1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Nice Games Last Night By Former Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 3, 2005.

1. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Okur went for 27 and 8 with 2 blocks in Utah's win over Dallas
    Parker went for 20 and 6 rassists with zero turnovers in the Laker's win.

I think Okur has arrived. Unfortunately Brown drove him out of town. Regardless of what other's have posted over the last year plus since Okur signed with Utah about cap limitations, I still believe that if Brown hadn't treated Okur so badly that he and the Pistons would have been able to work things out and Okur would have stayed in Detroit.

Would we be better off with Okur instead of Dyess. Maybe not under Brown's game but I definitely think so under Flip's offense.

It was interesting to note that Brown made the headlines this AM on the ESPN website and the Pistons were just a footnote on their front page with no mention of Rip's big night on the front page.

Well we all expect that, but as one who was and is not overly fond of Brown it is a bit irritating to see other's worship this guy like he is some kind of basketball god when he has one only one professional title, NBA and ABA combined.

I would expect to see a lot more big numbers from Okur this year. I think he has arrived.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The simple fact is that if he was still here, he would not be a starter. And Joe was not going to pay a starter's wage to a bench player.

Memo was a Restricted FA. His qualifying offer was around $1,525,000. Utah offered him $7,500,000 (ramping up to $10 million) and the opportunity to start.

Like Memo apparently told our pal Massimo from the D-News this summer when they met, it was about the money. Specifically I would assume, $6 million dollars in the first year.

And it's been done before but here goes....

Memo or Sheed? You can only have one...

3. roscoe36

Mike James 11P / 7A / 5 REB
    Raptors had the game stolen from them by the refs.

4. buddahfan

Memo and Sheed

I will never believe that.

It could have been done. Memo and Sheed if Memo really wanted to stay.

Other players haven given money to go to or stay on a certain team.

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

even if i had just won a championship with a team, if i was given the opportunity okur was, i would have taken it too. we couldn't keep both.

6. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

buddahfan

No, we had to choose. Once we signed 'Sheed (I hope you agree that was the right choice), the most we could offer Memo was the MLE. We did (the full MLE, for six years, at close to $40m), but he elected to go to Utah where he could get more (they gave him six years and $50m).

I agree that he did not get along with LB, but he was out of here regardless because he was always going to get more $ and more playing time in Utah.

I don't hold that against him. But the facts, as they say, is the facts.

7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

memo would have signed for less to be on a winner. but under lb his minutes dropped to non existance. he didn't go to utah for more playing time and more money. he went to get away from lb. under a different coach memo would have been getting dice like minutes and probably more because he's young and healthy. money was a big part of the decision but his treatment by lb was also. joe learned his lesson and got lb out of town before he had to make a similar choice with darko wanting to leave to get away from lb. to keep darko we need him to sign for less to play for a winner. there was no chance of that if lb had stayed.

8. roscoe36

Yes, if Memo really wanted to stay, he could have accepted his qualifying offer. He had to force JD's hand because Joe is not in the habit of overpaying guys to be here. The only way to force the hand, was to get a signed offer sheet. Once the offer sheet was signed, we couldn't use the MLE anymore (they fixed this in the new CBA).

Look, I know people want to blame that on Brown, but if you understand the protocol that has to be followed in free agency, there was no choice unless Memo wanted to give up $6 million dollars and the long term security that the Utah deal gave him.

Massimo met Okur during the summer and put this very question to him. Massimo strongly dislikes Larry Brown. But Mass is an objective guy, and made it clear that Okur made the move for financial security.

Three sides to every story. Yours, mine and the truth.

9. roscoe36

You might have to accept that Joe may be unable to keep Darko depending upon the offer he receives.

If you check out Story Teller's salary link in the resources section, you can get an idea of who will have the money to throw at him 2 years from now.

10. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Micro

The one difference with Darko is that we can offer him a larger contract than anyone else (if we so desire). The best we could do with Memo was to use the MLE.

Not that it would have mattered in Memo's case, because Joe D indicated that he thought Utah was overpaying and, even in the absence of 'Sheed, he would have been unlikely to match.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Former players

I heard that Rodney White had a killer game at the YMCA too. 20+ turnovers, but he was 35 of 71 shooting.

12. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

we need players to sign for less like ben, tay, sheed all did. you have to take care of your players to get them to do that. people say you shouldn't give away minutes but in the next 2 years darko needs to be given a bigger role even if mcdyess,ben and sheed are playing well. darko may not be better than them while we have him under contract but he will be in the future so we have to take care of him now so he remembers it and wants to stay here. darko wants to play most of all.

13. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

lmao! :laugh:

14. buddahfan

Another Nice Game by Smush Last Night

21 points 2 assists and 4 steals shot 8 for 14. It looks like he might just compliment Kobe in the Laker backcourt. I would think that he most certainly will do better for them then Chuckster did

15. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Have to agree with Micro, the moment Sheed signed, Memo was history. LB's treatment of Okur is irrelevant, because with Sheed being set as our near term starter, Darko as the future, the only spot open was as backup. And Joe aint paying starter money to a backup. McDyess, 4 years 23 mil, or Okur 6 years, 57 mil? No brainer

16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

looks like lindsey might have taught him a thing or two as well ... he picked nash's pocket 3 times on crossovers

17. Tally

Tally First Round Draft Pick

Memo followed up his 27/8 game by putting up 23/14 against the Warriors. "baby fats" hit the gym in the offseason.

18. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Mehmet Okur's numbers, MPG, make sense to me, and I wouldn't consider them "next to nothing". 19.0 as a rookie, and 22.3 his 2nd year.

And "Dyess-like" minutes were 23.3 last year, and 20.5 so far this year. I would have to say that Mehmet was getting "Dyess-like" minutes.

I think Mehmet left to be "the guy". I think Mehmet left to get "paid". When we absorbed Sheed's contract, it was pretty much the end of Okur. Especially with Tay's contract looming this year, and Ben's next year. Simple math.

Actually very simple math. "Sign for the MLE, or we can't keep you."

19. max

max All-Star

Not for 2nd rounders

There were a couple of key 2nd rounders lost that same summer because there was no protection at all for teams re-signing them. 2nd rounders on expiration of their contract were treated as any other FA for that team. So if you did not have room on the soft cap there was no way to match an offer above the MLE.

I emphasise "was" since this clause has been fixed in the new CBA.

Memo or Sheed? Thats not an easy question but Dumars already answered it for us. Memo had a terrible year last season so I am not convinced after 2 games that he has "arrived".

20. buddahfan

Baby Fats Is Looking Lean and Mean

I am not sure how you can say that. You might be a little prejudice again him or for Dyess.

Okur had the best year of his career last year posting highs in

Minutes per game 28
    FG % 47%
    FT % 85% (Dyess is lucky to get to 85% by combining 2 years)
    PPG 13
    RPG 7.5

Numbers in the same range or better tha Corliss put up when he won 6th man of the year playing for the Pistons.

Not to shabby and certainly far from terrible.

I expect him to have a double double year if he doesn't get hurt.

By the way. Joe D. did not make that decision Brown did by his treatment of Okur.