Not very encouraging...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Dlev59, Nov 2, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's not you.

The team is lacking leadership and I don't think it is something you can import via trade.
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Well, let's hope not; because it sure isn't going to come from anyone on this team. Besides, you'd be surprised that it only takes one in starting a mental transformation.
  3. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

No identity. My philosophy is this: Teams generally take on the identity of it's coach.

Since Flip has no identity or personality, what you are seeing is true to form.

I can't believe that I have fell so far from the Flip bandwagon....Sheesh.....
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I am convinced that if things continue as they are, Joe D will not stand by and do nothing. Now, what will he do? I have no idea, however, something will have to be done.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

This is not high school.
  6. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Yeah these guys get paid a lot of money to do what AG is complaining about.
  7. Dlev59

The eight game winning streak by the Pistons were a breath of fresh air indeed. Contributions from our bench, the vaunted zone defense seemed to be working and all was well in the universe.

Then we visited Charlotte and lost. Then the Blazers came to our house, where Zach and his buddies spanked us.

It`s still very early in the season, however, losing to these two teams especially at home makes me angry. I just wish it would make the players angry too.

A win against Dallas and the Magic would be nice, or should I say encouraging.
  8. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

This was the first time I've ever sat totally emotionless watching a Piston loss. As I watched all of the treys go up, I was resigned to accepting a loss. Couldn't even get excited when we took a late lead.
  9. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

People are people, whether in high school or a retirement home. It doesn't matter whether they are paid minium wage or a max deal, sometimes people need to be fired up. If you don't think that's an important part of cocahing, consider that the 3 best coaches of the past 30 years, Phil Jackson, Chuck Daly and Pat Riley, were all master motivators. It doesn't matter how good a tactician Flip is if he's a complete failure at the other part of his job.
  10. Dlev59

Flip is a good tactician??????
  11. hack

Not in game in the playoffs, no. But people argue that he's pressed the right buttons this year in the regular season, or that the zone is working well, or the that offense is efficient, etc.

I can't comment on this year because I haven't seen games, and I overall think his tactics are ill-conceived, but at least the argument can be made that he's somewhat competent in these areas. No one can argue that he's a good leader/motivator/ego handler.
  12. Slippy

I think flips schemes, both offensive and defensive, work well. When the players execute it, we get a lot of open looks. I also believe that he is too wrapped up in the execution of his plays. At some point you just need to get players to play at a consistent level effort-wise. We are unable to get stop when we need it it seems.

This team really needs a shake up. change the line up. change the roster. I think we just have to stir the pot a little cuz the kids at the bottom are getting burnt. :stirthepot:
  13. roscoe36

I agree whole heartedly, but who do you shuffle?

Depending on who you ask, Sheed or CB are the guys in need of being shook up.

CB would be selling incredibly low if we were to trade him, unless we demanded a whackload of picks or a recent lottery draft player back.

Sheed is our only talented big with experience. Dale is experienced but on the downside, I'm not really sure if Nazr is experienced or talented (with all due respect) and Amir totally lacks experience.

Any significant shake up is going to compromise the season. I am ok with that. But is Joe D?

I just considered that if the coaching staff and Joe think that Flip Murray can bring quality as a starter, perhaps Rip could be had in trade for the right offer.
  14. Slippy

well then do a lineup change. I think rip off the bench maybe. CB, Flip, Tay, Naz, Sheed.

flip still plays about the same minutes and Rip comes in early. DD should get more time. maybe he should start the 2nd and 3rd Q's. Delfino is ok where he is at...just needs a few 2nd half minutes. Maxiell needs to be in the rotation with limited minutes.

Really, the goal here is to integrate some new guys with the starting unit. CB needs to feel comfortable with flip M in the trenches.
  15. roscoe36

I'd like to see Nazr off the bench.

Change him in for Davis around the 10 minute mark of the first Q with Dice coming in for Sheed.

The real issue here that other people are starting to notice is that Flip only get touches offensively when CB is off the floor. Chauncey needs to either solve that, or we need to do a wholesale swap of Murray + Delfino/Blalock for Rip and CB.

If you wanna make an omellette, you gotta break some eggs.
  16. Slippy

This is like Coca-Cola. For Years Coke was sitting pretty on its marketshare while Pepsi was more aggressive. As the Pepsi generation matured, they stuck with what was marketed to them. Coke panicked and made New Coke. We don't want New Coke. We want classic coke. But marketshare is something you need to constantly adapt with.

Tweak the team before you think you need to make a wholesale blunder.
  17. roscoe36

I just realized I wrote poorly. I meant a wholesale substitution of PG/SG rather than adding Murray for Nazr and playing small ball.

Funny how just two season ago we were so excited about having a lot of bigs.

Davis, Darko, Ben, Sheed, Dice after a season of Darko, Memo, Ben, Sheed, Campbell.

Nazr not getting playing time consistently is turning into a major disappointment. We need 35 MPG from our big free agent acquisition, and yet Flip was on the radio yesterday (my recording got botched) saying the Pistons would play center by committee and that Nazr is never going to be a 35 MPG guy.

Is Joe a bad shopper or is Flip a bad cook? Or is it a little of both?
  18. max

max All-Star

Mohammed has not been playing well. It was a panick move by Dumars.

Our bigs Sheed, Dyess, Mohamed, Davis, Maxiel, Johnson.

We have 6 if you want to play them.
  19. hack

Agree with Roscoe that each of our pieces are hard to trade. IMO, the answer is obvious -- NEW COACH.