Next Season's Roster After The Summer of Lebron

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, May 8, 2010.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

correct me if I am wrong... but this time we would have to send an additional 1.8 million to washington... so is it worth us to not only take on a huge salary for the next 4 year, but give up on Daye? (only person from detroit I saw that would balance it out).

If... it was a one for one trade with not a crazy stupid contract, I agree it would be an interesting 3 man backcourt.... I might start Stuckey over Gordon but that would sort itself out over time.

HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Washington Wizards[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2013/14[/FONT]
    HoopsHype - NBA Salaries - Detroit Pistons

Rip's contract actaually will be alot nicer to have to deal with in a couple years compared to Arenas's..... talk about a bad bad contract.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Right now Rip for Gilbert straight up would work because both teams are under the cap. But Rip+Wilcox works out quite nicely.

An NBA player is considered to be in his prime between the age of 26-32, Gil's contract ends while he's still in his prime, like Chauncey, he'll play quite well in his 30's because his game isn't predicated on speed and athleticism, but rather shooting, strength and savvy.

Tay and the 7th for ALJeff, Rip and Wilcox for Arenas. That would give us a really good team.
  3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

ok i guess maybe because they don't have the new cap numbers into the trade machine NBA Trade Machine - ESPN is why it says the trade is a no go.

Unless its a Kobe or James (and I myself still wouldn't pay that much for James unless he finds a glutch gene somewhere) I won't pay anyplayer on the team 20 plus a million where the cap is 60 rougly a year. One player nearing the end of his Prime (if he truely has recovered from his injury) making 1/3 of your whole salary cap.... your just asking for 1 star and a whole bunch of bums....
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Thank you!
  5. Walter

Maybe on paper. Arenas' talent isn't what I question. It's his attitude and his commitment to success. The guy's a clown and he's wrapped up in that. In the same mold as Dwight Howard. You won't be able to unload him if he doesn't work out. It's an extremely extremely risky move.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I don't see the problem with his attitude, he's one helluva a competitor. He reminds me of Paul Pierce, in th sense that he isn't a 1st tier superstar, but he will go nose to nose with the best of them and never back down or bat an eye and hold he will hold his own against the best of the best in the league.

Is it a risky move........YUP! Could it blow up in our face........YUP! Could it set us back another 3-5 years.......YUP! Would I do it.......YUP! 22 & 7.......how many PG's in the league are getting you those numbers?
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm a bit worried about his health issues. Knee injuries always worry me and often haunts people through their careers.
  8. Gordoneuva

Gordoneuva Second Round Draft Pick

I have always had a soft spot for Gilbert. I would do it too, to rid ourselves of Rip. I would throw in Daye or Jerebko and demand Javale back in return. Though I would not turn around and trade for Jefferson, I would keep 7 and try to trade Tay for a cheaper return haul. Maybe package Stuckey with him.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'll skip the points that I agree with you on, as there were quite a few.

As far as the usage argument, he shot almost exactly the same percentage this year as he did in his rookie year, when he was coming off the bench.

His low assisted numbers tell me that he doesn't move the ball and therefore never gets easy buckets when it's returned to him. He either passes the ball to someone covered, or he forces it himself. The reason Rip has so many assists (and turnovers) is that Stuckey routinely dumps the ball off to him and Rip has to be the playmaker... which he's OK at, but has a terribly high dribble.

33% of his shots are taken in the last 42% of the shot clock? That's less than what you would expect. This would actually indicate that he shoots too early.

And as far as the coach, Flip Saunders, Michael Curry, and John Kuester have all failed to put game plans in place that allowed Stuckey to be in the top 300 shooters in the league? The point guard should take the blame for any player not getting open shots, especially himself.

I'm arguing too much against him now and I'm feeling the urge to defend him. So, I guess if I HAD to defend him, I'd just stand with my heels outside the circle and wait for the charge or the brick.
    :hoops:
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Good one. I think once he put his head down I get my 4 teammates to line up in a row with our hands over our groins like they do in soccer.
  11. Walter

I fail to see what's so alluring about trading away a bad contract for a much worse contract. Please spare me the but-he's-oh-such-a-great-playa argument. Arenas hasn't done squat since he signed his new bloated contract with the Wiz.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He's been hurt, in his last healthy season (played 74 games) he avg'd 28ppg and 6apg. This last season, through 32 games, he was healthy, but he was struggling to get his game on track, and he still avg'd 22 and 7. Don't sleep GILBERT CAN PLAY!!!! Personal feelings and ill sentiments aside, when healthy he's one helluva ball player! And he's still only 28 years old! He's 28 and healthy, and while he may not be a classic PG, he's a better PG than Rodney Stuckey.
  13. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

:pound:

...Super Collider.
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Last night Ray Allen and Pierce combined to shoot 4-100 or so but Rondo still managed to get 8 assists. That seems to deflate the Stuckey's teammates are letting him down by not hitting their jumpers argument that was routinely floated last year.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I like Rodney Stuckey. The guy can play, he does some things that a team needs in order to be a winning team. But The Fan Club can keep waiting for him to be a PG if they want to, after this last season I can not for the life of me figure out what folks see this guy that make them think he'll ever be the starting PG for a contender. Waiting for Stuckey to show and prove he can or will be a good PG is like waiting for your aunt to grow a pair so you can call her your uncle.
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Hiyo!!:pound:
  17. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'd love nothing more than to see "Supe" come back from the summer break and be a freaking Deron Williams clone.

...I sure as heck don't hate the guy.
  18. Walter

Stuck can probably be the starting PG for the Lakers or Cavaliers. We can win the title with Stuck running the point. We just need to sign a Kobe.
  19. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'll get right on it.
  20. Gordoneuva

Gordoneuva Second Round Draft Pick

I understand that POV, I really do. Couple reasons for Gilbert, and I won't mention, per your request, that he is a good player capable of 24/7 with a couple steals and a couple 3's a game....

1. Not worried about the fact he's a dumbass
    2. I am worried a bit about his injuries but..
    3. I don't think his past injuries are an automatic reason for future dismissal, he can stay healthy like McDyess did.
    4. Sadly, I can't think of any cap situation/talent issue that needs to gamble more than Detroit's. Rip has value, but not to us.
    5. Gilbert is a talented enough SG to play at PG and still have success. I feel Stuckey is not.
    6. I honestly feel Kue can get more out him than the Wash/GS scenarios he was in. In a structured enviroment with accountability, he can be a better all around player, take less shots, shoot higher percentages and maybe, just maybe, play some consistent on ball D.

Either that or he will pout and be a massive failure when held accountable, but I'd rather not go down that route!