Next Season's Roster After The Summer of Lebron

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, May 8, 2010.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

We need one exceptional PF, a defensive minded center and an above average swingman as our starters.

Off the bench, we need an above average SF, a serviceable 3/4 combo and a couple more bigs that can play 4/5.

IMO, currently we have:

STARTERS:
    Above average SF: JJ
    Star PF: <empty>
    Defensive C: <empty>*

BENCH:
    Above average SF: Daye
    Serviceable 3/4 combo: CV
    Big #1: JMax
    Big #2: <empty>

* Currently we have Big Ben, but he won't last until we're ready for a renewed push at greatness.

This is assuming Prince is gone. We need two decent centers and a great PF. Withouth top quality bigs, we may get deep in the playoffs, but can't get over the hump.

We may be able to fill the Big#2 spot on the bench through the draft. We'll need to somehow use Rip and Tay to buy a star PF and a starting center. Tall order.

2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Outstanding!

3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I like it Tads, however, would use the second rounder on grievious vasquez. If we somehow stay with the projected 7th pick, we could do no worse than passing big man himself, Greg Monroe.

4. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I can't help thinking about Evans, he will be one sick unstoppable player in the NBA, the only problem, we have so many swingmen. It's unrealistic to think that Evans will drop to 7, if he does, I would grab him based on the best player available concept.

We will then have to package these swing players and boot them off to some other team.

Rip and Tay may end up in Denver and Utah in that order. We get Nene in return, one big situation solved.

I expect a lot of new faces in the lineup this year.

5. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

It would be nice to have a big man that can deliver some assists to all of our cutting guards, and Monroe seems ready to start playing soon. But the second rounder would be pretty valuable to these teams who have to create rosters out of nothing after they blow all their capspace on Joe Johnson (or something similar), and are in the need of new fresh talent.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This is risky (not to mention borderline sacrilegious), but if they could get a good young player, some cap space and unload some of their rougher contracts then I would do it.

Trading Rodney Stuckey could brighten Pistons' future | detnews.com | The Detroit News

7. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is old news to most of us. Right now there is little clarity on what directions will present themselves for JD. Certainly in a couple of days, some things will be aligning themselves. A couple of factors shades JD's opinion of moving Stuckey:
    • His ego
    • Stuckey is a bargain
    • If they can't come up with a PG, then Stuckey and Gordon share the roles.
    • Stuckey will be playing hard for his contract next year.
    • If Stuckey is successful next season, then his value will increase and he becomes a broader S/T chip.

8. Brap

Brap Starter

I agree with this:

Joel (Marquette, Mich.): Am I missing something? Why does it seem everyone wants to trade Rodney Stuckey? He was easily our best player this year and has shown great improvement every year. I expect the same next year. He gives the team lots of flexibility with his size and ability to play off the ball, as well. Why does everyone just dismiss his skill as a point guard just because he’s not a natural point guard?
    Langlois: Year four is probably the crossroads season for Stuckey, Joel. There are legitimate reasons to explain why he’s had periods of ineffectiveness over the last two seasons – three coaches in three years, the dysfunction that spun out of the Hamilton-Iverson experiment, the constant instability forced by injuries last season. Next year at least promises to provide him his best environment and best shot at a breakthrough season. I’d be resistant to trade offers for him, while not closing any doors, because I still think Stuckey has a shot to be for the Pistons what Derrick Rose is for Chicago or Russell Westbrook for Oklahoma City. Big, big year for Stuckey coming up.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't see anything particularly special about Stuckey.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey, Rose and Westbrook are all bigger, stronger pg's.

Rose and Westbrook have played the point all their lives.

Rose and Westbrook have speed and athleticism that allows them kick it to another gear and blow by people.

I'm not sure what we are supposed to be waiting for.

11. Brap

Brap Starter

The massive underrating of Stuckey's physical and BB abilities is a rampant disease on these forums.

He's bigger and stronger than Westbrook and Rose and nearly as fast. None of those guys are natural pure PG's, although Rose is moreso than the other two.

I think the biggest thing people don't give Stuckey his due about is his basketball IQ. If you accepted what posters here say about him, you'd think he was a selfish and dumb player out on the court. I think that's just crazy analysis, that refuses to take injuries to him and the team, and the team's dysfunction into proper account.

The problem he has to deal with is the massive transition the team is still going through. In the next season and one after that, the team will be going through massive changes and adjustments. Who are the scorers and who are the faciliators and role players, and who will handle the ball and initiate the offense? Who will take the key shots? Hell, who will be in the lineups at the end of the games? How fast can the Daye's, JJ's , Summers be acclimated, not to mention the #1 pick this year? How the hell will Gordon and Rip coexist? When Rip and Tay are in there, does the team, idiotically, go right back to the slow pace that the team played in the glory days? When we get rid of them, will the growing pains start all over again?

That's the environment that all of our guys are going to have to adapt to. Stuckey might be a fine talent on a team that won't have sorted this stuff out sufficiently and that state of chaos may well last another couple of seasons. And guys like Stuckey won't necessarily show up well in that chaos.

I think the predominant concerns we'll have next season is who we can pick up with our lottery pick in 2011, and who of the young guys will emerge as core players for us going forward, and which of the guys we can trade to support our long term vision.

It's going to be unbelievably messy.

12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

All Pistons championship teams have had reliable, top-notch point guards that fit the role perfectly. We fans tend to expect a more classicly built roster to take us to the promised land, and that starts with a pure PG. Anything other than that is not easily conceived as a path to ultimate success.

Everybody agrees that Stuckey isn't a pure PG, and almost everybody agrees that he's a decent player. However, not having the type of player that we're accustomed to have at the #1 guard spot leads us to not have faith that the formula in front of us will lead to a 4th trophy. The road ahead is not clear and it pushes us out of our comfort zone. Subconsciously we may perceive Stuckey's presence as a roadblock on the way to the ultimate prize.

13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I don't feel that Stuck has been "underrated" on this forum at all. I think he's about where he should be as far as "casual internet fan acceptance" goes. A couple of years ago, you could log on to this board at any time of the day and read numerous posts that "anointed" the Super Collider as THE next all-star Piston PG. I never drank that Kool aid. Instead, I took the old wait-&-see approach.

...I'm still waiting and I have yet to see any signs that he's a lock to rep the East in an Allstar game or lead a team deep in the playoffs. To me, dude is just another 2nd tier starting PG with a grip of potential. Could he be a top-5 PG in the association? Yeah... sure. But I think that if you asked him he'd tell you himself that he's got a long road ahead of him before he gets to that level. He's got the advantage of having size and some awesome physical tools to work with though - you mos-def gotta give 'em dat!

Rodney Stuckey isn't a "selfish or dumb" player. In fact, I can't EVER remember anyone calling him selfish in this forum. His basketball IQ can be questioned at times though. I see him make some good heady plays sometimes. Other times, I see him playing the point like a combo-guard; putting his head down and bull-dozing his way to the rack in true-blue Super Collider fashion. Driving into the teeth of the defense with your head down isn't smart basketball. Even IF Joe surrounded Stuck with some capable shooters for him to kick it out to, he wouldn't be able to find them due to the fact that his head is down. I played PG in high school and used to get benched for doing this exact same thing.

I root for Stuckey. I really WANT him to succeed and I think that he has the potential to become a damn good PG if he'd stop playing the position like a 2-guard.

14. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

:p_welldone: :p_welldone:

15. roscoe36

Rampant disease?

You mean the weakest part of his game?

When has he been labeled selfish? Dumb, certainly.

Why would injuries reduce his bball IQ? Why would the team's dysfunction reduce his bball IQ? Wouldn't he stand out on a team where the better players are injured, as the guy with the most bball IQ, if he has as much as you claim he does?

Occasionally, you have a guy who is stuck in a bad situation, and you can see his obvious pedigree if he was placed in the right conditions with the right talent around him. Stuckey is not that guy. He's at best a B player, on a team needing an A player. Hopefully we find that A player in this draft, because it ain't Stuckey or Hamilton, Prince or Daye.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Stuckey can be the best off the bench combo guard in the entire NBA, I think he can do for us what Jamal Crawford did for the Hawks. I mean all these things as sincere compliments.

17. roscoe36

Crawford has a J.

18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Touche

19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Searching for the &quot;D&quot; in Detroit
    Only sometimes. Crawford is actually a worse career shooter than Stuckey (he makes a lot of threes, but not at a great percentage).

20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Jamal Crawford's career eFG is .475
    ... about 200 players are in between...
    Stuck's is .426

No comparison. Stuck takes almost 40% of his shots in the paint and Crawford takes about 18% in the paint.

If Crawford retired right now and Stuckey continued to hit 3-pointers at his current rate, Stuckey would surpass Crawford's career 3-point total in the year 2086.