NFL 2007 Draft Talk

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Jan 1, 2007.

1. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, the Lions real season can now officially start.

The draft positions of the non-playoff teams were announced today.

NFL.com - NFL News

With the 2nd pick in the 2007 draft, the Detroit Lions select....

I have 3 questions for you:
    1. What will the Lions do with the #2 overall pick?
    2. What should the Lions do with the #2 overall pick?
    3. What positions do you think the Lions will draft with their top 3 picks?

Your thoughts?
  2. jammertime

Well here's some good sounding news. Of course, nothing is official until draft day, but it looks like the Lions aren't interested in drafting a QB, RB or WR!!!

MLive.com: Kowalski on WDFN: Early draft discussion, optimistic Kevin Jones prognosis
  3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

That is good to hear... but why in the heck would the Lions fill in a reporter what they are planning on doing (unless planting false seeds)?
  4. tdfast

tdfast Second Round Draft Pick

I can't imagine them taking CJ or Quinn off their board. They'll take either Quinn, CJ or Adams, I think in that order.
  5. jammertime

I hope they don't take a QB or RB in the first round, I don't care who it is.

Thomas or CJ at #2, otherwise try to trade down a spot or two (Cleveland @3 or Tampa @4) and grab Gaines Adams. Then use the additional picks to try and trade back up into the 1st and grab Patrick Willis.

That might be a bit too hopeful though. Willis is projected to go around 10-15.

The best scenario is for Oakland to take Russell. That makes Quinn more desireable to teams to trade up for and it still keeps the top O-lineman and WR on the board for teams to want to move up and grab. If CJ goes first, teams looking for a QB know that they can bypass the Lions and still get a highly rated QB. I think that the team that drafts after the team that grabs the first QB will have the most bargaining power, IMO.
  6. tdfast

tdfast Second Round Draft Pick

If Russell goes #1 that leaves Detroit in a sweet spot. With CJ and Quinn there, the phone will be going crazy. I still think they pass on trades and take Quinn. If all the WR busts haven't soured them on taking CJ then the Harrington mess doesn't deter them from taking Quinn and QB is 10 times the need WR is.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Lions will look for their draft picks at "Odd Lots".............
    They need some "Big Uglies" drafted for blocking............
    Thomas and Willis are WINNERS..................
    Russell and Peterson are POTENTIALS..................
    Calvin J. and Quinn are YIKES .......................
    Hope they trade down to collect additional picks.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

If Millen does trade the 2 and get another pick he'll package it to get another 1st rounder. Instead of drafting correctly. I'll take an Olineman then DE. As I said before draft WRs and convert them to CBs.
  9. jammertime

I think that the only times Millen hasn't screwed up is in trades. He traded down and then back up a couple of years ago to get Roy Williams and Kevin Jones in the first round. I like the Bly trade too.
  10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Quinn clearly wants to go to Cleveland so I say let him go there. Don't draft him, Detroit. Besides, what's wrong with Kitna? Didn't he throw for a crapload of yards last season? Like Nemo says, they need people to block. Football is controlled at the line of scrimmage. Everybody seems to understand this except for Millen.

I think what will happen is the Lions trade the pick and draft a little lower -- this way they get two players (one from the trade) and the draft pick.

Whatever the Lions end up doing, I'm confident it will be the wrong move.
  11. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

No, a DE is the biggest need. Not an OLineman that high. Edwards is not an everydown DE. DeVries is only a sub and never has been a starter. As time rolls on toward the draft, it's looking more like it's more in our favor how it will go now
  12. jammertime

I'm a bit worried about Gaines Adams. I've never seem him play, but from what I've been hearing from some of the "experts", he might not be an every down guy himself. Actually, he sounds like an Edwards clone. A bit undersized. Relies on his speed. Has a tendancy to give up on the play if his first move doesn't work.
  13. jammertime

14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

McCown is not going to play as long as Kitna is healthy. So why not get something for him. Danny-O has been in the system just as long so I don't see the big deal in letting McCown go. The truth is this team is crap and is not going to be good for a long long time so not one player is going to make or break us.
  15. Ozarkruffrider

Actually, you're wrong there. This team was crap with crappy coaching with Mooch. The turnover has already started in making this team like Marenilli wants. Last year we lost by one score 9 times and our OLine used 15 different players on it. Even so, we still went down to Dallas and beat a team needing a win for home field and with practice squad players on both lines against a veteran squad.

I've got to say, how in the world can you be a Piston fan here with that username?
  16. Ozarkruffrider

Possible, but I think that's the talking heads from the commercial networks really saying that trying to shoot holes in his game. What we need a DE for is to take Redding's place on 1st and 2nd down to stop the run. Plus Marenilli's coaching and he will excel IMO.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I wrote a long post and thought better of posting it. Suffice it to say, I have little good to say about Rod. He said to judge him by the tape, and I did. His tape (particularly on defense) was terrible.
  18. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Big deal about beating Dallas. It was a meaningless win against a team that was about to crash and burn (and did in the playoffs). The win over Dallas served its usual purpose: A late-season victory to get the troops all excited about another top 5 pick in the NFL draft. Again.
  19. jammertime

As long as Martz is comfortable with Danny-O as a backup, I completely agree with you. Kitna is the clear #1. He took every single snap at QB last season for the Lions - a new club record - but injuries are always a concern, so I wouldn't want to be left without a quality backup.

McCown has 1 year left on his deal and he just doesn't fit the Martz mold. He's a scrambling QB with poor accuracy. There's no sense in giving him away, but if a fair offer comes along AND trading him away doesn't hurt us in the draft (I can't see Oakland trading for McCown and still taking Russell. If they get McCown I think they take CJ #1, which will also affect how the teams below us respond), then make the move.
  20. jammertime

I like Rod and I think he's slowly taking this team in the right direction, but he's made some mistakes along the way as well and this IS the Lions we're talking about.

The same can be said about a couple of season ago under Marty Mornhinweg when they lost a boat load of games by 3 or less points. I don't care if they lose every game by 1 point, they still lose. This team needs to learn how to win the close games. They've been knocking on the door for years, but they keep shooting themselves in the foot. A stupid penalty here, a dropped pass there, a defence unable to get the stop when needed and an offence that can't move the ball when it counts. A front office with no brains and a coaching staff with no timeouts.

I have to agree with Gazoo on this one. Big deal. They won a meaningless game. The only thing that game did was take the Lions from the 1st to the 2nd pick in the draft. Kind of like the New Orleans "win" the year before, taking them out of the Reggie Bush lottery.

It's hard not to be a pessimist where this team is concerned. As much as I'd like to believe that things will be different this season, or with this coach, or after this draft, I'll have to see it to believe it.