No Dirk, No Playoffs?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by dba, Mar 25, 2008.

?

How many wins will the Mavs get?

1. 10+: They're better without Dirk

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 7-9: Dirk who?

15.4%
  3. 4-6: Maybe he isn't so bad

42.3%
  4. 1-3: Will Kidd ever hit a shot?

42.3%
  5. 0: Stinky

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Mavs have a dozen games left in the regular season and are one game out of the eighth spot and 1.5 games from falling out all together.

With Nowitzki out for at least two weeks and potentially the rest of the regular season, how many wins do the Mavs manage?

2. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

Their remaining schedule has 7 on the road and 5 at home, and features two games apiece (home-and-aways) against the Clips and Sonics.

I predict they grab the home games plus the away games to the Clips/Sonics for a total of 7.

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

They've already struggled against good teams since the Kidd trade, and I don't see that getting any better for them without Dirk.

4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

they can win 7-8 games out of the 12 and still miss the playoffs.... every lose is huge in the west right now.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

As PJ Soles character Stella says in the movie Stripes, "the're toast man, they've had it". They have not beaten a team with a winning record since Kidd brought his big head to Dallas, oops my bad, that's his son. :MusicBigGrin:, so how do you think they will fare now?? Maybe they go a 12 game winning streak ala the Yaoless Rockets:MusicBigGrin:

I see maybe 4 potential wins on their schedule and when I look at Denver's remaining games, I see them maybe getting 6 of those. With the Nuggets 1.5 games behind Mavs, the Mavs could slip to the "we almost made it 9th spot" and finish a half game behind the Nuggets (this is all considering the Warriors will hold serve and at least split their remaining games.)

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's crazy that they could be left out of the playoffs while a team like Atlanta makes it.

It's almost enought to make me feel sorry for them. Na.

By the way. Who would have guessed that Darko's team would be superior to Dwyane Wade's team this year? Or should I say, Ricky Davis' team. Holy crap are they tanking. Pat Riley out "scouting" the NCAA tournament. He should be fined for that.

7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I agree. Riley should be fired for that.

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Since the Kidd trade, they're 0-8 against +.500 teams. This team is toast. Pass the butter and Jam.

9. round

no he should be forced to coach the next 5 years

with....

no 1st round draft picks those 5 years
    and not allowed to spend more then the mid level exception on any free agents besides there own.

he made this mess.... let him have to live in it

10. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

One of the headlines over at NBA.com reads 'Dirk-Less Mavs Coast Past Clippers'. So what? For crying out loud, it's the Clippers. A title contender playing without one of their starters should not lose at home to a team like the Clippers since the conference standings are so close.

If they had lost this game, they should not be in the playoffs. Talking about the Mavs in the playoffs, seems like 36% of Americans do not want them in the playoffs. What make things worse is that in the state of Texas itself, 42% of Texans do not want them in the playoffs. 25% of Texans do not want the Spurs in the playoffs. What is wrong with the people from Texas?

ESPN - NBA Basketball Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - Pro Basketball

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sorry, I didn't mean "fire", I meant "fine" (by the NBA).

What if a team sent their best player to go scout the NCAA tourney while they were trying to tank? That would surely be a fine.

12. round

I still like my penalty better.... GRIN

13. PistonFanInCavsTown

This raises the question - is it better as a fan for your team to be a contender every year over a five year period (but never get that ring), or for your team to break the bank to be the champion one year followed by a few years of mediocrity?

14. round

if we had never had a championship.... as in none i'd say sell your soul to get the one... but as i tasted a championship with the bad boys, i would rather be in contention ever year with a chance to win it and be in the hunt then to win it one year and have pathetic hard to watch teams for the 5 years.... add to that this team has a ring in this 5 year run... no way would i trade places with miami for the last 3 years.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I like the Redwings and the recent Pistons model. Just be in serious contention every year. While we are sceptical about the Pistons, I think that most everyone here believes they have a shot at it. It's just that there are some other really good teams and we are realistic about the notion that our team will have to "peak" at the right time to bring it home-- like we did in '04. That is the way that it should be though in a league with some parity. That is what makes MLB and NFL so much fun. Your team is playing the undefeated Patiots who are on the verge of being annointed the best team in history, and your team peaks and man handles them.

If you told me right now that the Pistons have a 20% chance of winning the title, then I'll agree with that and be happy with it.

16. PistonFanInCavsTown

See I agree with that, but I wonder how much of it is due to the fact that the Pistons have won rings during my tenure as a fan.

17. round

how spoiled are we in detroit.... forget those dumb lions..... but between now and nov... we have real shot to win 3 prof titles.

Remember back when Dumars took over, his goal for the team was to be in the mix every year.... he mentioned that winning it all takes a bit of luck and no matter how much some of us think he could do this better or that better he's ton a great job... he never does something today that risks our chances of being good tommorrow. look at our team today... longest streak of 50 wins seasons ever. you'd think with a run like that you would be about to fall off, but we have youth coming in... be it slower then most folks want..

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That's what I meant. The Wings and Pistons model seems to be to be in SERIOUS contention every year, which results in our share of ships. Being in pseudo contention every year sucks- like the Suns. Fool's gold stuff with no defense = regular season contender, post season pretender.

19. PistonFanInCavsTown

But now you're talking about a select, lucky few: Pistons and Spurs for sure, but do you count the Mavs (they made the Finals once) and Cavs (ditto)? The Mavs choked big-time last year and the Cavs run is done if LBJ ever leaves.

I think the only way we continue to be in serious contention every year is to trade one or more of the starters at some time in the near future. It will be impossible to replace them with draft picks and bargain FA signings. It will be Dumars's willingness to do this that will determine how long the run lasts.

20. round

he has in the past and my guess will do it in the future.... he makes the hard calls... he traded stackhouse for an unproven player in rip, he let ben go when lots of folks thought that was a mistake... he seems to keep his head and not do the impulse moves that alot of gms made at the trade deadline this year.... dallas sold there soul and looks to hurt them short term and long term.