NFL 2007 Draft Talk

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by jammertime, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Correct me if I am wrong but we passed up Troy Smith ESPN.com: Ohio State Buckeyes Player Card a QB who beat Mich, Mich State, Texas won the Heisman the Walter Camp and the Davey O'Brien awards for
    Drew Stanton ESPN.com: Michigan State Spartans Player Card

Sounds like another Millen Moment:nerd2:

I may not like Ohio State but why why why would you pick Stanton over Smith? Smith is a winner Stanton is not.

Stanton may be local and tough but he had bad coaching and took a beating his whole college career. IMO a drunk chimp would make better moves as G.M. for the Lions.
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Smith had some talent around him at OSU. Pass protection and a defense to help him win games.

Stanton had...well, as an MSU fan I'd rather not say. Superstarov will use it against me in the future. :MusicBigGrin:

Give Stanton a chance. I don't mean to sound like a DHOF'er with pre made excuses, but if Stanton doesn't make it I am guessing it's because of the (lack of) talent surrounding him.

I saw him play quite a bit. I think he's tough and talented. If they can just give him a little something to work with he will flourish.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    ESPN's Len Pasquarelli has an interesting take on Millen's draft:

4. detteam

detteam All-Star

Somewhere in your own words you might find the answer to your question. :sssh:
  5. Maverick

Maverick First Round Draft Pick

hmm tough you say? takes a beating u say.. sounds like a Lions QB to me..lol
  6. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

The interesting part of all of this is we had to use a SECOND round pick to get Stanton...........a QB we didn't need right now. So the better value is really Smith at SIXTH ROUND instead of Stanton at SECOND ROUND. Smith has the NFL arm. So what if he's short. Does a couple of inches really make a difference? (I really typed that question)
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Smith was drafted #174 overall, the 37th pick of the 5th round. Which means that teams passed him up 173 times before someone drafted him. He was drafted 134 picks after the Lions drafted Stanton. If the Lions were so wrong for drafting Stanton over Smith, you'd think that he'd have been drafted earlier.

Smith was the 9th QB taken, Stanton was the 5th. That means that 3 other QBs were taken after Stanton while Smith was still available.

Thirty two Gm's passed on Smith at least 4 times. Even Baltimore, the team that ended up drafting him, drafted 5 players before Smith.

That doesn't sound like such a hot commodity to me.

Smith may end up being a better NFL player than Stanton, but the proof is in the draft. Smith wasn't very highly regarded from any team.

I don't think you can blame this one on Millen. There's plenty of other things to blame on him, but I don't think this is one of them. :MusicBigGrin:
  8. Nemo

Everybody knows by now how many times Brady was passed during his draft. He turned out to be a hot commodity.

I almost hate to say this, but Stanton is nothing more than part of a "Wish Sandwich". Lion fans and MSU fans want Stanton to work out. Heck, I even do cause I like the guy.

In the Lions "Wish Sandwich" we wish for OL blocking, we wish for CB improvement, we wish for our RB to be productive, we wish for Big Baby to play hard the full year. We wish for Teddy to be healthy. We wish for Kalimba to earn his money. We wish for the free agents to pan out. We wish to make the playoffs. See..........nothing more than a "wish sandwich", with Millen providing the BOLOGNA..............
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Let's face it, nobody knows how a QB will turn out in the NFL.

Brady is a good example. Picked in the 6th round with the 199th pick overall in the 2000 draft.

Ryan Leaf is the classic counter example.

What was it about these guys that led to amazing success and horrible failure? Why couldn't any teams at the draft see these qualities?
  10. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

The proof is in the draft huh? Mike Williams Charles Rogers Joey Harrington Stockar McDougle Bryant Westbrook all of them are first rounders by the Lions and all of them suck.

My point was if a qb like Smith was available dont you take the best player at his position rather than make a so called good PR move?

I would have gladly taken Smith in the third or fourth round and gotten more help defensively.
  11. jammertime

Hey I agree with you that Millen sucks at the draft. I'm not disputing that at all. I also don't watch any college ball, I've never watched a single second of either Smith or Stanton play.

All I'm saying is that the proof is in who was actually drafted when by all 32 teams, not specifically the Lions. 32 teams passed on Smith a bunch of times. It's not like the Lions took Stanton and then another team took Smith right after that. If that was the case, an argument could be made that the Lions didn't take the consensus best player available.

But 32 teams clearly didn't think that Smith was the best player available because 8 other QBs were drafter before him, including an additional 3 after the Lions took Stanton.

Smith may very well become a better player than Stanton. But it wasn't like 31 other teams were sitting back laughing at Millen for taking Stanton when Smith was available. If that was the case, Smith would have been the next QB off the board, not the 9th.

From everything I've read post-draft from the "experts" no one has said that the Stanton move was a bad one. They either thought it was a good pick, or didn't say anything at all.

I'm the LAST person to be defending Matt Millen. I think that he's a horrible GM and should have been fired years ago. I just don't think that he was necessarily wrong in this instance.
  12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

TaS it's all about good GM vs Bad GM. Support around the player and the investment in the player. With Brady and the Pats as soon as they saw this guy was better than the fan coveted Bledsoe they moved Bledsoe. Didn't even want him as a backup. Oh, and good talent evaluators.
  13. Nemo

I've been reading a whole lot of different stuff on Stanton. Basically the analysts are concerned that he's physically talented but very inconsistent, shows little poise, not a strong arm, and generally doesn't make things happen. It's ok to look at how people passed on Smith. I'm sure he'll be ok in the pros. However, I'm wondering just how far Stanton woulda fallen had the Lions not taken him. Gotta remember too that most of the Lions picks were considered to be taken before their actual value. Let's count the Heisman votes, an INDIVIDUAL award based on talent. Smith won............how many votes did Stanton get??? Me and you will just have to disagree on this one. Millen got it wrong.............Smith as a sixth rounder is a better value for the Lions than Stanton in the Second round.
  14. Darth Tater

Heisman winner translates to great pro QB? I think NOT!!!!

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2006[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Troy Smith [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ohio State [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QB[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2004[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Matt Leinart [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Southern California [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QB

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2003[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jason White[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oklahoma[/FONT]​

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2002[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carson Palmer [/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Southern California[/FONT]​

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2001[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eric Crouch[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nebraska[/FONT]​

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2000[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chris Weinke[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Florida State
    QB

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1996[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Danny Wuerffel[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Florida[/FONT]​

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1993[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Charlie Ward[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Florida State
    [/FONT]​

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1992[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gino Torretta[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Miami[/FONT]​

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1990[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ty Detmer[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Brigham Young[/FONT]​

[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1989[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Andre Ware[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Houston[/FONT]​
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QB[/FONT]​
  15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

weird how the heisman, which is supposed to be for the best player in college football, rarely translates to where that player is selected in the draft, or how good they'll be as a pro.

does that mean the heisman selection process is faulty?

anyway, stanton has a solid arm. he beat out all but one QB in the throwing competition (forgot what it was, saw it on ESPN) and i believe he won for accuracy. did anyone else see this and now what i'm talking about? with quality players around him he can be a solid QB, but again i don't see why we needed to draft 2 offensive players with our first 2 picks this year.
  16. Nemo

Everybody knows the heisman doesn't guarantee success. Just stated that to show how opinions change from situation to situation. (Many people chose to ignore Smith in the draft......All People chose to ignore Stanton in the Heisman voting). Problem with Stanton being drafted by the Lions is that he'll be back in the MSU atmosphere where he wasn't able to thrive. Bad coach with a bad supporting cast....................I agree that the Lions didn't need the WR or the QB with the first two picks.
  17. Darth Tater

Maybe I'm giving the buffoon too much credit, but I think perhaps they realize they aren't going to do much this year as far as winning games, so they are getting the skill players they can now, and next year getting the big fellas to protect them. Stanton won't be ready this year anyhow but he may be really good 2-3 years from now IF we have some talent to compliment him.

I don't think there is any way they can rebuild the team in one year. Again, maybe I'm wrongly assuming the idiots have a long term plan.
  18. Nemo

I really believe that Marenilli thinks his team is set. He is happy with the people he has and is preparing to win loads of games. He doesn't seem to be planning a down season this year. This is based on past articles I've read. He feels the OL will be productive and the defense will be better with our new Defensive Coordinator......................I'm seeing a 4-12 team who needs a new coach and president/CEO/GM.
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Maybe they should've had Martz as a coach and Marinelli as a defensive line coach? Mayb Martz will get his head coaching position after the next horrible Lions season? Who knows, but we for sure don't know how long Millen's leash is. Maybe Ford is waiting for the Lions to become successfull (which all normal people know will not happen until he gets rid of this team) to show everyone that Millen has what it takes and that he was right about him?

:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
  20. jammertime

I agree with you.

I think that they wanted to get a young, moldable QB this year to take advantage of Martz while he's here. Same goes for CJ.

There's a good chance that this will be his last season with the team, so getting these young skill position players now gives them at least 1 season to learn under Martz.