1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Next Season's Roster After The Summer of Lebron

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, May 8, 2010.

1. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

It may be early, but its time to make a roster projection for next year.

Now that the season is over, we do know about:
    - The pistons salaries
    - The cap
    - And who's available

As far as the draft goes, we know they will either:
    - Get VERY lucky in the lottery and get Wall, Couzins, or Favors,
    - Stay at 7 and get whats available there.

We also know about the current roster:
    - Who needs to stay
    - and who needs to go.

While this is probably the most realistic scenario, the roster I hope we will have is

1. Chris Bosh (via sign and trade for rip and wilcox)
    2. Tay
    3. Gordon
    4. Villanueva
    5. Brendan Haywood (MLE)
    6. Maxiell
    7. Bynum
    8. Stuckey
    9. Monroe
    10. Daye
    11. Atkins
    12. Wallace
    13. Jerebko
    14. Summers
    15. Empty (the other draft pick gets traded)

Does that seem realistic? If not post your ideas below.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

3. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Given the opportunities available out there for Chris Bosh, I can't imagine the Pistons even being on his radar. I suppose I wouldn't mind it, but that team doesn't really impress more than the current Raptors, even as just a dream scenario.

I think the realistic expectation for this team is some kind of Rip or Tayshaun trade, Ben Gordon still not being worth his contract, and another appearance from Joe Dumars at the draft lottery. Wouldn't be surprised if we added some veteran big man free agent. No one special, just someone decent. A player like an Erick Dampier.

After the last free agent period and the lack of moves made over the last few seasons I have no idea what to expect from a Joe Dumars team. I just hope he realizes that overpaying complementary players serves no purpose with a roster with no one worthy of complementing. I wish I could have a more positive outlook on the future of this roster for next year, but I think our fortune ties too closely to the success of our draft pick. I'm hoping the cap room around the league allows us to get rid of someone like Rip (or Ben Gordon if that were possible).

4. max

max All-Star

Nice post.

It would be nice to get Haywood. Once good thing is that Kwame and Wilcox's contracts run up.

One thing that has to be solved is this whole Rip/BG thing. Get rid of one of those 2 and the cap situation is really not that bad. BG just had surgery which proves that he was never 100% so that is encouraging going forward. So Move Rip and we should be good, but how?

Another thing that really hurt us was that little winning streak to close out the season. Because now we are going to have to find front court help the hard way - through trades or FA's ( where we no longer have the CS). Drafting Cousins or Favors would have made things a lot easier.

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

With young (and untried learning curves) bigs from the draft you are looking out 2-3 years. Add more transitions and you have a long curve out of the playoffs approaching 4 years. With the economy going down further, this is a bad reinforcement for the Pistons.

Option 1...Trade Rip and Summers for the Timberwolves Jefferson. You are exchanging contracts, but each team gets something.

The Wolves need to starting developing Love and he will continually bump up against Jefferson who is only fours years older. Love needs to start and to find some leadership qualities. Jefferson is unhappy and needs to be moved to a team where his talent brings stability. The Wolves need wing movement and consistent scoring. They get the latter with Rip and Summers can find some potential placement in spotting up the ever-injured Brewer.

If these teams want forward movement in a big way, then you can add Tay into the mixture for some wholesale moves or perhaps a third-party combination.

6. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

If we could add a player like Al Jefferson and only spare Rip and Summers, I really believe a quicker path to relevance would emerge. That deal is worth almost two moves. A quality young big man in a conference where Al Horford was an All Star is a great advantage. We can worry about his unwillingness to pass out the post and his defense later.

Would you all agree sorting out the Rip/Gordon logjam is the most important situation that needs to be resolved this offseason?

7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't see how acquiring Rip Hamilton helps the Timberwolves at all unless Jefferson is peeing in the other players cars during practice. To me Rip can only be traded to the small handful of contending teams which will limit what the Pistons can get back for him. It makes no sense for the Pacers to get him.

It is fair to say that Gordon was not 100% last year and that it did not allow him to play up to his ability. I think it is also fair to question if he can be a starter (on a good team) when he's come off the bench for the majority of his career. One of the only certainties we have is that there is not 30 minutes of playing time to be had off the bench here as there was for him in Chicago.

When you add the 2 up it does not paint a pretty picture. Who knows how much damage Joe D's search for the next Vinnie Johnson will inflict? We are 1 season down dreaming about Larry Wilcox's lucrative expiring deal (just like we were with Kwame's) and talking about adding Brendan Haywood or Erick Dampier. (Why they would sign the MLE with the Pistons instead of a contender is anyone's guess.)

GULP!

8. max

max All-Star

That's exactly what he is going to have to do - exchange a bad contract for a bad contract at another position so we can at least not have 2 high min SG's stepping over each other.

Same way we used to sign players back in the 90's - have the highest offer on the table. Players also come for the promise of more mins which they may not find on a contending team.

9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The MLE is the MLE, how can they offer more money?

Players do come for the $$ and the minutes over signing with a contending team as you say. Charlie Villanueva comes to mind.

(I was reading the expected cap stuff that someone drew up - nice job by the way - and is it possible for the Pistons to come in slightly under the cap and not have the MLE at all?)

10. tads

I was wondering if CV31 can twitter some direct messages to Bosh about how awesome D'twa is and the raptors wouldn't need to replace bosh because of that promising athletic player Johnson they had playing this year.

The lack of moves on Joe's part are annoying, but I think it is part of a rebuilding plan that does not involve superstars. If you build around one guy, you're screwed if he leaves (e.g. for Orlando in a sign and trade).

Instead we need to create a team. But, to have a team we can't have huge player turnover every season, then we'll be the Clippers. We kind of have to get the most we can with what we have, slowly adding players and excising bad ones. While we may not have an all-star for 3 or 4 years, we will have a great deal of quality complementary players, which will make us a good trade partner.

Then, when we have a team who knows how to play together, a trade for a super star could lead to instant success because there is only one new person, everybody else is used to working together and winning together.

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think that the one team that would be interested in a player like Rip is wherever LeBron ends up. Cavs use the give-LeBron-the-ball-at-the-top-of-the-key-and-watch-him-make-something-happen offense a lot. At that point the entire opposing team is nervous and focused on LeBron. When someone makes a cut, it wreaks havoc and the defense falls apart, either someone hits an open jumper or the lane opens up for LeBron. When they do that, the Cavs become a deadly team. However, more often than not, the Cavs players just stand around and watch. If you had Rip running around screens like a posessed man while LeBron has the ball, the defense can never recover.

PS: Good stuff tads.

12. pass99

This is going to naturally happen and it makes no sense to panic, especially since many low level playoff teams are searching for a solid 18 ft shooter who has playoff experience. And please, his contract is not unmovable.

What needs to be avoided is giving both Rip and Tay together. Each has certain combinations that other teams need. JD will need to extra value from each as singular trades. No need to panic. Tay gives you an extra long look because of his expiring contract. Next year is another transition year and I would play hardball until Winter 2011.

13. pass99

How about throwing-up in the club house swimming pool?

14. monrams99

monrams99 First Round Draft Pick

are we still optimistic of having the tweeter admin CV? You guys know I am not a stuckey fan but c'mon CV should be dealth

15. pass99

There is talent...then there is talent and personality (sometime aversely associated with leadership). Some also like to use the word, "chemistry."

Here is a clue about CV. Last year before stepping out on the floor as a Piston, he acknowledged that he would not mind coming off the bench. This is not a good sign. No volcano here and perhaps his personality is a likable reflection of surface acquiesce that one can do nothing about. Perhaps it is the absence of eyebrows. At a side-ward glance, one catches a glimpse of Boozer...those shifting dark eyes. Fault lines traveling along his every, non-visible hair follicle. Yea, it must be those eyebrows.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm crying from laughing.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One guys scowls, lift weights, and screws over blind guys on gentlemen's agreements while the other wears orthodics, tweets guarantees that he has no intention of standing behind, and benches himself.

Oy.

18. tads

It is a problem for CV to say he is really happy coming off the bench. Some guys play basketball to win. Perhaps CV is happy being second fiddle, or just biding his time until he can become full-time tweeter.

Also a problem is our other terminally benched "big" man, Maxiel, who will probably never become a starter.

Jerebko had an amazing first year, but you have to put him in the category of either Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, Antawn Jamison, Amare Stoudemire or Rashard Lewis if we expect to still be playing past the second round of the playoffs.

So unless something amazing happens, none of our current bigs will be leading us into battle when we are looking to start a playoff run in 2-3 years. Am I wrong?

19. pass99

Absolutely. In our exchange system, you indeed know what you are getting from the get-go. No pretense there.

Again, absolutely.

Much depends on the struggles you take away from the mountain tops and the valleys. But what is honesty?

Instead of asking whether you are honest or a liar, ask how you might become more honest. The answer: by raising your standards and by cultivating the habits of honesty---developing a keen intellectual conscience. And what does that involve? Intellectual imagination, carefulness, conscientiousness, scrupulousness---making one's beliefs and statements matters of conscience. The man who lacks such habits may be honest---but not very. He has low standards of honesty.

...One might similarly distinguish physical and moral honesty, though these terms do not not matter: the former concerns audible or visible statements only; the latter, a triumph over self-deception. Again, there are some people who possess the physical variety but lack the moral: they make no false statements, but they are not honest with themselves.

The man who lacks courage, even if "only" moral courage, is afraid of getting hurt. His friends may prefer to call him prudent. A man who does not want to know the truth and deceives himself may also be called prudent by some, but he lacks honesty, even if "only" moral honesty. He probably also lacks courage and is afraid of being hurt. And the man who lacks moral courage is usually deficient in honesty, subordinating his regard for truth to his interest in popularity. Moral courage and more honest are twins, but they are not inseparable, and the trained eye can tell them apart. One may be wonderfully honest with oneself and know that one lacks the moral courage to speak out boldly. And another man may have moral courage but may yet be lax in matters of beliefs. Moral honesty is ever rarer than more courage.

The Faith of a Heretic, Walter Kaufmannn, Doubleday Anchor Books, N.Y., 1963.

20. pass99

Probably not, although I think you might have some more comments about JMax's situation.