1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Nice Article About Lb 4 Lb

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Apr 5, 2006.

1. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Yeah...you can't talk about it on a Pistons forum though. You can't rip into our hero Isiah Thomas. We love him. The guy gave his heart to win two Championships.

He has made a mess in NY. As a GM our beloved Zeke is a total imbecile. He has become a joke...and yet we are much more comfortable ripping into Larry Brown because he is such a flawed character...he is easy to dump on.

Your right Micro he's not the biggest problem in NY. Could Scott Layden have done any worse??

2. basketbills

Amen Darth! We need to get out of our rocking chairs once in a while...dang it's boring when everyone just agrees on everything. A little spat never hurt anyone.

3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Personally, I believe Isiah deserves a lot more loyalty from us than Larry. He did a lot more for this organization. In a sense, he built it. Larry got a free ride.

That being said, IMO, Isiah shares equal blame with Larry for the situation in New York. He should not be immune to any criticism for the New York situation...or any other criticism for that matter. But this thread was about LB and that is why I was talking about him and not Isiah. I was initially responding to a comment regarding whether or not LB has changed.

4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The only problem is, Darth doesn't bring any "game". He just hides behind the "micro is oppressing me because it's his board" nonsense.

I imagine DT lives much of his life blaming others for his problems and shortcomings. Not unlike Larry Brown. Maybe they are related?

In that case, I would have to say I like Darth because he reminds me of Larry.

Darth, you are ok with me.

5. basketbills

Is that one of those backhanded compliments Micro?

6. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

Okay you guys, keep it civil. Nobody's changing any outcomes or opinions, so why get heated up? Save it for Miami.

Trouble is, regardless of their individual strengths, Zeke and Larry are a perfect storm as a management team. Neither calms or balances the other, the way Joe did for both. So there's plenty of blame to go around.

And for the record, I think Larry did point a finger at Sheed. Not because he's malicious or insecure, but because he just can't shut up when he should.

7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I was pretty pissed at Sheed right after that play too, I am NOT a fan of LB, but I imagine it was pretty hard to stay calm after such a boneheaded play. I mean, how many tens of thousands of Pistons fans were sitting in front of the t.v., just before the ball was inbounded, saying:

"Don't give up a three. Don't give up a three. Don't give up a three. Don't give... WHAT THE @#$&!!! ARE YOU @#$% KIDDING ME!! SHEED! WHAT THE @#$% WERE YOU THINKING!!"

Am I wrong? I think those were my EXACT words.

Now I understand that a coach is expected to have more poise than that, but in the heat of the moment - and given that we already know LB is a jerk ;) - I didn't think his comments were that bad. He definately didn't fall on the grenade, but I also don't think he threw Sheed directly under the bus.

I look at it more like when you're asked to volunteer for something crappy. You casually nudge the guy next to you forward just a tad while simultaneously clearing your throat and taking a half step back, trying to blend in with your surroundings while making no eye contact whatsoever.

8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Larry,
    sucks
    Been to a bunch of Knicks games this year, and the one thing I've seen is that Larry does not coach to win. He's coaching to get players to play his way. He'll break up a unit that's winning because someone did something stupid on one play.

Losing the right way as opposed to winning the wrong way is ok in amateur sports, but not the NBA. The worst thing LB did this year was to not get his team to play the best that THEY could play. He wants them to play his way or no way. Which is why he'll be fired.

After watching this spectacle, I'm pretty sure he'd bench Dirk for shooting too many jumpers, bench Wade for not making the extra pass, waive Kobe for being Kobe, and bench Shaq for not playing D. Larry's a perfectionist, the Pistons ruined him, he thinks every guard should play like CB, and every Center like Ben. Well I'm sure they would if they could, but they can't, and it's up to a good coach to get the best he can out of them, not play like an allstar or i wont play you.

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

BTW,
    The reason the Pistons are so good this year, is that the Pistons are essentially great offensive players that can play D (not counting Ben). Larry wanted them to be great Defensive players that can play O. We won once that way, but then came up short.

Now, we're dominating, and barring some bizarre setback with the bench putting us in some insurmountable hole, we will win again, because Flip plays the starters to their strenghths. Which for Rip, CB, Tay, and Sheed is putting the rock in the hole.

10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I completely agree, but Larry's been doing that for years. That shouldn't come as a surprise. LB strips players down to nothing and then builds them back up to the player he wants them to be. I'm not saying I agree with his approach, just that its been LB's MO for decades. Its not like he's a new coach in the league. Zeke knew what he was getting.

Personally I couldn't be happier!

11. max

max All-Star

I have not really been following the Knicks so this is a novice opinion.

Larry has Marbury and Farancise who are both unconventional guards. They put up stats but don't always play the right way or what one would expect them to do - especially LB.

Seems to me that LB would have been better off just stepping back and letting these guys play. I would not have expected a serious challenge in the East but they should have at least made the post-season and gave the NY fans something to cheer about.

Now like a cold slap in the face they will get a top 3 pick and have to hand it over to the Bulls.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, that's pretty hard to argue with. Larry probably would bench Dirk at some point.

And jammer - I believe my actual words were "No, Sheed, nooooooooo..."

I think Larry did everything he could to take the spotlight off Sheed after that play (the quote). There wasn't anything he could say that was going to make anyone believe that Sheed didn't (in hindsight) mess up. Sheed made a basketball choice. He reacted to the situation and went to trap a guard in the corner. More times than not they would have forced a turnover and we wouldn't be in this conversation.

Anyway, I believe it was micro a few pages back who admitted to liking Larry as much for his flaws as for his strengths and I'm in that camp too. Unfortunately in NY, he is in a situation (perhaps in the majority of his own making - I'm not an apologist) where his flaws are all that come through.

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

@Max - I like (strong emphasis on like, not "love") Larry but I have not followed the Knicks except as it pertains to my fantasy players (Curry, Lee, Crawford at various points of the season). I just know that Stephon Marbury is not a winner, and Jamal Crawford is a chucker. I thought LB might be able to sort them out, but he hasn't. It's a players' league which makes what Joe does, building a team with emphasis on character and talent so important for success.

@dba - I think that today's rapid fire, instant press release, searching for a scandal media can make or crush a reputation overnight. Hence the need for players' and anyone steeping in front of a microphone to undergo media sensitivity training.

I love getting the news as it happens, but I wonder if we would have had a Ty Cobb, or Babe Ruth, or Bobby Layne if all of their exploits and idiosyncrasies were constantly under the microscope, analyzed to death by forum and blog hacks like ourselves.

I enjoy character in sports. The heroes, the villains, the oddballs and the average joes struggling to make a career. It's almost as much fun for me as watching the ball go through the hoop.

14. Caliban

Caliban First Round Draft Pick

Love these last two paragraphs. I am of the same mind. People worry about the dumbing down of America, but I am just as worried about the white breading of character. :fear:

One of my favorite memories of Bobby Layne, a commited roue (accent egu), was his being stopped by a cop at 3 or 4 in the morning after a hard night of carousing. The cop suggested that his manner of speech indicated that he had been drinking. But the irrepressible Bobby insisted that he hadn't been drinking, although he could understand how a northerner might confuse his Texas accent with the slurred speech of someone less responsible than he.

I also liked his assertion, "It is my intention to run out of money and breath at the same time." :rockon: