Next Season's Roster After The Summer of Lebron

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by tads, May 8, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The problem is, Dumars believes in Stuckey more than all of the pro-Stuckey guys on this forum combined.

I can't see Dumars doing anything with the PG position this year. For him to give up on Stuckey or move him to another position would be a big admission that the Billups trade was premature, and Joe is not very quick or candid about rectifying mistakes.

2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

20 years ago this would have been a great trade.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

In terms of having bigger problems that our PG position, this stat would dispute that:

In terms of PER, here is how we rank by position:
    #1- SG with a PER of 16.9
    #2- PF with a PER of 16.4
    #3- C with a PER of 16.2
    #4- SF with a PER of 15.3
    #5- PG with a PER of 14.8

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Well that certainly puts some pressure on the "teammates aren't good enough" argument.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Keep in mind that Chuckey Atkins, Will Bynum, and a small bit of Ben Gordon are in that stat too.

And Stuckey showed up in the SG category a lot, as he should have.

It's just saying that overall, PG is our weakest position based on PER.

I'd say that Stuckey would make a fantastic backup combo guard because he can play both positions. He's make an OK starting off guard, but I'd hate to call him a shooting guard.

6. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

As a Pro-Stuckey guy, it seems to me that Joe and our coaches may have created a monster.

In the past 3 seasons Stuckey has gone from the instant offense off the bench, into a possesion-swallowing, FGA machine.

Stuckey is in some pretty terrible company. How did he get here though? And can he avoid ending up like the rest of this list (title-less, except MJ)

This happened because the team had no offensive pattern to speak of. For the past year and a half or so, Stuckey was called upon to dribble the ball up and pass to either tayshaun or rip, if they were not open then he had to 'create' and no one would stop him. While it won us some games, it stopped us from really deciding how best to use him. If next season starts and we still haven't figured out we need to develop Stuckey, he'll come out doing more of the same and Stuckey becomes the next Larry Hughes.

If the coaches want to keep their jobs, they are probably going through the tapes now and coming to the same realizations that we are. This means that they will arrive in November with a new game plan, and we will see pretty soon if Rodney really is the monster that some say he is. If he has only became the monster because our situation allowed him to, there will be a new emphasis to push him out of his comfort zone, and we'll see visible struggles as he works towards becoming a more team oriented point guard. If he is willing to work hard and become something else, then maybe he has a chance to escape the destiny of those players on that list.

7. VJ15

VJ15 Second Round Draft Pick

Without a low post option there isn't a point guard on the planet thats going to look good .

8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm so sick of hearing this Low Post player nonsense. There arevery few Low Post players left in the league. The 1st team AllNBA center, SUCKS in the post. What we need is a big who can catch and finish in traffic, rebound in traffic and go back up and convert And-1's in traffic. The Big low post player is becoming extinct.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Alas, seems to be true.

The new starting five...

PG - option 1: bruiser, option 2: quicker than you
    Long range shooter
    Bigger long range shooter
    Dunker (some teams prefer even bigger long range shooter)
    Shot blocker

The new post up is facing up your man within ten feet of the basket.

10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

is it possible to reach to somwhere middle ground in stuckey's case?

For me jury is still out there.

11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Don't get all concilliatory on us.

12. tads

Or the bigs hang out at the three point line so that the bruiser point guards can post their men up in the paint. It is kind of backwards, but I think that is what the rule changes created. Then again, the celtics, the lakers, and the spurs all have guys who can score with the their back to the basket, and that's whose won championships lately. Their players can also hit shots from 20 feet away, and don't NEED to be posted on the block to be effective.

13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I honestly have no response for people who think Stuckey is a "possession-swallowing FGA attempt machine".

Try watching the games for once. Stuckey wasn't even the first, second or third option on the floor when most of his teammates were healthy. What, should Stuckey get less touches than Chris Wilcox and Big Ben too? Where does he fall on the totem pole?

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Lakers - Gasol and Bynum, both a rare exceptions to the rule these days.

Bos - KG, c'mon, we all know he's the poster child for the face up big man, while he can score with his back to the basket, it's not his most favorite move.

SA- Tim Duncan, last of a dying breed.

15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I feel you. I think he's a very good basketball player. In hindsight, we never should have moved Billups and tinkered with the backcourt. A three guard rotation of Billups, Stuckey and Hamilton would have been a force to reckon with.

16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey played 34% of the team's minutes at the two guard, 21% at the point and 6% at the small forward.

(Min represents the percentage of the team's total minutes the player was at that position)

Stuckey posted an 18.3 PER at the shooting guard spot, an 18.2 PER at the point and a 10.8 PER in his limited minutes at the small forward spot.

Safe to say that Stuckey wasn't the cause of the point guard spot being the worst on the team (PER wise)...? I think so. Stuckey didn't even play the majority of his minutes at the point. And if you're a huge PER believer (and I, for one, am NOT), Stuckey was quite productive at both guard spots. It's his minutes at small forward that drag his overall numbers down.

Okay, I'm done being you for today. LOL

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like it! Excellent points.

Atkins' 9.4 PER didn't help the position excel.

In terms of Stuckey, he did shoot at eFG of .439 at the SG position and .388 at the PG spot. This would indicate that he may have forced less shots when someone else got things moving.

Also of note, Stuckey's opponent at both the PG and SG spots were held to a lower PER than him while he was in the game... meaning that he was playing good man to man defense.

One strange thing I noticed is that Ben Wallace's counterpart did amazingly well against Ben. He did play all of his mintues at the C position where he is undersized... and he is only 6'6"ish going against 7 footers... but other indications say that he had a ridiculously good defensive year. Maybe most of his effect was on the help front.

18. tads

It may sound weird, but I was trying to defend Stuckey with that post and the statistics that support it. Given his high USG and low FG%, he can be placed in the same company as such possession-swallowers as allen iverson, and brandon jennings. Many will argue that this is why he may never be a franchise point guard.

I am saying that while the stats do line up, it is possible Stuckey is only in this situation because of what we asked him to do. Many who complain should wait until the end of this season before deciding.

My bet is that at the end of the season we will see that he is not the monster that I portrayed, and that he will beat back the negativity that he has been receiving of late.

Why he is spending his summer boxing instead of shooting 3's is beyond me.

19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

To help improve his conditioning, which besides his jump shot and decision making, was probably the most talked about topic regarding Rodney Stuckey last season.

I'm sure Stuckey is shooting plenty of jumpers.

20. Brap

Brap Starter

Boxing training is incredible for eye-hand coordination, as well as being a hell of a workout.

I know these things because I've seen pictures of boxers being all-sweaty.