Nice Games Last Night By Former Pistons

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by buddahfan, Nov 3, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I think alot of Memo's stats are inflated now due to the absence of Boozer, but he has been playing remarakably to say the least. I'm proud of the guy.
  2. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I agree that they may be inflated in Boozer's absence but needless to say maybe you could say that about many players in this league or put up exceptional numbers because they don't have other offensive or rebounding talent on their team.

No disrespect to AI but I am sure his numbers would be down a wee bit if he was in the Piston's backcourt.
  3. MotownPride

no, he just wouldn't pass. :)
  4. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

all i know is......

I love Mike James!!!!!!Nuffsaid, my bruddahs!
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You claim that players have taken less before. Yeah, All-Stars who have made their max deals usually swallow the pill to play for a contender. Once they are multi-multi-multi-millionaires.

Larry Hughes didn't sacrifice to stay in Washington. Gilbert Arenas didn't sacrifice to stay in Golden State. Joe Johnson didn't sacrifice to stay in Phoenix. Young players don't give up their first real paydays, not over a coach, over winning, or a system.

And Memo is certainly not blameless for the drama in '04 either. His Turkish Eurobasket 2005 teammates will tell you about his moodiness and soft play.

Joe D. was going to re-sign Rasheed. Memo bolted for the money and the cold embrace of another hardnut coach. He didn't have Pistons DNA.
  6. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I totally agree.
  7. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

look at memo's mpg after the sheed trade. he went from being an integral part of our team to next to nothing during the playoffs. yes memo was mistreated by lb.

memo signed for more money yes i agree with that. but if treated right he wouldn't have signed that contract for us to have to match. he would have signed with us for less to stay a champion. just like tayshaun did.
  8. bball jay

none of those players you named were coming off of a championship. tayshaun signed for less than market value. why is it out of the question that memo would have signed for less than market value to stay playing for a championship team??

nobody said memo was blameless but there is not doubt that lb has a definite affect on some players. isn't it weird how all the players that were labeled bad apples under lb are now thriving under flip?? maybe it's the coach that didn't have pistons dna.
  9. roscoe36

It's not out of the question. It's just totally unprecedented. Find me one precedent of a player coming off his rookie deal sacrificing the money to stay with his team. Find me one. Heck, even Tim Duncan went out and tested Free Agency when his rookie deal came up. This after being on the winningest team in basketball and a team that won a championship.

But my point remains. Find me a precedent where a player gave up the money.

I'll agree that LB did not treat Memo well. We're three games into the season. Delfino is healthy, Arroyo had a training camp in the offense and Darko had his first real summer of playing and developing. I'd say it has more to do with circumstance than the coaching change. If we don't make the Finals, all of that high scoring, pal'ing around is going to be pretty insignificant here in July.

Re: minutes, yeah same thing happened to Corliss. Don't second guess the reduced minutes leading to the Pistons running the Lakers out of the gym. No matter how much you liked him, it was Memo or Sheed. Sheed won us a title. Memo got a ring and fat deal because of it. I think all parties are happy, except perhaps the Detroit fans who get a little too attached to particular players.

Follow this team for 25 years. You'll see the roster turnover at least a couple of times. The jersey stays the same even if the guys wearing it changes...
  10. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

More Inflated Stats From Memo Tonight

46 Minutes - Who ever would of thought that Baby Fats could go 46 minutes in one game, even an OT game

31 points (must have been all those minutes)
    7 boards
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Memo's playing a lot ot PF now since Tag came back... he should dominate smaller PF's on offense... watch the other side of the ball too.

But good to hear Memo's doing well... can't think of a reason not to hope he succeeds in Utah... we all know the reasoning behind the move.... we won a championship with him mostly on the pines.
  12. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Ditto!!

There is no reason to root against Memo and plenty of reasons to root for him, except for a couple of games a year.

He played well here and always spoke highly about his teammates. Yes, we know why he left and I cannot blame him for that. Besides, then we got Sheed.

Go, Memo, for 80 games a year.
  13. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

So you're saying we... what are you saying?

We shouldn't have signed Sheed because he took Memo's minutes? Or... we should have signed Sheed, but not played him as much..? Or...? And Tayshawn signed for less than maybe some other team would have payed him, but not as much less as Memo would have gotten to stay.
  14. bball jay

i'm saying we should have signed sheed and played memo with mcdyess type minutes off the bench. you have to keep your young guys happy and feeling like they are a part of the team or they leave. your only hope of keeping your young up and comers is keeping them happy and loyalty.

joe johnson and bobby simmons both got fat contracts at the small forward position. almost 20 mill more than tay signed for less than. i believe memo would have signed a short but still high paying contract similar to what mcdyess is making. he could have still gotten paid and stayed a champion win win situation. the pistons could have gave him the fat contract after that one was up because ben, mcdyess, sheed would be getting old.
  15. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Somewhere back in the other posts in this thread I laid out the stats of Memo vs Dyess in Motown. Remember that? I showed that Memo WAS getting Dyess type minutes... like slightly more or less than a minutes difference.
  16. roscoe36

Based on what? Anything more than gut feeling?

Young players will move to bad teams to get paid. Simmons and Johnson both were coming off of career years. Simmons as FA, and Johnson as RFA. You only have to look at Amare re-upping this summer to see how important it is to get the max guaranteed dollars as early as possible rather than risk injury and a premature end to a career.

We're still missing some salary cap and CBA sanity here.

Joe offered less than Utah.
    For Memo to get PAID, he needed to sign an offer sheet forcing Joe's hand.
    Once signed, Joe could not match the Utah offer without destroying the team's salary structure.
    So he declined.
    Simple business. You bid and if someone goes over you, you evaluate whether or not you can afford to keep bidding.

That's why Joe probably didn't even consider a S&T. He didn't want the salary coming back in any way shape or form. He's trying to keep the books in the black.

Memo got starter dollars. He was never going to be a starter in Detroit. Even on a short term deal, Joe could not have paid him more than Ben, Tay, or CB. It simply does not make sense. You may like Memo, but he is not better than those guys and did not deserve that kind of money to come off the bench.

Why can't people accept that JD has to make business decisions that are not always popular? Why does there have to be some mythical scapegoat? When it comes time to sign Darko or Delfino, will people complain if they leave because 3 years ago Larry Brown was here?

Detroit doesn't exceed the cap. They were not going to do it for Memo. We'll find out if they will do it for Darko.

Massimo doesn't like LB and he loves Memo. And he's the one who put the question to Okur during the summer and reported the answer. I don't get how some people who know Mass can argue that his report doesn't hold water.
  17. bball jay

i responded to that already. memo was not getting mcdyess type minutes in the playoffs once sheed arrived. check out the stats of memo during the playoffs his minutes per game went down drastically. it was very clear to memo that once sheed was here he was not a part of lb's plans.
  18. MotownPride

I think Memo winning a championship so early in his career was a deciding factor in him going for the payday versus a potential dynasty. More so than any type of connection that can be made to Larry Brown.
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

I thought Darko was wrapped up for 4 more years. Won't Ben be the first cap challenge? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  20. roscoe36

Darko is a restricted free agent after next season.