1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Next Season moves

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by DeetroitDynasty-e, Aug 31, 2007.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

So your might be saying that JD made a huge mistake and continues to ignore this direction by compounding his lack of insight and in the long run is stabilizing those very obstacles that prevented us from winning the championship last year? So, should we not fire him?

2. ocellatus

ocellatus First Round Draft Pick

Yea, Thats what I was saying Dumars should be fired. :crazy:

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Who would you replace him with? Zeke?

:hoops:

4. pass99

Won't make much difference with this group: the problems begin and always ends with the coach. JD is soon to run out of space. This current team will not listen to any current coach in the league.

I would begin with Stan Whisenant and a young Las Vegas coach.

5. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Here's a good list of all the free agents coming up. Of course, a newer list is probably out there somewhere.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We need a backup for Tay. Here are the options in Free Agency and the Pistons chances at each player

Need a lot of Luck: Shawn Marion

Need a good amount of Luck: Ron Artest, Corey Maggette

Have a good shot if we pursue them: Matt Barnes, Trevor Ariza

7. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

I really haven't seen Ariza play but I've heard good things about him. They were talking about him on Full Court Press about how his defense may cause problems for Allen, Pierce, or even Rondo. Defense would be the main thing we'd be looking for in a backup for Tay. We tried an offensive guy in Jarvis and he would get exploited on defense. Also, at 22 hes young and comes from a good defensive/fundamentals school, UCLA.

8. pass99

Incredible. I can see both you and Roscoe sobbing away as he leaves.

9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Lee,
    Can we get an "honest" assessment of Ariza? I think you used to like his game before he got hurt? Is he a good fit for us? :MusicBigGrin:

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i remember being unimpressed by ariza overall...just impressed at his athleticism

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Ariza would be a good backup 3. My only concern is that he is too similar to our other bench players. He's athletic and likes to run and slash. Not a real outside threat or a great ball handler.

So with Stuckey, Afflalo, Ariza, Amir, and Maxiell, it would have to be a running offense. Having a different identity for the bench would be cool, but I think a guy like Delfino would be better b/c he can run and handle the ball and spread the floor.

12. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

Time we address the Pistons biggest need: Front court REBOUNDING and interior defense.

I should not need to remind everyone how we were man handled in the paint by K Perkins and Co. Sheed will be gone in the off season, or at least by the mid-season trade deadline.

It appears Joe is set on keeping Amir (barring a heavily one sided trade in our favor), and he's high on Maxiel too. Neither is a 5. Maxiel is 6,6 and Amir is a natural 4. So who to man the 5 for the years to come?

Names being thrown around that are not too far-fetched include the following:

1. Emeka Okafor (restricted FA)
    2. DeSagana Diop (unrestricted FA)
    3. Andris Biedrins (restricted FA)

Biedrins maybe the most desirable of the three, though it is hard to envision GS giving him up for anybody on the Piston's roster, and we are over the cap so won't be able to sign him outright. Don Nelson is on record as stating his big objective this coming season is to develop the young guys, versus making the playoffs at all costs like they attempted this season. So I can't see them swinging for the fences and giving up a young stud in Biedrins (plus others to make the salaries work) for a one year loan of Sheed, given the approach GS will be taking this coming season. Then again, if Biedrins takes a one year offer, he will be unrestricted at the end of the 09 season, and given the state of GS's roster, will they be able afford to keep him? The flip side: No team in the league could afford to lose a very solid young big with so much potential.

Will the MLE be enough to sign Diop? Is he a long-term solution at the 5 or the second coming of Nazr?

Okafor for Sheed is mentioned frequently for obvious reasons. But even if MJ&LB are willing partners, will he be enough to handle Dwight Howard (he seems to get eaten alive by Superman when they play, although in fairness so do most bigs) or KG in the playoffs? Maybe the best and only realistic option of the three?

Any other plausible options for front court help this off season or next? What team could use Billups at the point and give up a good 5 in return?

13. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

i am Intrigued by Okafor.

Could he be our finally dominant big man if surrounded by the right blend of talent?

He does have all the physical skills to be a more dominant offensive version of Ben Wallace. Does Joe & co. (coach!) have the skills to bring out his full potential in Piston red,white, and blue?

If Joe can swing a trade that involves Rasheed and..say...tayshaun for Okafor and Gerald Wallace (preferred) or Jason Richardson... I would be likely to have some sort of confidence lookingforward to next year.

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Our weakness is not interior D, it's perimeter. When a team's perimeter defense breaks down it makes the interior D look bad as well. A back up for Tay is needed so that the pistons have more fresh guys on perimeter stars.

15. theWORM

theWORM First Round Draft Pick

I agree that when the perimeter D brakes down, it makes it tough to defend the inside. I thought Flip's quater court trapping schemes in games 1 and 2, and spots throughout the other games, became predictable and was partly to blame. That aside, we were murdered on the defensive glass in the Celtics series.

Maybe I'm focusing on only one round of the playoffs, but hey, you don't advance to the finals by winning most of the rounds. You need to win ALL of them. And Boston is going nowhere next season, except for maybe up, with the improvement of Big Baby, Powe, Rondo, and the MLE to spend.

And given Joe's recent comments, Sheed is a goner. While his rebounding effort was inconsistent, he was easily one of the best on ball and help defenders at his position in the league. Subtract Sheed from next season and our defensive rebounding and interior D against the elite of the East goes from suspect to atrocious. Even WITH Sheed, our defensive rebounding was the difference between winning and losing to the Cs.

Although Joe said he is not looking at any particular position, but rather a good player with the qualities he desires, it is obvious with the commitment to Amir, and possibly Maxiel, without getting back a solid C in one or more trades (regardless of who we have to give up) or via the MLE, there will be no return to the ECFs.

16. Tha Locstah

Tha Locstah First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

1st off, we have no shot at landing Howard or Duncan. Orlando and SA will never let them go. I agree with you on Brand, Marion, Deng and maybe even Martin. However, I don't like Gordon. He is a good player but I don't believe he is a right fit for our team. I'd rather keep RIP.

17. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I am not so sure that Joe was talking about Sheed. Tay fit the bill for a lot of Joe's comments. I think Tay is gone and we get a 3 that can score more consistently.

I think "trick" defenses are going to be more the norm in stopping perimeter players in the coming years. The new rules do not allow for one-on-one perimeter defense. Tay will be moved for a scorer and Walter will be kept as the back up and given a legitmate shot to compete.

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

So it's been reported MIA is likely looking to move the 2nd pick, and they are looking for a experienced PG.

Billups + ?? (Maybe Max) = Beasley.

Helps our frontcourt problem.

Sheed/Beasley/Stuckey/Rip/Tay

We get infinitely more athlethic and our big men bench would be Amir/Dice/big guy who plays sparingly

G's Rip/Stuck/AA/? not Linds

SF Tay/ (maybe look at Magette and see what you can do, he doesn't get along with Dunleavy, and i'm not sure about his contract status).

Ariza is awesome, and IMO there is no way the Lakers give him up.

Now if only we can convince Riley to do this deal.

Also from a money standpoint; we have sheed coming off the books, and 3 players on rookie salaries.

19. DeetroitDynasty-e

DeetroitDynasty-e First Round Draft Pick

How about Josh Childress to backup Tay? Throw the full mid-level at him... ATL can only keep one of Childress/Josh Smith. What other teams would go after Childress and what kind of cap space would they have?

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Why'd you list Amir twice?