Nice to have Blaha back!

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by detteam, Nov 23, 2005.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

I hope it's not just a WB20 contract thing...but more the result of Spartan football season being officially over. George will be on FSN thru the rest of the season, right?

Not that I didn't like Fred McLeod, but there ain't nothin like George for Stones bball!
  2. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

blaha

he only does upn games if it is an fsn espn or tnt game he does the radio bit for wdfn.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Didn't Blaha do FSN last year? Maybe I'm mistaken. I've got a good memory but it's short.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

George and Bill are making me ill tonight. I think it's time to listen to Mark Champion.
  5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

for real... just now, tayshaun going to the hoop and bill expressing shock and surprise. tay is on the floor with carlos, darko, mo evans, and dyess -- who's going to produce on offense if he doesn't? that didn't seem to occur to my partner piston legend bill laimbeer
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like George a lot. He's great. He's the damn voice of the Pistons for crissakes.

BUT.....

This season, starting in the preseason, he's sounded a little too over the top for me. At times sounding like he's a casual fan and not a veteran announcer.

Bill L gets exposed every once in a while as not the most eloquent guy, but last night against the Bucks, when they both were talking about Bogut, it made me wonder if they had any clue who the #1 pick in the draft was or what he has been doing early in the season. They kept talking about him like he was Pape Sow or Desagana Diop. Now don't get me wrong, I understand their focus is the Pistons but the Bucks are in the Central, and the #1 overall pick should be someone they can speak somewhat intelligently on.

As I get older, I rely more on gamecast stats than on the announcers when I am watching the game. Benefit of having a computer and television very close to each other...
  7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i love laimbeer, he's not afraid to say what is exactly on his mind, he doesn't sugarcoat and offers his opinions on what either team should be doing - you can tell he misses coaching.
  8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

between frying pan and fire

I know that blaha and laimbeer (like mccloud and kelser) are the voices of the pistons and so they are going to be partisan. My problem is that sometimes they seem to veer into being blindly partisan (not so much laimbeer and kelser since both of them are willing to criticize the Pistons and say what they think they should be doing differently -- on that score, it has seemed to me that kelser is a more sober and accurate color analyst than lamb).

On the other hand, I hate watching the pistons on the networks because of the lack of respect I feel they get from the courtside commentators in those games.

I would love a broadcast that is somewhere in between blind partisan adoration (WB and FSN) and clueless disrespect (ESPN, TNT, the Networks).
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

McLeod

I don't mind McLeod when he is combined with Kelser, but Fred McLeod shows his homerism a little too often, especially in the heat of the moment.