1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Nice article about Joe Dumars

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Walter, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This gets me pumped up, especially because it's not by a Pistons beat writer. Woj typically calls it as he sees it. Nice read.
    Joe Dumars sees promise in Pistons' difficult rebuilding project - Yahoo! Sports

Some excerpts:

alexa032 and roscoe36 like this.
  2. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yeah but it didn't stop fans from calling for you to go. For me, the best thing about the Pistons is that there's hope and its still under Dumars' watch.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The team turning over? That's not an act of nature. It involves legal contracts. I don't think that most of us were upset over the turnover, it was the lack of turnover.

Also, how long did he expect Mr. D to live? He was 86 and had deteriorating health for years before he passed. Joe is lucky that he had an owner that took him under his wing and yet didn't hover over his shoulder.

I don't dislike Joe, but it irritates me how he never seems to accept responsibility for the downfall. He's either dead silent or he's making excuses. The 3 cornerstones of this "rise" back are all draft picks as a result of being one of the worst teams in the league. I believe all 3 were ranked higher than where he eventually drafted them... i.e. they fell into his lap.

He'd be more endearing to me if he would have explained his philosophy more on the trip to the cellar. At least when Leyland does something crazy he mumbles out the explanation and has some data to support it.

Mogilny and Ernie the Slow Adult like this.
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wasn't Frank the choice of Gores/Checketts? Joe wanted someone else, didn't he? TaS has a point, Woj is painting with a broad brush and Joe is getting credit for the sun rising.

It is a good article though.

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I gotta say that Frank is my favorite coach of the Pistons in quite some time. He handled year 1 with some real class.