NOVICE Fantasy Basketball 2009

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by roscoe36, Oct 9, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Fantastic draft.

2. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Allright, will whoever almost gave me a heart attack by saying that Leandro Barbosa is injured and out for two months right after I drafted him in the draft this morning please post a link? Because I have looked at yahoo, there is no injury flag. Espn.com no injury posted. Rotowire no injury. Google no injury. Unless you are talking about the one that happened in April 2009 and which he recovered from and went on to win a gold medal with the Brazil National team. Hello? :rolleyes:

I specifically watched the NBATV news ticker last night before I went to bed for any recent injuries to any NBA players before I drafted. How could I miss this one to one of my alltime favs? Please someone advise if Barbosa is really out so I can put him on my bench. If it's true, it sure is a scoop.:sssh:

P.S. That really was a fantastic and fun draft. Really really.

3. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

When you put Barbosa to bench, no dissapointment is guaranteed.Don't play=don't suck.

4. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Is that why Barbosa won the Sixth Man of the Year Award in 2007? Because he was so horrible that he sat on the bench and never played? Why he shares company with Jason Terry, Manu Ginobili, Mike Miller, Ben Gordon (who won it as a rookie), Antawn Jamison as all winners of that award? Really, I think you just don't like the guy rax. He can play ball and he is super fast like lightning up and down the court. Now that Phoenix isn't playing half-court ball, their style should fit his skill set real nicely again. Seven seconds or less, baby, seven seconds or less.

5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Aurora, it was I who spoke the untruth. I had Barbosa mistaken for his former team mate Raja Bell, who is injured. Sorry about the mini-heart attack.

6. hitafreethrow

I should have known because Leandra is clearly better looking that Raja.

Anyways, I need a point guard. Roscoe you got point guards. You wanna trade Calderon or Devin Harris?

7. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Oh okay I'm just so relieved it wasn't Barbosa who went down. Thanks for letting me know. It was gallant of you to speak up.:) Now I can set about worrying about someone else from my draft.

How did I end up with so many backup guards? Sigh. I guess I need to admit I'm some kind of bench addict. The Afflalos and Amirs of the NBA universe cry out to me. I meant to get starters, but for some reason....none appeal. LOL.

8. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I tried to talk trash as gallantly as I could....:p

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not sure why I picked Blake Griffin so high. I don't even know if he's going to start.

Great draft, I was happy I got to be there for almost all of it. I should have known that after I left the computer would pick someone who is injured for the next 4 months.:gun1:

10. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

:rofl:You are fine rax. LOL. I'm overly sensitive about my guys. After all we just started our one week training camp this afternoon and the guys are getting moved into their lockers, and arguing over parking spaces and texting to their friends and families about getting comp tickets to opening night.

It's really a good thing Roscoe gave us all another week to get our feet on the ground. I had no idea how unready they would be to play :hoops:.

11. roscoe36

So, who had the best draft?

12. hitafreethrow

I'm a little unsettled about my lack of point guard, but other than that I am feeling good about most of my other positions. Nap'd Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez with the 24th and 25th pick, thinking I would play JJ mostly at the SG spot, and try to pick up guality point guard with my 48 or 49th pick. Very satisfied with Brook Lopez being my main big, fairly confident in the fact he will be the 2nd best player on the Nets this season.

So with Harris, Kidd, and Rondo (the best 2nd tier PGs that I was even interested in) were gone by my 48th pick, I decided to fill out my bigs with quality likes of Nene, David West, Troy Murphy, Bargnani, Boozer, and Beidrins all being taken before my final pick of the 4th round, I decided the value of the risk/reward in Elton Brand was worth it. If he stays healthy, he will put up top 5 center numbers.
    I had a few choices with the 49th pick, but with young and athletic Al Horford still on the board I had to take him. Been healthy so far, while his side-kick Josh Smith is continually injured, setting Horford up to fill in the gaps.
    Seeing quality point guards fall off the board through the 5th and 6th round (Parker, Monta Ellis, Jameer Nelson), my bigs set, and most 2nd tier sure fire SG's gone, I decided to take some chances. Both Eric Gordon (yes Eric Gordon, who I feel will have a much better fantasy season than our own Ben Gordon) and Anthony Randolph (whos ceiling is as high as anyones in the league, and playing on a bad run-n-gun team) were steals IMHO at the 72nd and 73rd picks.

As Roscoe said in the draft, this is the time where the draft slows down, and you have to sift through players to find the hidden gems. The sleepers. The players that make or break your fantasy team.
    I took Loul Deng at the end of the 8th round which I was semi-hesitant about, but I think he could bounce back. Oden at the beginning of the 9th round was a shot in the dark. Maybe he's healthy. Maybe he can grab some boards. He will for sure kill my FT percentage, so he may never see the court. I will need at least 7 boards from him to get any minutes.

At this point I am totally lacking a PG. I'm starting to think maybe JJ might be my PG, and I should move Deng to G, but that is a weak lineup, so I scooped up two point guards (Chris Duhon in New York and Chalmers in Miami) that have the opportunity to score a little, assist alot, and go for alot of steals. So now I can move JJ to SG, Duhon to PG, Gordon to the G slot.

I am feeling pretty good. Two roster spots left, I need another G, and another F. So I went with one that can play both in Nocioni, and since Garcia is hurt, I figure Noc can put up Ginobli-esque numbers for at least the first 2 months of the season. Ryan Gomes was a no brainer, with Kevin Love injured, and Al Jeff a rebound away from a season ending knee or ankle injury.

Overall, I am pretty happy. I could have taken Parker for my PG at the beginning of the 3rd round, I could have chosen Chris Paul first, which would have solved that problem right way. Either way, I am feeling good. Ya'll are done. Good luck.

freethrowsbaby 1. (1) LeBron James 2. (24) Joe Johnson 3. (25) Brook Lopez 4. (48) Elton Brand 5. (49) Al Horford 6. (72) Eric Gordon 7. (73) Anthony Randolph 8. (96) Luol Deng 9. (97) Greg Oden 10. (120) Chris Duhon 11. (121) Mario Chalmers 12. (144) Andres Nocioni 13. (145) Ryan Gomes

13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Would anyone care to post the results of the draft?

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

ok, my overview.

First and the most important thing: in real NBA there are 25 teams who could use additional big man either in PF or C spot, or frequently, on both.

But this FL is set by position so that big men take four of 10 active slots.

Consequently my strategy was to nab bigs first, others spots,well, there are plenty of quality with later picks.

My 4th pick: good, but I was nervous that somebody takes Dwight Howard before my choice. God thanks that NBA has hyped lebron, kobe and paul so high that "brainwashed" top three had only before mentioned names in their mind:))

with 21st pick I quietly hoped that Duncan is forgotten by overexcited drafters but damn autopicking Rocastle nabbed him in front of me.

I considered Brooke Lopez or Okur but I decided that Aldridge simply is the best from remaining, Lopez has still something to prove, Okur is peaking and Aldridge has best year(s) coming....

Initial big men problem solved, it is time to turn attention to next burning issue: are there any good PG's left? There must be! Harris gone, Billups gone...

Voila! Kidd and Rondo coming closer and closer...Damn CJ took Kidd but Rondo is right here!

Did I mention relative rarity of big men? It is time to fill roster before I have no choice than pick uh "kwame browns".

Andrea Bargnani had great 2nd half season and as good as Okur, I'd say. Also Bargnani helps to ease my total lack of 3pt shooting so far: 2 in 1 with pick 45.

It was time to get my 2nd playmaker: Tony Parker, to my amazement was unpicked ( ppl nabbed desperately big men) I had prepared to take Ramon session, Stuckey-like and top30 player(IMO) was in my roster as 52nd pick .

Andrew Bynum was natural choice with 69; thank you very much. All those before taken bierdrinses-brands-boozers are streaky and unreliable.

Now backcourt: in spite of half draft passed, plenty of good shooters available.

Mo Williams was the best available 3pt shooter, therefore to take.

Rip - we all know what you can get from him. Either he comes from bench or starts, he scores. Too turnover prone, though. Pick 93

Al Thornton - solid year with increased minutes. 100th.

Marc Gasol and Ramon Sessions: hopefully good year( do not have to be breakout season, simply developement) 117&124.

Last two picks, Outlaw and Kenyon Martin are fillers, probably will drop them( actually already dropped Martin when I read that Steve Blake is set as starter in Portland, added, - help in assist and 3pt shooting)

I own this league in blocks, rebounds and FG% but my FT% suffers and 3pt shooting is almost invisible. Lots of turnovers too. Scoring is OK.

small ball fan 1. (4) Dwight Howard 2. (21) LaMarcus Aldridge 3. (28) Rajon Rondo 4. (45) Andrea Bargnani 5. (52) Tony Parker 6. (69) Andrew Bynum 7. (76) Mo Williams 8. (93) Richard Hamilton 9. (100) Al Thornton 10. (117) Marc Gasol 11. (124) Ramon Sessions 12. (141) Travis Outlaw 13. (148) Kenyon Martin

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

reethrowsbaby 1. (1) LeBron James 2. (24) Joe Johnson 3. (25) Brook Lopez 4. (48) Elton Brand 5. (49) Al Horford 6. (72) Eric Gordon 7. (73) Anthony Randolph 8. (96) Luol Deng 9. (97) Greg Oden 10. (120) Chris Duhon 11. (121) Mario Chalmers 12. (144) Andres Nocioni 13. (145) Ryan Gomes Sandwich Microwaves 1. (2) Chris Paul 2. (23) Jose Calderon 3. (26) Devin Harris 4. (47) Andris Biedrins 5. (50) Zach Randolph 6. (71) Emeka Okafor 7. (74) Luis Scola 8. (95) Marvin Williams 9. (98) Shaquille O'Neal 10. (119) Jamal Crawford 11. (122) Tayshaun Prince 12. (143) Louis Williams 13. (146) Channing Frye CJ's Coynesters 1. (3) Dwyane Wade 2. (22) Antawn Jamison 3. (27) Jason Kidd 4. (46) Carlos Boozer 5. (51) Manu Ginobili 6. (70) Al Harrington 7. (75) Blake Griffin 8. (94) Chris Kaman 9. (99) Wilson Chandler 10. (118) Will Bynum 11. (123) Francisco Garcia 12. (142) Shane Battier 13. (147) Aaron Brooks small ball fan 1. (4) Dwight Howard 2. (21) LaMarcus Aldridge 3. (28) Rajon Rondo 4. (45) Andrea Bargnani 5. (52) Tony Parker 6. (69) Andrew Bynum 7. (76) Mo Williams 8. (93) Richard Hamilton 9. (100) Al Thornton 10. (117) Marc Gasol 11. (124) Ramon Sessions 12. (141) Travis Outlaw 13. (148) Kenyon Martin Leicester Arsenal 1. (5) Kobe Bryant 2. (20) Tim Duncan 3. (29) Andre Iguodala 4. (44) Rashard Lewis 5. (53) Jason Richardson 6. (68) Ben Gordon 7. (77) Mike Bibby 8. (92) Kevin Love 9. (101) Boris Diaw 10. (116) Thaddeus Young 11. (125) Peja Stojakovic 12. (140) Mike Dunleavy 13. (149) Tracy McGrady Ryderz 1. (6) Dirk Nowitzki 2. (19) Steve Nash 3. (30) Gerald Wallace 4. (43) Troy Murphy 5. (54) Ray Allen 6. (67) Jameer Nelson 7. (78) Andre Miller 8. (91) Josh Howard 9. (102) Brad Miller 10. (115) Jason Thompson 11. (126) Ronnie Brewer 12. (139) Larry Hughes 13. (150) Brandon Rush Denver Squirrels 1. (7) Danny Granger 2. (18) Chauncey Billups 3. (31) Gilbert Arenas 4. (42) David Lee 5. (55) Monta Ellis 6. (66) O.J. Mayo 7. (79) Paul Millsap 8. (90) Richard Jefferson 9. (103) Rodney Stuckey 10. (114) Jermaine O'Neal 11. (127) Stephen Curry 12. (138) Jonny Flynn 13. (151) Tyreke Evans Ballaholics 1. (8) Kevin Durant 2. (17) Al Jefferson 3. (32) Paul Pierce 4. (41) Baron Davis 5. (56) Marcus Camby 6. (65) Charlie Villanueva 7. (80) Lamar Odom 8. (89) J.R. Smith 9. (104) Joakim Noah 10. (113) Chris Andersen 11. (128) Raymond Felton 12. (137) Rafer Alston 13. (152) Andray Blatche The Fibonacci's 1. (9) Pau Gasol 2. (16) Kevin Garnett 3. (33) Vince Carter 4. (40) Shawn Marion 5. (57) Stephen Jackson 6. (64) Michael Redd 7. (81) Russell Westbrook 8. (88) Spencer Hawes 9. (105) Mike Conley 10. (112) Andrei Kirilenko 11. (129) Courtney Lee 12. (136) Corey Maggette 13. (153) Yi Jianlian BK Kyiv 1. (10) Chris Bosh 2. (15) Brandon Roy 3. (34) Kevin Martin 4. (39) David West 5. (58) Rudy Gay 6. (63) Hedo Turkoglu 7. (82) Jeff Green 8. (87) Tyrus Thomas 9. (106) Trevor Ariza 10. (111) Tyson Chandler 11. (130) Nate Robinson 12. (135) Randy Foye 13. (154) Kirk Hinrich Smooth Criminals 1. (11) Amar'e Stoudemire 2. (14) Deron Williams 3. (35) Mehmet Okur 4. (38) Nene Hilario 5. (59) Leandro Barbosa 6. (62) Jason Terry 7. (83) Rasheed Wallace 8. (86) Ron Artest 9. (107) Allen Iverson 10. (110) Anthony Morrow 11. (131) Grant Hill 12. (134) D.J. Augustin 13. (155) Ben Wallace State and Main 1. (12) Caron Butler 2. (13) Derrick Rose 3. (36) Carmelo Anthony 4. (37) Josh Smith 5. (60) John Salmons 6. (61) Andrew Bogut 7. (84) Michael Beasley 8. (85) T.J. Ford 9. (108) Mike Miller 10. (109) Rudy Fernandez 11. (132) Zydrunas Ilgauskas 12. (133) Samuel Dalembert 13. (156) Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:eek::dizzy2:

who can read that?

17. roscoe36

I'll post it all tomorrow.

18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

I'll do a more in depth play by play later but I do want to say that I did at least 12 mock drafts and was never able to get Amare and Deron together. I was quite despairing about it. And then my draft order was 11th and I guess no one wanted Amare. Sure he may be an injury risk, but if he stays healthy he could be a monster. And Deron is my very favorite point guard as I am a University of Illinois alumnus. So I'm just thrilled with my first two picks. After than it started to get dicey with this waiting a gazillion picks and then drafting two players so close together. But really I'm so glad none of you guys took Amare. It will be interesting to see what he'll do now that Shaq has gone on to be the Big Witness Protection Program. Oh, it was alot more fun drafting with real people instead of against the Yahoo computer too. It NEVER gave me Amare.

19. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer

I'll post my roster so you guys can help me analyse it. I'm pleased to have Kobe and Tim.

Mike Bibby
    Kobe Bryant
    Andre Iguodala
    Rashard Lewis
    Boris Diaw
    Jason Richardson
    Tim Duncan
    Kevin Love
    Ben Gordon
    Tracy McGrady
    Thaddeus Young
    Peja Stojakovic
    Mike Dunleavy

I was thinking about getting rid of Kevin Love as he's injured but beyond that I'm not sure what to think of my squad? Any thoughts?

20. Rocastle

Rocastle Bench Warmer