1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Not very encouraging...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Ok, I know this is only the first game of the season, however, I was expecting much more than what we witnessed last night.

I was expecting the Pistons to come out smoking at the Palace, with a huge chip on their shoulder. I expected Sheed to be a force down low and Nazr to hold his own replacing Ben. I wanteed to see the bench contribute,using Flip Murray , Delfino and J-Max.

Well, what we got was Sheed getting tossed, a stagnant offense, and a very weak defensive effort against the Milwaukee Bucks no less!

Again, just the opening game but I didn`t like what I saw at all. Hopefully, it will get better.

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

One of the coach's needs to motivate this team. After being the hungriest guys in the nba this team never gives a 100% game anymore. The team should be motivated though. It confuses me.

I'm hoping to see more drives and post ups. That is the one thing that this team will be better at without Ben so they have to do it. If all the Pistons had Rip's menatality yesterday it would of been a blowout in which the Pistons win.

With more paint scoring and less turnovers this team can set up their defense. Hopefully we see an effecient Piston team in Boston tommorow.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

Your fooling yourself if you think the defensive problems came from the turnovers. It wasn't a turnover that helped Bogut make Nazr look like a pylon repeatedly. It wasn't turnovers that made Sheed slow footed.

4. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I'm talking about setting up the defense. This team will now depend a lot on zone to defeat the teams in the NBA. The turnovers didn't allow the zone to be set. I'm a little happy this happened because it will force these guys to give an all out effort, and practice their defense.

5. Hobbs

Hobbs First Round Draft Pick

The set defense was horrible. Again, when the Bucks were in the halfcourt they scored at will inside against Nazr (especially) and the rest. That won't go away and Sheed won't be able to cover any mistakes either because he's lost his foot speed.

You might be able to argue the team doesn't know how to run a defense properly yet (which doesn't seem like a good thing really...), but you can't argue that it was the turnovers fault because even when their weren't turnovers they were pasted.

6. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I think we all remember last season as a failure because all we can remember is the playoff collapse. We tend to forget the best record in the league season. I wonder if what we will see this year is all the other teams coming out with a chip on the shoulder - getting up skyhigh to knock off the team that took the whole league to task last year for six or seven months. To many teams playing the Pistons may be a lot like playing the champs.

Unfortunately I think you can say that about a lot of the Heat playoff series too, especially the last game. Rip was the most motivated / most serious guy on the team during the playoff run. I hope it's just a fluke, but...

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I never bought that line of thinking but it doubt that its so now. It may be a kick em while they're down sort of thing but I am thinking we GIVE UP the initiative and just react to what other teams bring to us. NObody cares what record we had. Its unseat the Heat if you really have no other realistic goals this season. The Pistons...we're just another in a group of contenders.

8. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Well the Bulls did give up 109 last night with Ben and their defensive minded coach...

I would like Chauncey to once say "I sucked at keeping my man from getting inside" ... part of fixing the problem recognizing your own mistakes... I'm going on record that I don't want Joe to spend big dollars to re-sign a PG that is already too slow. :suspiciou

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I agree with this.

It's one game. Let's give these guys the benefit of the doubt for 2 weeks before we lose our heads. One game does not a season make.

10. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

It was once said by a wise PF.com poster:

"The only team a zone defense was effective in stopping was the Pistons."

11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Who said that?

12. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Kind of depressing. I was just watching Spurs/Mavs game. Both of these teams look better. The Pistons did not look better. By a long shot they did not. It's kind of hard as a fan for the Pistons to look worse than they did at the end of the playoffs. And yeah, it is the first game of the season. Sigh.

13. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

It is too early to make a definitive statement. Maybe after 20 games.

But one has to wonder if this team has gotten too old or slow in key positions. Ben would have helped as opposed to Nazr. Ben would have helped a lot vs. the Buck layup drill. But he wouldn't have been a cureall.

One has to wonder about the coaching. Our defense has continually slipped since Larry left. OK. But we were suppose to get offense to compensate. Our offense again was undefined and turnover prone just as it was in the playoffs vs. Cleveland and Miami. These trends are worrisome.

14. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice to see you back around lapiston! :)

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Thanks, Micro. I have been busy. And I have been hurting about losing Ben. I hope that the Buck game is not real. Our guys looked slow. I am beginning to wonder about the coaching with last year's playoffs in mind. Still, lets give this team some time.

16. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

The Pistons have a bigger adjustment period this year than they did last year with the new players and the lost of Ben.

I'm going to be patient with this team and see if they improve to the point where you feel comfortable to put them as true championship contenders.

I think even at this point that they still will make the ECF, but Championship is a wait and see if they will adjust correctly. SHEED is the main cog. GO PISTONS!!!!!:stirthepot:

17. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think if you look back over the Pistons games the last couple of years especially last year they had a lot of trouble defending against the better guards in the league. The first game this year was no exception.

Also, the Pistons have had trouble with the Bucks over the last few years and maybe longe. Even when the Pistons beat them the Bucks usually gave them a tough game, primarily because of the fact the Bucks offense has been guard orientated the last few years.

18. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Redd has been giving us alot of problems in the past:hoops:

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Better, but I was getting really pissed off in the beginning. There was way too much penetration early. Good thing the Pistons adjusted though.

20. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Is it me or do the Pistons seem confused and uninterested in the beginning of games??