups' contract to make the numbers work.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

That seems pretty good K

13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

14. armygirl

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't remember who wrote the article (some Detroit columnist), but the interesting point was that Dumars envisioned having Stuckey and Billups as a doulble combo guard pairing. The defense wouldn't ever be able to pressure the ball with 2 quality ball handlers out there.

If this is really his vision, then I see Rip being the trade bait and not CB. Rip is a great player, but it is easier to get another scorer than a clutch/ strong/ experienced PG.

16. armygirl

It would even be sweeter if Denver would throw in Kleiza. We would no longer have a backup SG problem.

17. RipBillupsRJC

RipBillupsRJC Second Round Draft Pick

You sure are excitable, AG. Me too. I feel uh changes uh comin'.