No changes? Lions front office

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Ozarkruffrider, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

This is baaaaaaad news dudes.
    Lunch with Killer: Don't shoot the messenger, but Lions may not make front-office changes in offseason

by MLive.com Staff Friday December 05, 2008, 11:05 AM

There's no truth to recent reports that the Detroit Lions have finalized a list of general manager candidates, MLive Lions Insider Tom Kowalski says during his weekly "Lunch with Killer" Q&A
    "I have no idea where (Pro Football Talk blogger) Mike Florio got that list," Kowalski says. "If I'm not mistaken, (they were) all guys who are currently out of the NFL. If the Lions open up a search, I think it will involve a lot of guys who are currently working.
    "But let me say again – and you'd better sit down for this – I'm not convinced that (owner William Clay) Ford is going to make ANY changes. Yes, I think it's possible that (head coach Rod) Marinelli might be back, EVEN if he goes 0-16.
    "Don't yell at me, I'm just the messenger."

What makes this so bad is Hondo who is about as opposite as Killer is on info, is saying the same:

News and Notes from in and around the Spartan Nation

By Hondo S. Carpenter Sr.
    News and Notes from in and around the Spartan Nation

1. Lions Much to the chagrin of my contacts within the NFL, they think that it has gone from a slight possibility to close to a probability that WCF will keep Lewand and maybe even Marinelli when the season is over. “I don’t know how he can do it. They are already blacked out with what they have. I think he has to clean house, but when has anyone ever understood what Ford is up to?” I will have more later, but if Ford doesn’t sell the team, he has to clean house completely. This fan base is not dumb (even though they continue to buy tickets) and I don’t think they will, “Buy in” without a new owner or a clean house.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

News like that is nothing but. [​IMG]
  3. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The old man is completely gone if he keeps Mr. Invisible Marineli. It is clear the guy is in over his head and should not be a head coach. It is clear that he doesn't know talent and has set this team back another 3 to 5 years. This Lions team is full of Marineli guy's people he wanted on this team it is freaking Tampa Bay North and none of these guy's can play.

If WCF keeps Marineli he will ahve to give tickets away. I don't think even the strongest supporter can put a positive spin on it and stomach it.
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It won't matter who is brought in as coach as long as the front office for this organization keeps missing on talent in the draft and overpaying for under performers.
  5. Ozarkruffrider

Even Pat Kirwan is now confirming this information. The Fords absolutely disgust me.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Indeed my friend. The good thing is, they are sowing the seeds of their own destruction. It is necessary to not only kill the beast, but to salt it's grave.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Do they think they are going to be part of the bailout?

It would be fun to see them testify to congress on their turnaround plan.
  8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The questioning would go something like this:

Mr. Ford why is your run & shoot offense not effective?

Mr. Ford why is Barry Sanders not involved more in your offense?

Mr. Ford the Lions been losers since you have been owner why should we invest in your team and think your going to get it right?

Mr. Ford is it true that Matt Millen was your dinner date every Friday night for the past 8 years?
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this is surprising to me, not because the ford's are inept owners, but because if they keep everyone around they're not going to sell tickets...which seems to be their main motivation imo.
  10. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Ford is not inept, he is an unaffected owner who is not bothered owning a losing team. The team is a distraction for him, not a passion. He must be a great guy to work for: great pay, very loyal and doesn't meddle in day to day affairs. Sign me up for a gig like that, no accountability. I hope Jr. takes over.
  11. Ozarkruffrider

Jr already has, why do you think Lewand is still there?
  12. anakin

Decisions still are w/ the old man. Jr has a say, in fact Sr. was forced to fire Millen because of Jr.'s public comments. Jr. may not be much of an owner in terms of front office hiring but he will not tolerate this type of losing over so many years.
  13. Ozarkruffrider

OMG---WE HAVE A RELATIVE!!!
    You have to be kidding me, right? The only thing Jr cares about is running this team himself. Lewand is his stooge.
  14. anakin

You would do well to not be so dismissive. Have you considered the fact that some people may have actually met Ford Jr., and may have a different perspective on the person? Jr. has his hands full overseeing the company, the Lions are the least of his worries.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Remember Jr. and Fontes worked well together for a while.
  16. Ozarkruffrider

Hey "Mr" Lewand, go back to politics.

Jr isn't involved with FoMoCo anymore. I know some people that have met Jr, and their opinion of him is the same as mine.
  17. anakin

Have you even worked at an OEM or even how a product program is approved? BTW I have a friend of a friend who knows Joe D and has the same opinion I have of him, lol. You sound like one of those talking heads.
  18. roscoe36

The Lions suck. Let's not allow the woes of the most pathetic franchise in modern sports history to come between two otherwise nice guys who would probably enjoy taking in a game together.
  19. anakin

Ah Roscoe, the face of tact and diplomacy. On that we all can the agree, the Lions do suck.
  20. roscoe36

Yeah, when I was micro, I would have been picking a side in this and swinging like a drunk. lol

I must be getting more mature. :)